Quantcast Is free parking at the parks going away for Value Resort guests???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is free parking at the parks going away for Value Resort guests???

I saw on post #6 in this thread that Disney might me eliminating the free parking perk for Value Resort guests, as well as SOG and Dolphin/Swan guests.

Does anyone out there have confirmation that this is true and not just a one-day fluke?

If Disney does this, I would expect a large segment of people, who don't like Disney transportation, and who only stayed at Disney for the free parking, to jump ship and head off-site.

I know I would....
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That was interesting wasn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Not sure what the contracts look like between SOG/Swan/Dolphin and Disney. Disney certainly could do with with their values.

Doesn't impact me, I don't mind Disney transportation at all. Would it push people away? Probably not... People would just use the busses or whatever was available to them. I don't think the actual numbers in that "large segment" really amounts to that many people.

The cost of off-site plus parking is probably mostly cheaper than on-site and bussing. Now, if they started charging people to park at the resorts, maybe... That would be a phase 2 in this plan however.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not! If Disney just keeps taking away perks, but not reducing prices I think they are going to see people start going off property or skip Disney all together. When we are trying to do Disney "on the cheap" we stay at Pop. The reason we go there versus off property is because of the free parking (with little kids we don't make much use of EMH). Without that, I would be VERY tempted to get a much cheaper hotel off property.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be bad for me at least. Its much easier for me to bring my van and use the hadicaped spots then using the bus system.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I just went to the disneyworld website ans if you go to faq`s and click on resort benefits it says free parking for all disney resort guests.

until they change that I would just print that page and if they charged you they would surely refund it.

swan and dolphin being on property but not disney owned could be iffy but that would be dirty if disney did that in my opinion.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to worry about it much unless it becomes a reality. I'm not sure I understand why they would do it, but it certainly could affect the way we do the parks. It seems to me that people who prefer to drive to the parks help ease the burden of the buses, which can get pretty crowded certain times of the day. Take away the free parking and they might need to add buses. And I also agree with the previous poster - it's also very possible people will have one less reason to stay on WDW property.

Post Thanks / Like

I called two diffrent times and the CM's both said its still free for Disney Owned resorts to park fro free at the parks.
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a copy of that memo.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

A fee to park at the parks wouldn't affect me because I prefer to take Disney transportation.
    But if they charged a daily parking fee at the resorts themselves (as most other hotels do) then I would seriously consider an alternate vacation destination altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

This would be going against one of the basic principles of staying in a Disney-owned hotel. Other than the luxury of the room you choose to pay for, all Disney hotel guest are created equal. In my mind it would show contempt for customes who aren't "spending enough".

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

We park at other resorts (Boardwalk, Saratoga and Wilderness Lodge), and we drive to Golf, Minigolf, and (sometimes Downtown Disney), but we never drive to the actual parks: the Disney Transport is so much more convenient. So we wouldn't miss this at all.
    Dec '88 - off site
    Dec '91 - off site
    Mar '93 - off site
    Dec '94 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '96 - All Star Sports
    Mar '98 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '01 - Dixie Landings
    May '04 - PORS
    May '06 - PORS
    Nov '08 - PORS
    Nov '10 - PORS
    Nov '12 - PORS
    Nov '14 - PORS
    Nov '16 - PORS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    This would be going against one of the basic principles of staying in a Disney-owned hotel. Other than the luxury of the room you choose to pay for, all Disney hotel guest are created equal. In my mind it would show contempt for customes who aren't "spending enough".

I agree completely. I never stay at value resorts but I would HATE to see Disney start doling out park perks based on a guest's resort level.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    I agree completely. I never stay at value resorts but I would HATE to see Disney start doling out park perks based on a guest's resort level.
    They're already doing this with the free dining promo.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be a bad idea. As such, do I think today's Disney would actually consider it? Yeah, I do. Look at Golden Oak. They will consider anything that they think will put more money into their bank account.

It's all well and good to play the "Disney is a business after all" card, but even Walt himself never claimed his primary driver was making money. Him and Roy mortgaged everything for new ventures all of the time, and sometimes had to beg for loans to meet payroll. Despite all of that, they were never looking for blatant cash grabs like today's Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

If the bus transportation at the value resorts wasn't so terrible (not enough buses running, having to wait too long for buses) there wouldn't be so many people driving from the values to the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    If the bus transportation at the value resorts wasn't so terrible (not enough buses running, having to wait too long for buses) there wouldn't be so many people driving from the values to the parks.
    That is a critical part of this. If Disney is unhappy with the number of people driving from the Values, they need to realize it is a symptom of another problem. Of course, it all depends on whether they actually want it fixed or not. They may actually prefer for the "Value" experience to be sub-par. As if somebody might actually think, "I had such a terrible experience at Walt Disney World last time, why don't I pay more next time?"

Post Thanks / Like

From the Shades of Green website:
    Please note: Shades of Green provides complimentary transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks for registered guests. Parking at the theme parks is $14 per day.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of Green is not a Disney owned hotel as told to me by the Res CM's on the phone.
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of Green provides its OWN buses to the TTC, and some other parks. From the TTC, you can catch a bus anywhere on WDW property (park wise...not hotels).

Swan and Dolphin, and SOG already do not participate in DME, and only Swan/Dolphin still get Disney transport, which Disney could take away whenever they feel like. However, it IS worth noting that S/D and SOG ALREADY charge their guests with cars a daily parking fee at the resort. Since they are not "Disney", they can make their own rules, and Disney, in turn, can change the "rules" when it comes to their allowances as well.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before Disney starts charging everyone to park at the theme parks, regardless of hotel guest status. They CAN do this, because they STILL provide Disney operated bus/monorail/boat transport to all the parks, from all the resorts. So, really, no one NEEDS to drive to the parks. If you choose to, then you choose to be bound by Disney's terms in doing so. Frankly, I think it's been mighty generous of them to allow free parking all this time.

And, quite honestly, I would expect a lower level of "perks" (amenities) at the Value level. There ALREADY IS A LOWERED LEVEL OF AMENITIES AT THE VALUE LEVEL. By pretending that Disney is not already creating, in essence, a "class system" within the resort matrix is just foolish. More money begets more perks. As it should be, in a capitalist society such as this one.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

If only everything was connected by monorail and peoplemovers like Walt intended.

Just to make sure I follow along properly...

Disney should charge guests to park simply because they can? Also, they should decrease the quality of the offering at Value resorts because it is starting from a lower level of service already?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: