Quantcast How far can Disney go and keep you coming back?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How far can Disney go and keep you coming back?

We've all been a little more disgruntled with Disney's blatant greed as of late. Tell me, where is your threshold as far as how much more you'll take before planning a new vacation destination?

This was supposed to be a poll but it didn't go through. Here were the choices, choose all that apply:

1. If I have to pay to park at a value or any other resort onsite, I'll stay off site and maybe visit other theme parks in the area.

2. If the tickets go over $85 per day per park, forget it!!

3. I always have thought that Disney should be only for the wealthy...bring on the price hikes!

4. I have already stopped going. Just can't justify the cost anymore.

5. I'll never stop going! I would sell my left lung for the magic!!!
    Last edited by Mickey91; 08-07-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: To add original poll questions that didn't show up
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know anyone who actually buys a one day/one park ticket?
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

Post Thanks / Like

Frequency and length have already gone way down. Spending is WAY down as well.

Honestly, my last trip was an eye opener as well. I've discovered it not really necessary to hit the parks every day either, so I see the cost of our tickets dropping on upcoming trips too!

We've also started cooking in the room more, which is a significant savings for us.

As someone mentioned in another thread, there's only so much money allotted for different things. Just because they raise prices doesn't mean they are getting more money from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prices are up

Its getting very expensive to go to Disney. What people fail to realize that if the one day price go up the price for multiple days does goes up as well. The discount are based off the 1 day price. So even the multi day price goes up. Not to mention the price not to mention all the bells and wistles like park hopper, water park and more, and no expire ticket. So to say just one day price goes up is totally wrong. the price for all tickets go up. Its getting to point were going is expensive. I still love disney but go less and less.
    Here we go feel the flow its the universe of energy.

One little spark imagination, its how our minds create creation. Right at the start of everyting that's new one little spark light up for you.

Post Thanks / Like

We only go every three to four years so the price increase does not bother me as much. Yes I could be putting that money toward something else but since we don't go often I don't complain to much.
    Although I do have to question rainsing prices when the are having problems filling resrt rooms and offering all the special deals. But Disney seems to be becoming more about the all mighty dollar. What would Walt say?

Post Thanks / Like

THe price is definitely a big deal. We are DVC members and if the price tickets keep going up I think we have to start rethinking how many days we spend in the parks. We do not pay for one day tickets (I mean the price increase at $84 is just beyond ridiculous to me) but yes the packages are going up to and it's just getting to be a bit much.
    I know since I am a DVC member we are kind of locked into staying there...but I have no problems cooking in my room or going off site to eat either.
    There are soo many families that have enough trouble going before the price hikes. I can't imagine it getting any better for these families.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We have already started cutting back on our trips. We go less frequently, spend less days in the park, eat in the room more, and buy less "stuff" when we are there.

Donald'sGirl- We just bought one day tickets the day before the price hike. On this trip in October we are only going into the park for two days. With a 20 month old in tow and me being 25 weeks pregnant, we decided to spend more time relaxing at the pool and resort hopping! We are using our Give a Day, Get a Disney Day tickets for one day and bought one day tickets for the other.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney already lost a lot of our business. We are DVC so they have that as a lock but our resort days far out number our park days. I went there 3 times in 4 years without stepping foot in a park. Other then Earl of Sandwich, House of Blues and ESPN Club - our meals are pretty much off property. We buy groceries off property. We are not souvenir people.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Aiming to go back in 2013, but I cannot say if we will ever go back after that.

The big problem for me is that, despite the significant price increases over the last few years, the guest experience has taken a step back. I've had some concerns for a while, but then I am jacked into the history of the company and notice more details than others might. However, the experience has declined to the point where my wife was bringing it up on her own during our most recent trip (end of July). When we looked back at the 7 trips we have made since 2002, the worst trips for guest experience were after the rapid price increases started. We evaluated all the trips before I went back and realized the connection.

While we encountered a few wonderful CMs on our recent trip, the vast majority seemed to be so sarcastic, cynical, and rude that it just blew my mind. Some of the comments I heard them making to guests were so amazing that I just stopped in place. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so stunned that I would've believed they outsourced the park CMs to another company. I don't believe it is a July thing, because I've been 3 times in July.

I will always be a Disney fan, even if it is only in a historical context, but the price (and other business decisions) wouldn't bother me so much if I thought they were justified by an increase in quality (or even quantity) of experiences available at Walt Disney World. Instead, it seems like the only thing going up at WDW are the prices.

Post Thanks / Like

We typically go every 2 years with a trip to a different destination in between. I suppose if cost became an issue we could stretch that out. We typically go when there's some sort of discount and we'd continue to look for those kinds of savings.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to pay to park at a value or any other resort onsite, I'll stay off site and maybe visit other theme parks in the area.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Aiming to go back in 2013, but I cannot say if we will ever go back after that.

The big problem for me is that, despite the significant price increases over the last few years, the guest experience has taken a step back. I've had some concerns for a while, but then I am jacked into the history of the company and notice more details than others might. However, the experience has declined to the point where my wife was bringing it up on her own during our most recent trip (end of July). When we looked back at the 7 trips we have made since 2002, the worst trips for guest experience were after the rapid price increases started. We evaluated all the trips before I went back and realized the connection.

While we encountered a few wonderful CMs on our recent trip, the vast majority seemed to be so sarcastic, cynical, and rude that it just blew my mind. Some of the comments I heard them making to guests were so amazing that I just stopped in place. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so stunned that I would've believed they outsourced the park CMs to another company. I don't believe it is a July thing, because I've been 3 times in July.

I will always be a Disney fan, even if it is only in a historical context, but the price (and other business decisions) wouldn't bother me so much if I thought they were justified by an increase in quality (or even quantity) of experiences available at Walt Disney World. Instead, it seems like the only thing going up at WDW are the prices.
    I totally agree. And that is exactly where I was heading with this. The price increase, while hard on the pocket book, would at least be justified if the level of guest service and experiences had stayed the same as even say 2003. Since about 2005, every trip we have noticed less and less guest service, more cranky cms and less satisfying food. Less live entertainment, and less "little things that make the magic" adds to the question of price increases even more. The list of increased prices and less service is remarkable from resort amenities/entertainment to regular park and MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets and offerings. So sad.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Default We will still go..

The price increases have not deterred DH and I . We dont have kids, so I realize it is less expensive for just 2 adults. It is our favorite place and to be honest, we have always had wonderful experiences with CMs (a few were not that great, but not enough to ruin anything). When I think of our Disney trips - nothing negitive comes to mind in our memories...at all. I know prices need to go up...Disney is not a non-profit...and I understand that the material things that they need to operate have gone up in price as well...so therefore they must raises too...
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Frequency and length have already gone way down. Spending is WAY down as well.

Honestly, my last trip was an eye opener as well. I've discovered it not really necessary to hit the parks every day either, so I see the cost of our tickets dropping on upcoming trips too!

We've also started cooking in the room more, which is a significant savings for us.

As someone mentioned in another thread, there's only so much money allotted for different things. Just because they raise prices doesn't mean they are getting more money from me.
    The part about spending is so true. I'm only going to spend so much on my vacation. I guess The only difference is what I get in return. Charging me more for the room is just going to leave me less to spend in the parks. I guess they'd rather get $15 from me to park my car, rather than having to give me a mug in return. This time I'm getting free food, which is great, but they're taking away a lot of the magic by streamlining all of their merchandise with generic WDW stuff which must be cheaper to produce and
    distribute than attraction specific products.
    Anyway, as of this post, I feel the value of a WDW trip is still very high.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been going every 2-3 years. I come from far away so I stay for 2 weeks when I do come. That does get expensive, especially with dining.

I buy an annual pass due to my length of stay, and this year due to good rates on rooms I decided to go back for a second visit. With already having my annual passes and TIW card...combined with $63/night room at ASMov, it was too good to pass up.

Do all of you DVC members have APs?

I Love my WDW vacations. I have been to lots of other places with my kids as well (Mexico, Hawaii, cruise, etc...) but the place where I feel the best is WDW. I have seldom had a rude CM. I know they exist, and maybe I am just lucky. Disney has something that you just can't get anywhere else, so yes, I will still keep going.

We have a local fair/exhibition (Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver, BC) every August and it costs about $65 for a ticket to get into the fair including ride pass...then once inside you have to pay extra (about $5 a shot) for a few of the bigger "thrills" such as Hellavator, Haunted House or Drop Zone. They have shows, etc...but compared to Disney for $20 more there is just no comparison.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

We've all been a little more disgruntled with Disney's blatant greed as of late. Tell me, where is your threshold as far as how much more you'll take before planning a new vacation destination?
    Why is it when a company raises its prices it is greed? It boils me to read that every time. Disney is a FOR-PROFIT company. Each year everything in their cost centers rise, that includes salaraies, and vendor costs. So, for Disney to make a profit and also pay their employees raises, cost of living and promotional raises, the money has to come from somewhere. Also, when food costs or other costs go up, to keep profits at the same level, what Disney charge has to rise. Couple that with their responsibility to share-holders, and you can see why their prices go up each year.

Whine if you want, and I know anybody who calls profit-making "greed" will, but if you want anything close the fun experience you have come to expect, then prices will rise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post

We have a local fair/exhibition (Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver, BC) every August and it costs about $65 for a ticket to get into the fair including ride pass...then once inside you have to pay extra (about $5 a shot) for a few of the bigger "thrills" such as Hellavator, Haunted House or Drop Zone. They have shows, etc...but compared to Disney for $20 more there is just no comparison.
    I have to agree. When you go to a destination where you're paying seperately for everything you want to do, it's amazing how much it adds up to. Disney is not an inexpensive vacation, but I really feel we get the most bang for our buck there. That's one of the biggest reasons we keep going back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    Whine if you want, and I know anybody who calls profit-making "greed" will, but if you want anything close the fun experience you have come to expect, then prices will rise.
    I am thinking that THIS statement is at the crux of most of the complaints -- guests are NOT getting what they "have come to expect" from a Disney vacation. Notice all the comments on: the state of the attractions/rides/etc.; the attitudes of the CMs; the cutbacks in offerings/'entitlements' for accommodations/packages/etc.

Maybe we have all been "spoiled" in previous visits and want the same, or more, each time, but when customer satisfaction diminishes and costs to the customer continue to increase, there will come a point where the customer takes his/her business elsewhere. It is the same in ANY business.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We love Disney and go at least twice a year. I
    was so sorry to hear about the price increase
    but it will not stop us from going. We love the
    Magic so we will keep on going. We are going
    in October and I am waiting on a discount for
    our room. I hope it comes out soon. I have not
    heard how much the Florida resident ticket is
    since the increase. Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    Why is it when a company raises its prices it is greed? It boils me to read that every time. Disney is a FOR-PROFIT company. Each year everything in their cost centers rise, that includes salaraies, and vendor costs. So, for Disney to make a profit and also pay their employees raises, cost of living and promotional raises, the money has to come from somewhere. Also, when food costs or other costs go up, to keep profits at the same level, what Disney charge has to rise. Couple that with their responsibility to share-holders, and you can see why their prices go up each year.

I went to the store the other day to pick up some dog food. I have a couple of large dogs, so I get the big 40 lbs bag, it lasts me a few weeks.

When I got to the check-out line, much to my surprise, it was $5 more a bag than what I remember. Oh well, price go up, gas is going up, I can deal with that.

When I got home, I noticed the 40 lbs bag was only 35 lbs. Now I'm mad!

Same thing!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: