Quantcast Stroller question: Do you still use a stroller for kids and if not-when did you stop

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stroller question: Do you still use a stroller for kids and if not-when did you stop

My kids just turned 6 and 9, and while I would never put them in a stroller at home, we are going to disney mid aug - and it may be a battle for them to do all of that walking. We went twice before (they were 2&5 and 4&7 at the times and we used a double stroller). My son (6) will be less likely to walk as much and tolerate the heat as well - but if he is in a stroller then my daughter (9) will whine all day and want her turn.

I would love to go stroller-less, but at the same time their complaining may be painful to listen to and it is nice to have a stroller to put your 'stuff' in.

I certainly do not want to pay 33 a day for a disney double rental stroller (that is close to 20% of the cost of the whole trip) even though they are nice and easy to push. BUT my kids are 6 and 9 and both weigh in the 70's!!

Do you think there is any double jogging stroller that would accomodate them? i would be willing to buy one right before the trip and then resell it upon returning as almost new with box and receipt and not take too mcuh of a loss.

It would have to be easy to push as it would be too hard to push around 140 lbs in a traditional stroller.

Ideas???? Or should I just make them walk?
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect intended but.... REALLY? A nine year-old should not be the dictator of your trip. I can understand the 6 yr old not being able to walk it but not a 9 year old. I would certainly get her in training right now walking a little farther each day and also a little less whining each day. Btw, I have 3 children ages 6, 11 and 15. We have basically gone to WDW every year for the last 7 years and have experience almost all ages during this time from infant - teens. Whining is NOT allowed. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that nine year olds are kids too with developing legs & muscles ... and not every one has the same physical abilities.

Little legs sometimes are dealing with growth spurts and the like. My sister had episodes at around the age of 9 where she could not stand or walk suddenly during a trip to Action Park (now defunct) in NJ. MY dad had to carry her - it was a long dark downhill road to the car. I still remember her pitifully crying softly due to the pain in her legs. Her legs also would give out after just a half day a Great Adventure and my dad would carry her to the car there too. Eventually her legs got stronger when our Dr. prescibed exercises and orthotics that helped and she stopped growing like a weed.

Basically, I'm saying you know your kids and what they are dealing with, so if the stroller will make it a better trip for all - go fo it.

I am however, just wondering if you should go the route of a double stroller - can your kids take turns riding in one stroller or can you get two strollers or a stroller and a wheel chair? Not that I'm promoting the use of wheel chairs for those who don't require them, but if something is medically amiss ... why not ask your Dr?

A "heavy duty" jogging double umbrella might be a "bear to manage" especially on the buses. Be sure to read other parents reviews before selecting.

Have you considered some of the of off-site stroller rental companies? I have no idea how their prices compare to buying & resale like you mentioned in your post though.

BTW - I have seen countless adults riding all scrunched up in WDW strollers over the years - honestly. Don't be embarassed.

Hope this helps!

Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

we were in Disney 2 years ago and my daughter was 5. We rented a stroller for her at epcot because she just could not make it! made all our lives easier..it is such a big park and the heat gets to you. This year we go again in August and she will be 7. We are going to try without the stroller, but we'll just play it by ear. I say you just have to do what is best for your family and that will be your answer. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 2 and 6m so yes we do use a double. We took the nieces when they were 4 & 6 and we went without a stroller. It was fine. If the kids get tired take a break. There is no need to push everyone to the limit. Since you asked, 6 is border line and 9 is certainly too old. You will not find a regular stroller that is made to accommodate 140lbs and I think that alone really answers the question. If there is some kind of medical reason for a stroller you can always find special needs strollers for just about any weight, but they are expensive.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

When the kids were 5 and 2.5, we rented a double stroller.

When the kids were 6.5 and 4, we rented a double stroller.

When the kids were 9 and 6.5, we went without a stroller and it wasn't missed.

During that most recent trip (last year), we may have taken a few extra but brief rest breaks from walking, but we had no trouble. And my kids aren't the toughest kids around. We live 5 blocks from the beach and they sometimes complain about that walk!

Post Thanks / Like

We stopped at age 4 (a stroller-less park visit is sooo much easier! Honestly!) -- except for the Hallowe'en party when our youngest was 5 -- We rented one for the party, knowing that he would fall asleep (and he did). But, you have to do what is best for you and your family.

I think kids are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. I have found with hopping on and off rides, and letting them choose where we are going etc., along with a break at the pool mid-day, the "I'm TIRED!" chorus isn't often sung!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

When we have gone in the past, we do not come back for mid day breaks. We go for hours! After spending spending close to $3k on a trip I do not want it ruined with whining, arguing.

WHile my kids get along a lot fo the time I think like regular siblings they argue, get jealous and bicker. Not all whine, but kids have different tempermants and honestly my 9YO whines more than my 6YO. In an ideal world, I would love to say "no whining" but it just would not work! I think a lot of parents woud love to say no whining and have it stop.

In all honestly, my 9YO daughter has no physical limitations to prevent her from walking. Neither does my son, but knowing my own kids - he is much less coordinated, less athletic and will just be less able to do all of the walking. He overheats more easily too. He is off the charts for his height and weight which probably plays a role in his lack of coordination. He JUST turned 6 two weeks ago and is in the body of an 8YO. At some point his coordination will catch up with his size

I am not familiar with jogging strollers that is why I asked if any accomodate bigger kids. I know the double strollers we have had in the past would not work for them. They are far too big and too hevay to push. And I wondered about the weight and manueverabilty of the strollers.... We will have our car, but still do not want a bear of a stroller.

I do not think I am too far off here as I have seen bigger kids in the disney strollers numerour times! A day in disney is not like any ordinary day in the park! Our neighbor just went and took and umbrella stroller for her almost 9 YO and rented a single for her 5 1/2YO. Her younger son happens to be bigger. But my kids are both bigger than hers so I need a different option if I do not want to spend $33 a day on a double rental and still want/need a stroller. In the end their may be no practical option otherthan the disney rental.

Also, I will look into the local area stroller rental places - thx

Thanks for your opinions.
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, sounds like our kids are similar in age spread and we visited at the same ages. I am hoping this may prove to be the case for us too! They may do better than I think. Mine aren't the toughest kids around either.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    When the kids were 5 and 2.5, we rented a double stroller.

When the kids were 6.5 and 4, we rented a double stroller.

When the kids were 9 and 6.5, we went without a stroller and it wasn't missed.

During that most recent trip (last year), we may have taken a few extra but brief rest breaks from walking, but we had no trouble. And my kids aren't the toughest kids around. We live 5 blocks from the beach and they sometimes complain about that walk!
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids were 7 and 9 on our first trip and we did not have a stroller (my kids would not have sat in a stroller at that age anyway) and my kids did great doing all their walking and boy did we walk that first trip. I was actually surprised at how good they did but not all kids may do so well.
    Lori

Tinkerbell Fan "Here's Pixie Dust to You"

October 2005, Animal Kingdom and CBR
    Sept. 2006, POR
    Sept. 2007, AS Music
    May 2008, AS Movies
    April 2009, AS Music
    Sept. 2010 POFQ
    Sept. 2012 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 2, 5, and 13. The 13 year old has not had a stroller at WDW since she was 6...I will have my Maclaren stroller for my 2 year old and a generic brand umbrella stroller for my 5 year old to ise when needed. I do not feel bad about it at all....you should not either.
    Last edited by Melanie; 08-30-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last two trips we used the sit/stand style stroller for our kids. This year they were 3 & 7. However when we go in January 2011 they will be 4 & 8. This time it will be a single stroller and the boy will just have to deal with it. Like you said, he can be whiny, especially when he gets tired, but we'll just have to take more breaks or take in more shows.

If you want to save money look into using one of the offsite rental companies. We used Orlando Stroller Rentals and the entire week was $80 as opposed to $33 per day with the Disney strollers. Plus it was at our resort when we checked in, and we left it with bell services when we checked out. Simple, and very very useful.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Every jogging stroller I've seen has a combined weight limit of 100 pounds. The Disney ones might be your only option.

My advice: make the kids walk and just slow down!

Our five year old walked all week at Disney a couple months ago. He slept like a LOG too, which never happens at home. If you spend all day pushing around your kids, you will be exhausted at the end of the day, and they won't be. Just something to consider.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We walked at home every evening after dinner. We wanted to get our kids 11, 10, 5, and 2 used to walking. I found that it helped, but by mid week, I was renting a double stroller instead of using the single we'd brought from home. My 5 year old son was exhausted. He sounds a lot like yours, so I know what you're dealing with. The double was expensive, but it was sooooo worth it. Not only are they easy to push, but because they are so low to the ground, the kids can hop in and out of them with no assistance.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

when we go this October, my kids will be 5 and 3. We will use 2 separate "deluxe" umbrella strollers (deluxe = basket underneath w/canopy). In the event that the 5 year old wants to walk on her own, we can but, the 3 year old will definitely need the stroller.

You know your kids and what what they need the best. However, with that said, I would say a 9 year old is too old for a stroller.

Like a previous poster has said, we too are in constant "conditioning" for Disney trips. We go for walks in the evenings and have them walk almost everywhere. We have started our conditioning full force and extend our walks about a block every few days.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    BTW - I have seen countless adults riding all scrunched up in WDW strollers over the years - honestly. Don't be embarassed.
    Didn't you take any pictures that you could post? That's a picture that I'd like to see.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

DD will be 6 1/2 for our trip in September and I cannot imagine going without the stroller!! I dread when she will not want to ride at Disney. Where will I hang all my junk when I no longer have the stroller??? DD has not been stepped on or had her foot run over(I can't say the same), not gotten lost on a walk through the park, has not gotten overheated, is not whining about how tired she is (she will just take a quick nap in the stroller when she gets tired which she doesn't do at home)and is not acting cranky by 6pm. Most of the time we just take the stroller to what ever area we are planning on being in and we park it then pick it up when we are done with that land/area. We never use a stroller at home but in Disney it is a must have for us. I would try getting away with just one stroller and making them take truns. But, you know your kids if it is going to ruin your trip or theirs go find a double that will work or take 2. I say pick and choose your battles wisely and if pushing a couple of kids around in a stroller makes your trip more enjoyable GO FOR IT!!!!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I took my kids for the first time when they were 5 1/2 and 7 and did not use a stroller. I wouldn't have used one if somebody paid me too. I'd think everybody would've been looking at me thinking I was crazy which to be honest when I see older kids in stroller I'm one of those people wondering why the heck that kid is in the stroller myself. Neither of my kids ever complained about walking too much or anything. I feel that your kids are too old to be in a stroller but that's just me.

Not trying to sound rude or nasty so please don't take it that way.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We last went when my boys were 5 and 6 years old. Because we were there for 8 days we didn't rent a stroller. We took our time. We went at their pace. It was fine. BUT - If we were on a whirlwind trip (2-3 days or just one - oh, the horror!) and were planning on being at the parks the minute it opened and stay 'till closing? I would absolutely consider a stroller. I wouldn't judge anyone pushing a "big kid" in a stroller. I have no idea what their special needs might be and how long they had at WDW. Some people can only afford a few days at Disney and want to see as much as they can in order to please everyone in their party. A stroller in that situation can be a lifesaver!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip to WDW was way back in 1976 when it was just the MK. It was in late June and hot then too. I was 6, almost 7. My sister had just turned 10. We didn't have a stroller for our trip.

Your son probably won't need a stroller for the MK, AK or DHS. Yes, AK is 500 acres, but probably half of that is taken up by Kilamanjaro Safaris. However, you may need it for EPCOT. Just play it by ear and see how he does each day. Make them both walk at first and see how they do.

If you need a stroller, just get a single. If your daughter gets jealous, you can have them take turns, but your son would still need the lion's share of time in it. They can take an equal number of turns, but she can spend 15 minutes in it while he spends 30. She might not notice the difference if she doesn't wear a watch.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: