Quantcast August Heat! How to beat it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default August Heat! How to beat it?

For those of you who go in this dreadful heat, any tips/suggestions on trying to stay as cool as possible!!

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Plan your day out. Use the Extra Magic Hours to ride popular rides with long lines. Drink lots of fluids. Carry a water bottle with you. We like to take kool-aid or lemonade small packages to add to it. Take breaks when needed.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

We are going next August. I plan on bringning the neck cooling bands (you soak them in cold water and they stay cold). I also plan on a lot of pool time and maybe the water parks.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Be at the parks when they open and you can usually get evrything you want done by 1 or 2. Eat lunch and go home until around 6ish then plow onwards. Fun!

Post Thanks / Like

We always make sure we are at the parks at opening, and then we head back to the resort for pool time right after lunch. We also drink alot of water and carry the spray bottle that Disney sells.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!!

Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge (twice)
    Contemporary
    Yacht Club
    Polynesian
    Dixie Landings
    Coronodo Springs
    Pop Century (honeymoon!!)
    Up next CBR June 3-12!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping into the thread b/c I want to stay subscribed for the ideas... we're going next Aug, too, and will need all the tips we can get!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We've been a number of times in August, and every time it surprises me just how hot it really gets!

We do the same as the previous posters, start our days early, take an afternoon break at the pool, and then head back out in the evening when it is cooler.

We also walk through stores and indoor areas as much as possible, instead of out on the street, even a short blast of AC can help.

When we're feeling just to hot to cope, find a long indoor ride and settle in and cool off. Don't forget to drink A LOT and you'll be just fine.

On my first day of my first August trip, we went straight-through all day, I didn't have enough to drink and actually ended up sitting on the sidewalk crying that I was too hot and tired. So, don't push it, and take advantage of being able to slip into cool places all around Disney.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We actually have a page in Info Central that you might want to check out:

Surviving the Summer Heat
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We just recently returned from a late July / early August trip and also had trips the last two years in August (though this year was the hottest of them all)!

We try to visit the parks in the morning and plan a table service meal for mid day before returning to our resort for some pool and in-room rest. If you don't do table service, pick an indoor counter service venue and eat leisurely. It will give you time to cool down a bit. You can then head back out to the parks in the evening.

We also tried to alternate an air conditioned attraction with those that keep you out of doors. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean before or after Jungle Cruise (which takes place all out of doors).

Walking through the shops is also a good idea when it is so hot.

It is necessary to stay hydrated. Drink water even when you don't feel thirsty. Waiting until you feel thirsty may mean that you're already dehydrated.

Move slowly. Don't rush from point a to b. No reason to make yourself even hotter by rushing!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much everybody for all your tips! They will help tremendously. We leave next week!!

Post Thanks / Like

We just came back last week and it was the hottest I remember it being, even for August.

I had a little tiny battery operated fan from Walmart and that helped. I also bought a little $6 fan in China (manual folding type) and that helped too.

I brought a face cloth from the resort and used that to mop up my sweat too.

Most of all, drink a LOT of water. Soda dehydrates you too much as does alcohol.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Water is the key... Really, I'm about a gallon in by the time we break for the day. Freezing water bottles will help, I bring two bottles to the park in the am, one cold, one frozen. The cold one is usually done shortly after going through the turnstiles, and the frozen one won't usually make it past 11.

Also, sandals of some sort will help keep your feet cooler, which helps keep your whole body cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try coming to N.E. Ohio to beat it. Avg. high this week is 92. It may be cooler in Disney! I'll find out in 19 days!!!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beating the Heat

Just returned from our 2nd August trip and yes, this one was hot! We plan our day a little differently than everyone else. Have a late CS breakfast, go for a swim to cool off, get to the parks between 12 & 1. Have a CS lunch (usually air conditioned), then choose indoor or water attractions because the park starts to clear out = shorter lines. TS dinner, then outdoor stuff at night with Extra Magic Hours. DS(10) and DS(6) are night owls, so they don't tire until about 11 pm. And as everyone else said, DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!! Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from a HOT trip last week. On top of what everyone else said, I think you really have to go into it knowing you are going to be a hot sweaty mess. After about 10 minutes and every inch of your body is sweating, you still have to keep a positive attitude!! Call me crazy, but after a few days I was just like "What the hey, its hot."
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to the World twice in Aug. and i agree with everything everyone else said. I just wanted to add that if at all possible be flexible on which park you are going to, and watch the weather the night before to see what the temp is going to be the next day. The first Aug. I went we had every day planed needless to say the day we went to AK it was 105 in the shade by 10am and there is no place to really hide except the Conservation Station (we have pictures of me passed out on a bench inside the building) I can tell you it made for an awful day
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: