Quantcast Driving from SE PA

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving from SE PA

Hey all.

So I've been reading some posts about taking an alternate route from SE PA to Disney instead of I-95. It involves taking I-81 South to, I think I-77 and then a Route 26 somewhere.... anyway...

I'm just wondering from anyone who has taken both (or either) routes what the non-95 route is like. Checking out Mapquest it looks like the 81 route would be about an hour longer for us. Now when we are going down we're leaving at like 3 in the morning but coming back traffic in Va/DC could be an issue. Just wondering if it might be worth going out of the way to take the other route, if there are places to stop, is it worth taking, etc.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in central PA and have driven both routes many times. For me it is about the same distance both ways.
    I prefer the 81 route. Take 81 to exit 81 in southern Virginia. Then take 77 to columbia sc. Then take 26 to 95 into Florida.
    It seems like less turns and traffic is managable. I just drove that direction 2 weeks ago to Atlanta , and had hardly any traffic. It seems endless through Virginia though, and no south of the border signs.
    As for stopping, I usually drive straight through, or nap at rest stops.

Post Thanks / Like

81/77 is a much more scenic ride. There is a section of 77 (NC I think) that provides a stunning view.

definately go 81/77 if you will be in DC anytime around rush hour(s).
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Central PA as well, and recommend the 81/77/26 route over 95. As others have said, it is very scenic, especially through Virginia. There's not too much along the way, though. Sure, there are places to stop, but nowhere near the amount of stuff you'll find along 95.

For us, the 81/77/26 route adds about 30 miles to our trip. However, I think it clocks in at less time due to less traffic. The only traffic we've ever hit taking that route is around the Charlotte area, and that doesn't even come close to the mess you'll run into around DC and Richmond on 95.

On the other hand, I have a sister that claims the 81/77/26 route is too boring. She prefers taking 95. To each their own. I'd rather be bored than angry.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: