Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring

My neighbor just got back from a first-time trip to Walt Disney World and I was surprised to hear her family's review of The Magic Kingdom.

She and her husband took their 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter for five days and the kids liked all of the parks except for the Magic Kingdom.

The kids described it as boring.

When I asked the boy what was boring about it - he specifically stated that the Jungle Cruise was "lame" and that Space Mountain was like a kiddie roller coaster. ( He was expecting a big drop at some point).

The girl said that a lot of the time, you just rode through things and looked at mannequins ( She was referring to Pirates of the Carribean - but also mentioned The Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pooh and It's a Small World as additional examples.) And she has a point - the Magic Kingdom has a lot of attractions where you simply sit and look at mannequins.

Everyone of course has hastheir own tastes, but from our conversation it made me wonder if today's youth could be unimpressed with the attractions that are imagination-based and were considered cutting-edge decades ago.

Not surprisingly, they loved all of the thrill rides: Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster plus other star attractions such as Toy Story Mania, Soarin, Test Track, Splash Mountain and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger spin.

In a nutshell, these two kids liked everything that was not just a sit-and-look attraction.

With our current I-phone/downloadable apps/video game based society, is the Magic Kingdom becoming a park that's really just a playground for the pre-school set and a comfortable relic for the nostalgic old-timers who fondly remember the Magic Kingdom in its heyday?

Can the Magic Kingdom really impress kids aged 10-16? Or is it boring?
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post. I will be interested in the replies. We do not have any children, but the main reason we visit so often is to be able to use our imagination. Once again great post.

Post Thanks / Like

We spend the least amount of time at MK on all our trips, we'll usually end up spending like 2 1/2 days on a two week vacation.

Definitely our least favorite, most hated park.

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly disagree.My kids and I love Magic Kingdom.My boys are 12 & 18.It's our favorite park.It's where all the magic happens.In fact my 18 yr.old loves Carousel Of Progress.We sing the song the whole time we're in there."It's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of everyday." Magic Kingdom is always our first and last park to visit on our trips.What can I say? We are disney freaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I know my 12 year old sister loves MK and so do my other siblings. It's not boring for me. Maybe the kids looked up to someone who thought WDW was a joke? Either that or they could be thinking that their high and mighty. Some kids r just like that. They think their too old for that. Since their 10-12 year olds of course!

It's time to remember the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I love MK I do agree that some kids who play video games a lot are going to be more geared towards the other parks.
    Jun '00 Jul '03 - All-Star Music
    Aug '05 - POP
    May '07 - All-Star Sports
    Aug '08 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Mar '09 - POP
    Sept '10 - POP (Our DD 1st Trip!!)
    Oct ' 11-Nov '11 - POP
    Nov '13 -Off Property Bonnet Creek
    Jun '14 -POP (Our DS 1st Trip!!)
    Jun '15 -POP
    Aug '15 -Disneyland (1st Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

We have two kids, ages 12 and 15 now. They have been to Disney 9 times in as many years. The trend has been to spend less and less time at MK, both because of the type of attractions and the crowds. We get there early, ride all the faves (Splash, Pirates, Space, Haunted Mansion) and dash!
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutosnana View Post
    Maybe the kids looked up to someone who thought WDW was a joke?
    That's similar to what I was thinking. I can see the parents repeating over and over, "This place is boring... let's go ride some real rides."
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Magic Kingdom and Epcot are our faves!

14 yr old and 5 yr old - they both love MK! Sure, there are rides that the 14 yr old doesn't like as much as our 5 yr old, but she just loves the atmosphere at Disney....Does she LOVE Snow White's Adventure, no, but its a classic ride.

We are in love with Disney!
    1988-2012
    Fort Wilderness
    Old Key West
    Boardwalk Inn
    Polynesian
    Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is all about the magic and using your imagination! Imagination is a wonderful thing!
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

This is an extremely interesting post!

I think it takes a certain kind of people to enjoy Disney. If you are in it for the cheap thrill, then Magic Kingdom isn't the place for you. Neither is EPCOT really.

I also think that 10-12 is a difficult age. Kids that age disagree just to disagree. Older teens, 20 year olds, etc. enjoy feeling like a kid.

Tell them to go to Universal next time :-D. Just kidding, Universal fans... maybe.
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the two kids in question are quite possibly unimaginative and dull, sorry to say, and not that the MK is boring. My kids were 8 and 10 on their first trip and they are 17 and 19 now, and still do not find the MK boring. It's their favorite park, though they also love the thrill rides and the other parks. I know lots of kids who love the "sit and look" attractions. I would not use those particular young specimens as gauges into the minds of kids everywhere or assume that they speak for their generation.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring

I can understand that taking kids for the 1st time at that age would result in that kind of response. I think, if you start taking the kids when they are younger, that the rides are not just entertainment but they become special because of the memories that go along with them. If you are looking for "Great America" type of rides, Disney is not the best place to go. You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the say way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.
    Ali and Tyler's Dad
    Pop Century 6/14
    Pop Century 5/12
    Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Rooms) 1/1/11 Free DDP
    Pop Century 10/09 Free DDP
    Pop Century 9/08 Free DDP
    All-Star Sports 9/06 Free DDP
    Pop Century 9/05
    All-Star Movies 1/02
    Coronado Springs 8/99
    Off-Site 8/98

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    We spend the least amount of time at MK on all our trips, we'll usually end up spending like 2 1/2 days on a two week vacation.

Definitely our least favorite, most hated park.
    Rereading this it may be confusing. It's two half days, NOT two and a half days. A total of maybe one day over a two week period.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, it's not boring. The kids may be a bit jaded and may be trying to be cool, but the fact that they missed the point is their own issue, not the Magic Kingdom's. My daughter is now 20 and her favorite park has always been MK by far.

Thrill junkies may not get it, and that's ok. There are plenty of other places they can go to get their fix. (I tend to think that always going for the bigger thrill is a dead end in the long run, however. Everything gets surpassed. everything becomes boring eventually if there is no imagination involved.)

But if you want a place that stirs the imagination and warms the soul, it has to be the Magic Kingdom.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't sad that alot of today's youth don't want to use their imaginations and think they have to be entertained each and every moment?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 26 and I love the Magic Kingdom, its just about being in another world, where ghosts are around and animals talk. For the record I play video games too! Some people just don't get it I suppose, and as other posters said, are just boring.

Post Thanks / Like

My boys absolutely love the MK, and they are 14 and 17! Then again, they grew up going there, so maybe that could have something to do with it. Perhaps first time kids might not appreciate it as much-just looking for thrills. We have so many wonderful memories from that park! As a matter of fact, we just went to Cedar Point for my boys, so they could have their thrills on coasters. My 17 yr old just said this morning, it was ok, but the magic was just missing, like you get at Disney. He would rather just go to Disney. Yep, my boys "get it".
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Funny to see this post. Years ago we knew this family that took their 2 boys (5 & 8) to WDW for the first time.

I was shocked when I asked how the boys like it. The mom said the boys looked forward more to stopping at South of the Border than WDW (this was way before video games). They wanted to hang out at the Holiday Inn & swim in the pool all day! They took the boys back a few years later (boys 9 & 12)......same thing.

They never did go back. Go fig!

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I took my DD at ages 9, 10 and 11 to WDW. When she was 12 years old I announced "Guess where we are going for spring break?" Her reply hurt me deeply, "Not Disney again!?" Well, no in fact we were going to go to the Grand Canyon and go white water rafting and camping in the canyon. But still, I was hurt that she had that attitude towards our Disney trips.

Move forward now to age 15. DD and I had been trying to get back to WDW for almost a year. I had left my job and was going back to school full time, so we had lost the ability to take the expensive vacations we used to take. Our last vacation was when she was 13 (I had pre-paid the year before I left for school) a package deal for a trip to Florida and Sea World, which we had not yet done. But we started watching our last trip to WDW from our 6 days of video. My DD announced "Boy, I was little bit of a spoiled brat." Well, yes, perhaps a little and it also was just that age! She announced how much she wanted to visit WDW again and how great-full she would be to get to go again.

Well, we finally got to go again this spring; she was 15 years old for this trip. We had SUCH a GREAT time! She posed for photos, she rode all the rides I wanted and changes plans with me a couple of times when I just got tired. She helped carry the bag when it seemed hot and heavy and I tried some new rides with her that she wanted to try. We worked together and both had a great time. We got back home and both decided we wanted to go back.

MK is our favorite park (followed by Epcot as second place). We try to start and end our trip there. She loves POTC, Philharmagic, she wants to try Dumbo on our next trip. We love the train, Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White, of course Splash Mt, Space Mt, the people mover, Buzz lightyear...all the fav's.

Perhaps it is an age thing. I think my DD will always love WDW. I don't see her outgrowing it! I am glad she saw how she behaved as a child and even that she has had to go without for a while cause I think it has made her more greatful and less "spoiled". I never hear "this is boring" coming from her lips.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Share This Thread On Social Media: