Quantcast Fantasyland too "girlie," Frontierland Could Be the Balancer

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasyland too "girlie," Frontierland Could Be the Balancer

Word around the Disney Company is many are not thrilled that the Fantasyland expansion leans heavily on the girlie side. The location of Dumbo and the addition of Pixie Hollow flip flop daily. However, FRONTIERLAND could be the land that provides the balance. Word is executives are seriously considering an "expansion" of sorts in Frontierland. Just what could be coming? Who knows. But talk has centered on Tom Sawyer Island and the patch of land by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Club D23 has posted about this. Check it out.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't axe the Fantasyland expansion because it is "too girlie." That would be really absurd.

Expanding Frontierland? Western River Expedition here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I hope they don't axe the Fantasyland expansion because it is "too girlie." That would be really absurd.
    I believe it's a little late for Disney to be considering cancelling the Fantasyland expansion.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

An expansion to Frontierland would be wonderful! But what about Liberty Square? I think that area needs something...the Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride ever, but that's the only thing there that I do. At least there's always tons to do in Fantasyland and Frontierland.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Pixie Hollow is the only thing in the Fantasyland refurbishment that may be getting the axe... As GM said, higher ups feel it is too "girlie..." Whatever this means to FLE, we'll have to wait and see... Um, what is the western themed river ride in Hong Kong Disneyland??? I think I read somewhere about that being a possibility... But it is all conjecture right now... +
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been hearing that Mickey's Toontown Fair might be spared the wrecking ball. Plans are calling to add Dumbo and change it to a circus theme with the Circus coming to Toontown. Not sure how accurate this is but there has been some rumors floating about this.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I have been hearing that Mickey's Toontown Fair might be spared the wrecking ball. Plans are calling to add Dumbo and change it to a circus theme with the Circus coming to Toontown. Not sure how accurate this is but there has been some rumors floating about this.
    I hope not... Demolish it!!!! Plus, they are still working on the M&G areas on Main Street... Toontown Fair is going... The last thing to go, but gone nonetheless....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but when the original poster refers to Club 23 are they speaking about Disney23? I was interested in reading the article. Have to admit I'm a little behind on things.

Post Thanks / Like

Pixie Hollow IS girlie. They have one in Disneyland.

Disneyland also has a "Princess Fantasy Faire", which is a combo Princess Meet and greet, improvisational BBB, and princess merchandise EXPLOSION.

To balance this, Disneyland's Tom Sawyer island has been, for some time, "Pirate's Lair". I assume any talk about updating WDW's Tom Sawyer Island would result in its renovation to something similar. Also, they have Tarzan's Treehouse, Indiana Jones Adventure, the Nemo Subs, Star Tours, etc.

I am all for them leaving Mickey's Toontown Fair as is, and adding the Dumbo "circus" over there. I agree that the Fantasyland refurb is overly "girly" and not well balanced by other aspects of Magic Kingdom.

They would do well to shadow Disneyland somewhat, which is extremely well balanced as far as "girly" and "boy friendly" attractions are concerned.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutoboy View Post
    I'm sorry but when the original poster refers to Club 23 are they speaking about Disney23? I was interested in reading the article. Have to admit I'm a little behind on things.
    Google it.... Like Intercot, it is an unofficial fan site... However, they aren't the only site where members posted that rumor... others have well.. Hmm, wonder if there really is anything to it???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind if Fantasyland tilts more toward the "girlie" side with this stuff. The Dumbo stuff is probably more boyish, although it would appeal to both.

When it comes to big problems at WDW, I'm more concerned about how Tomorrowland at MK and Future World at Epcot have lost their way.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind if Fantasyland tilts more toward the "girlie" side with this stuff. The Dumbo stuff is probably more boyish, although it would appeal to both.

When it comes to big problems at WDW, I'm more concerned about how Tomorrowland at MK and Future World at Epcot have lost their way.
    I agree with you about Tomorrowland and Future World... We need Tomorrowland fixed... Imagination, Wonders of Life, even to some degree Universe of Energy need to be fixed.... I will also venture to say DHS and AK need more before Frontierland gets any expansion...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I will also venture to say DHS and AK need more before Frontierland gets any expansion...
    Unless they're going to do something huge in Frontierland, like reviving one of the old Thunder Mesa / Western River Expedition type concepts, I am 100% in agreement... On second thought, I'm not even sure I want them pouring that kind of money into Frontierland for that...but I could be sold for something grand like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they're going to do something huge in Frontierland, like reviving one of the old Thunder Mesa / Western River Expedition type concepts, I am 100% in agreement... On second thought, I'm not even sure I want them pouring that kind of money into Frontierland for that...but I could be sold for something grand like that.
    Western River is dead... Ain't happening I am afraid... I wish I were wrong but I fear I am not... Frontierland really only has Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain... The land does lack something... Sure, Tom Sawyer Island is there, but, the land just doesn't scream out to me, and I am sure plenty of other guests... I ride SM and BTMR and leave... I'm just trying to figure out what they could possibly bring to Frontierland...

Why do I have a feeling they are thinking of a Woody's Round-up/Toy Story mini land like in Hong Kong Disneyland????

Post Thanks / Like

Why do I have a feeling they are thinking of a Woody's Round-up/Toy Story mini land like in Hong Kong Disneyland????
    Because everybody loves another Pixar attraction!

I take it back. I don't want them doing anything with Frontierland if it isn't going to be big. The already mentioned TLC that Tomorrowland & Future World needs is going to top my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Tek, the good thing is, even though this has been looked at over the course of the last few years, nothing is greenlit so maybe this is all typical internet rumor/drive up our hits ploy from newly formed fan sites/summer is here, school is out and I am bored wishful thinking... LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

Tek, the good thing is, even though this has been looked at over the course of the last few years, nothing is greenlit so maybe this is all typical internet rumor/drive up our hits ploy from newly formed fan sites/summer is here, school is out and I am bored wishful thinking... LOL...
    Lately I've been thinking a lot about how I would like to re-imagine/FIX things like Tomorrowland and Future World, so this didn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Frontierland is probably the only land/section in the entire resort that really doesn't need an expansion. Re-do Tomorrowland after they messed it up again even after the expansion in the 90's, or even Adventureland and change the area around the carpets and maybe add one more ride there.

From what I have seen, they've been looking at expanding Frontierland for years and years but nothing has ever got greenlit.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Big article about this over at Jim Hill today, so it must have some legs at least.

I don't know why they don't just bring Carsland over to WDW and add the princesses, as well.

Then you'd have great balance between "boys stuff" and "girls stuff."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Big article about this over at Jim Hill today, so it must have some legs at least.

I don't know why they don't just bring Carsland over to WDW and add the princesses, as well.

Then you'd have great balance between "boys stuff" and "girls stuff."
    Seriously. But, I don't think MK has the room for Carsland. UNLESS, they were were to use all of Toontown plus the Indy Speedway...

Just for comparison, the space being used for Carsland at DCA is the size of the current Tomorrowland at MK. It's a large area.

They could completely demolish Lights, Motors, Action AND the "Backlot Tour" and build Carsland there, but somehow I doubt they'd consider that...

My guess is that, if they are really intent on leveling the playing field at MK, they will do the following:

-Convert Tom Sawyer Island to "Pirate's Lair" (an easy thing to do with an existing attraction, although personally, I hate the Pirate thing as much as I hate the Princess thing)

-Add some sort of interactive/scavenger hunt type attraction at MK for "techie boys", a la Kim Possible Mission. Perhaps with an Indiana Jones type theme?

-Somehow, work the Toy Story "woody's roundup" theme into Frontierland.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: