Quantcast do you always get soaked on the kali river rapids?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do you always get soaked on the kali river rapids?

Do you always get soaked on the kali river rapids? i have only rode it once, years ago, i loved it but did get soaked.(kind of the same with slash mountain, i love it, but not walking around wet) My family wants to try it this october and i was thinking maybe it should be the last thing we do that day so we wont have to walk around wet all day and we can go back to the hotel and change. Anyone like to share their experience on this?

2009 pop century
    2007 off site
    2003 ASM
    1998 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been soaked on some occasions while other times just somewhat wet and dried quickly. If you don't kike walking around wet or it isn't hot enough to dry you quickly, go later in the day before you head out of the park. Watch the lines...may want to get a fast pass as so you don't miss it all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have gotten soaked many times on both rides. I have to say my years going to Disney I have gotten soaked in the middle of the day so I can be refreshed!!! So, it depends on how hot it is to decide whether or not to go on it in the middle of the day or the last thing you do on that day.....
    2002 January All Star Movies
    2004 Pop Century
    2005 French Quarter
    2006 Pop Century
    2008 Beach Club
    2010 May All Star Movies

2012 May Port Orleans Riverside :)

"Faith,Trust,and a little bit of Pixie Dust"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've only ridden it once, so I don't know how helpful I will be! My DH were at AK on our anniversary and it was a hot day in December. We rode Kali around 1 or 2 PM. We had only seen about half of the park. We knew we were in trouble when kids were seated directly across from us, making us the "heavy side". Yep, soaked through everything!!!!!! Thankfully our shoes were dry since we had them up! When we went down one of the big hills, our backs were heading down first. So a huge wave hit us! I was in jeans and gained about 10 pounds of water! Needless to say we had to get on a bus to go back to POP to change! So now we will be taking ponchos to help reduce the wetness and still enjoy the thrills! Plus, we will probably opt to save this ride for the end of our day at the AK, just in case we still get wet with our ponchos!

For perspective, my sisters and I went to Disneyland in May and rode the Grizzly Rapids there (same concept) and all wore ponchos. We did get hit pretty good with waves since there was an empty seat and a child across from us. We just had random wet spots but none of us were soaked! Allowing us to continue with our day without having to go and change!

As for Splash Mountain at WDW, my DH and I got a little wet, but not bad at all (I think it's because the boats are wider since you sit 2 to a row). However, when I went to Disneyland with my sisters, they made me sit in the front and we had tiny tweens at the back of the boat. My sisters wore ponchos but I said I'd be fine (I had never gotten really wet on Splash Mountain EVER!). Big mistake!! I was sooo soaked, and of course wearing jeans again! Thankfully, my one sister and I were already planning to head back to our hotel to soak in the hot tub for a bit, so I was able to change! Lesson learned, ponchos can be a life saver!!

I used to laugh when I would see people putting ponchos on! Now I've converted ! Unless I know we are heading immediately to our resort, a poncho will be used by me! Hope this helps!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

unless it is very hot, and feeling adventurise, i will be wearing a poncho! Thanks for the advice! we are going in october so not sure how the weather will be that day. and we will probably wait till the end of the day, but thanks about the advice on the lines! i didn't think about that. i would hate to anticipate it all day and then miss out on it all together because the lines were too long.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I always change into our bathing suits with a tank top and shorts we dont mind getting wet along with our water shoes, after we ride we chane back into our dry clothes, no chafeing (spelling?) no icky wet feeling all day...
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Every time we've ridden there have been 1-2 people on the raft that have stayed relatively dry, 1-3 people soaked, and everyone else in between.

Who gets what though is like playing water roulette, literally.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on Kali a few times and have stayed relatively dry, gotten moderately soaked, and been completely drenched from head to toe. Some rides where I've stayed pretty dry, the person sitting next to me has gotten soaked. Not sure how I've managed that. Part of the reason why I like this ride so much is due to the fact that you never really know how wet/dry you'll be. Changes everytime you ride it.
    Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge-twice
    Polynesian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Pop Century

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

There is a sign in the queue that says " You will get wet, you may get soaked!" It is totally true, true, true. I always invest in a set of cheap (99 cent) ponchos for the whole family that you can find at Walmart in the camping section or even at Academy. We don our ponchos, ride a couple of times in a row and then gift them to other guests who are just beginning to get in line. I have yet to have anyone turn them down.

Even with the ponchos you can still get wet, so make sure you are strategically covered. Also, you have to watch for the squirting elephants at the end.....

We do the same for Splash - although this ride, while it can get you pretty wet and uncomfortable, has not near the potential to get you soaked as Kali River Rapids. Once my daughter avioded the poncho and got so wet and uncomfortable in her jeans we had to take her back to the hotel to change. She since has learned better to be safe (and DRY) than sorry.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

We always get soaked. When we do go on these two rides, it is usually near the end of the day. DW is a water magnet on these rides.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Someone in the party will get soaked! It just depends if you are at the bottom or top on the way down.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Getting soaked is hit or miss.

This is what WE do. We obviously know which days we're going to AK, so we pack accordingly. We wear lighter fabrics (or athletic fabrics) that dry quickly, like the UnderArmour stuff. We usually wear sandals as well. No socks. Or, once I did wear tennis shoes and socks, but had flip flops in a backpack, and just switched them out before we got on the ride. There is no better feeling than getting soaked, but putting on dry socks and shoes when you're done.

We do the same for the kids. We set aside their "Animal Kingdom" clothes and know that's when we wear them.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poncho

Wear a poncho if you don't want to get wet. Not everyone does jsut depends on where you are in the boat. Splash mountain seems to be the front of the boat that gets soaked. Either way they are both great rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the other posts say. Hit or miss. For some reason I always get "HIT!!", and laugh like crazy!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

First time we road it we got drenched. It took a long time to dry out. Our sneakers never did. Got back to resort & we took turns drying them out with hair dryer so we could wear them to dinner.

Next time we rode it we wore a poncho. It was the last thing we did before leaving the park. As we removed the poncho we gave them to the next group of people getting ready to ride

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Almost always.... my DH says he's got it figured out, though. Not that there's any way to plan how your raft is going to turn, but he swears (and I've been the recipient, so I know it's true... ) that if you're sitting facing backwards as you go down the big rapids (after the area where the truck is burning, etc.), you're gonna get it.

We always ride it midday at AK just to cool off... did make the mistake of riding it once, though, at the end of the day... BIG mistake, as we got DRENCHED and then froze on the bus all the way back to our resort.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    my DH says he's got it figured out, though. Not that there's any way to plan how your raft is going to turn, but he swears (and I've been the recipient, so I know it's true... ) that if you're sitting facing backwards as you go down the big rapids (after the area where the truck is burning, etc.), you're gonna get it.
    This is 100% accurate!! I always end up backwards and I am always absolutely soaked!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Even a poncho won't help if you are the downhill side, backwards as you hit the water after the big downhill run. You may keep your shoulders dry with a poncho, but your butt will still get soaked.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Almost always.... my DH says he's got it figured out, though. Not that there's any way to plan how your raft is going to turn, but he swears (and I've been the recipient, so I know it's true... ) that if you're sitting facing backwards as you go down the big rapids (after the area where the truck is burning, etc.), you're gonna get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    This is 100% accurate!! I always end up backwards and I am always absolutely soaked!
    I concur. those going down the hill backwards get hit with the tidal wave.

The best is when people think they're not going to because they're not the one's facing backwards but at the last minute the raft bumps the wall and spins just before the drop and they end up getting it.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Wet n Wild

My wife is always the unfortunate one to get wet. We rode twice last week. One time they had a geyser turned on, the second ride they didn't. There is one drop off that makes one lucky couple (seats are in twos) wet. My wife always is the lucky one - so if you want to take us along - we will be happy to go. Just make sure you are sitting opposite my wife!
    '76 - FW - Camper
    '81 - FW - Cabin
    '86 - FW - Cabin
    '91 - FW - Cabin (Engaged!!!)
    '00 - Tried to stay off site - couldn't do it - FW - Cabin
    '02 - FW - Cabin
    '05 - POR (Wished we had a cabin)
    JULY 2010 - AKKV - YEAH!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: