Quantcast Retiring At Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retiring At Disney

I have decided that my retirement plans definitely include moving to Florida and working at Disney. My DW is hip to the moving to Disney part; however, she says when she retires that’s it…no more working. I can’t imagine a better "job" than spending my days in a Disney park helping each guest have the best Disney experience possible.

I’m still looking at about 15 years of the real world before making this move, but I’ve decided to officially include this in my retirement planning.

I’d like to hear from others who have successfully executed this plan. How hard is it to get a job in the parks as a retiree? I’m talking something basic….in a store or restaurant. What’s the pay like…I expect minimum wage is probably the norm. What about benefits? Did it work out the way you dreamed?

I know a lot can change in 15 years, but DREAMING is a part of my Disney mindset.

WDW*Dreamer
    WDW*Dreamer
    DVC/AP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but this is my plan too! I'm about 13 years from my eligible date to retire from my job.
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

There's a whole lot of folks out there with the same idea and, yes, Disney does hire a lot of retirees. It's not hard to get a job with Disney as long as you're willing to work for minimum wage. They have tons of positions open at that level. Something higher up is much harder to come by. You can go to the Disney corporate website to see the available jobs and to apply.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This is my husbands dream as well. Shoot if Disney paid better he would be dressed as Tigger jumping up and down in the MK every day! LOL
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is my dream too!

I watch the job boards in my profession. Occasionally there is a posting but I keep my hopes up. 11 more years to retirement from my current job then moving to the south! Not sure if hubby is moving with me or not but it is the dream.
    Tina

DM DH DD26 DD21 DGS 4

TRIPS:
    multiple as a child
    just daddy and me Oct 2005
    WITH MY Princesses:
    May 2000 POR
    May 2002 POR
    Oct 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 BC (just Ashley and Me)
    July 2010 POP girls only and Lexi's sweet 16
    Dec 2015 dd and dgs

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE to do what you're planning to do, but my family won't be moving to Florida, so I'm dreaming of doing something for Disney from home or here, but I don't know where to start on that. Follow your dream!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Dreamer, I am right there with you.

I am a 37 year old childhood disability worker with the government. Right now I have 20 years of service (yup, I was 17 when I started) and get to retire from Federal employment at 25 years of service and any age.

My plan is from age 42 to 62 work for Disney and set myself up for a private sector and government pension. For my entire adult life my job has revolved around babies that are born impaired, children who have been hurt, just horrible stuff. To end out my working life in the Happiest Place on Earth seems to balance the karma scales for me. DW is interested in moving South, though she too says retirement is just that, being retired. She will support my new vocation and happily sit on a bench near my new posting to support me (and net free Mickey bars).

Best of luck, see you there!
    7/88 Off World
    10/04 Pop Century
    10/05 Pop Century and MNSSHP
    12/07 Pop Century and MVMCP
    09/09 Pop Century and Grand Gathering
    12/10 Pop Century
    09/11 Pop Century
    1/14 Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there at Christmas we met several people who were retirees working at Disney. One was a former police officer who comes and works the Christmas season at the Candlelight Processional as a security guard. They bring their trailer and stay in it. He said he and the wife LOVE it. No, the pay is crummy but if you are retired, it should be just for fun, right???
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I are thinking of doing the same thing. I figured DH would roll on the ground laughing when I mentioned I would love to move down there and work at WDW when we retired and he said, yeah he could handle that. I figured it would be hard to get hired there though. Maybe not?
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

That has been mine and DHs plan from the time we started going to WDW waaaaay back in 1980! We always said when we had kids and they graduated and went off to college, we'd make the move and work for the Mouse! Well, DD graduates in 2011! I realize that the pay may not be that good, but sometimes, it's not always about the $$$. So, we'll see if our long term plans will become a reality! Would also love to hear from those who have made the move and your thoughts...good or bad!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I always talk with the older security officers at WDW, and most are retired police officers (seems like most are from Chicago for some reason). I would love to retire to Florida and work security later in life. My DW and I just need a small house near the ocean with one palm tree and very little grass to mow. Maybe two bedrooms so the grandkids can come visit one at a time! Better make that two palm trees so I can hang a hammock in the yard......well probably doesn't matter I will spend all my free time at WDW anyway!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

These are my plans, too. I would love to "retire" to the Orlando area and work at Walt Disney World.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great if Disney was full of CMs that wanted to be there because of how much they love it.

I think working there because you have to makes the pixie dust wear off rather quickly (or so I've been told).
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: