Quantcast Best planning book

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best planning book

Ok, so my sister-in-law is finally taking here first trip with kids (5 and 7) to WDW! I think I am overwhelming herewith info every time we talk, so I want to buy and send her an easy to use, non-overwhelming planning guide. What is the best one out there right now?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we plan a trip we always use the Birnbaum's Guide because it has everything from restaurant reviews, to hotel accommodations...it also has a space in the back where you can write your conformation numbers for your flights,hotel, and town car it comes with coupons
    șoș MickeyLuver șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Birnbaum's or Passporter are the best, but, honestly you can learn as much (or more) just by getting her on Intercot for free.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great Idea

I also recommend Birnbaun's. They have several books geared toward different types of vacationiers. You are so smart to give her a book. It will allow her take bites of information that she can shallow. We, Disney Addicts, often overwhelm the general public with our excitement and million of helpful details. Send her the book, give her time to read it (or most of it) then give her a call and ask her questions about the book. She will then have enough information to be excited with you.
    May 1985-School Trip
    Dec 1989-Family Trip
    Oct 1996-5th Anniverary Trip-POR
    Jan 2001-Westgate Lakes (WL)
    Jan 2002-WL
    Jan 2003-WL
    Jan 2004-Wydham Palms
    Dec 2004-Cypress Pointe (CP)
    Jan 2006-CP
    2007-The Year of the Annnual Pass
    Jan 2007-CP
    June 2007-CP
    Nov 2007-CP
    Dec 2009-CP
    June 2010-CP

Post Thanks / Like

I concur, Birnbaum's is the best, we simply refer to it as the Disney Bible and it is has a nice sleek shape to take it with you. My kids just love looking at the pictures and reading the "Hot Tips"
    "We get there when we get there!"
    Disneyland Too many times to count
    Saratoga Springs OCT '00, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2014, Dec. 2015
    A S Sports DEC '03
    POP May '06
    AKL Jan '08 Offsite Sheraton Vistana Jan '08
    Port Orleans Mar 2015, May 2015
    Coronado Springs Sept 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We bought my Mom the Passporter book for her first trip, and she loved it.

As for DH and me, we love the Unofficial Guide, love the sense of humour, but it might be a bit much for a first trip.

But, I've learned way more, real, practical tips and ideas here on Intercot than from any book
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have to vote for Passporters. Even though I have been there many times, each year that we go I get a new one to put in the deluxe binder. Love having all the info that I need in one place, easy to find. The pages in the back are great for confirmation numbers and any other little tidbits you want to remember.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the Passporter would be a good idea for the first time. They offer a lot of great information, especially things to think about during planning, budgeting, breaking down the room plans, resort diagrams, transportation, park tickets, you name it.

I do love the Birnbaum's Guide, I have bought one every year, but they do not really spell out the pros and cons of each resort, provide restauarant/resort reviews, and detail the extra costs associated with a trip to WDW.
    Last edited by Loweschevy; 06-02-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: name
    Polynesian & BLT October 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Since she's going with kids, I thought I'd mention one we have used with our kids - Guide to the Magic for Kids.

It has a lot of fun information for kids, maps, stickers to rate attractions, journal pages, plus scavenger hunts and games, etc. My kids loved looking at it and planning our trip, and then they had a ball using it while we were there.

If you Google it, you'll find the website, where you can see some sample pages.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like "The Complete Walt Disney World".

the Magical Kingdom of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Passporter...while I agree you can find most everything on the boards, I haven't found a more comprehensive resource on WDW anywhere.
    Nicole Courson

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Passporter...the worksheets are really nice, and I LOVE the little pockets to store receipts in. I even put my tip money for each day in the pockets so I don't forget. Even though I've been many times, I can't imagine doing a trip without a Passporter now!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Passporter as well. I agree - The daily pockets are great for keeping receipts. I continue to look at information on receipts from last year while planning this year's trip and It's very helpful to have them sorted by day.

We also enjoy filling in the daily recap in the evening. "The best thing today was..." "The funniest thing today was..." It's a great way to remember special moments.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE our Passporter
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I never read Passporter so I can't rate it.
    I have read the Birnbaum books,several different editions. They are in no way critical about WDW, and read more like a Disney publication.
    I do highly recommend the Un-official Guide. Sure its a load of reading but they tell it a lot straighter, both the good and the bad.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I've really liked both the Passporter and Kim Wright Wiley's Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids. The Passporter books are ideal for the planning obsessed (I love a checklist myself ) and also found KWW to not only have a great writing style, but she "gets" parents and kids. The Birnbaum books just never impressed me: they seem like a very thorough compilation of Disney pamphlets.

BTW, if you link to Amazon using this link, you'll be benefitting INTERCOT!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the "overwhelming" the Disney Newbie feeling. I did it just yesterday when I discussed the virtue of choosing the AKL during the last week of October when the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot is going on...I also introduced about 20 factors in how I created our park schedule. She looked impressed and glazed-over. I was simply hoping for informed. I scared her.

This book idea is great. I prefer the Burnbaum's guide. It has some negative space on the page and doesn't seem so "jam-packed" with information. And she can put it down at any point when it becomes too much...whereas I can't shut up when I get excited about the Mouse. She can pick it up and take notes in her own way and organize things the way that make sense in her head.

Perhaps get the the Unofficial Guide for her SECOND trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    I have read the Birnbaum books,several different editions. They are in no way critical about WDW, and read more like a Disney publication.
    Birnbaum's book is the Official Guide to WDW. So, what you will get, basically, is the WDW company line. The book will not be critical.

I would suggest Passporter or the new Unofficial Guide: Color Companion. I think those books will give you a little more insight into Disney than the Birnbaum Book will.

I am not slighting the Birnbaum book but I would rather read something that is a little removed from Disney itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Birnbaum's are indeed "cheerleader" books. It's OK for telling you what there is to do, but it in no way prepares you for what is to come....is the ride scary for kids, is there a long wait at certain times of day, what restaurants are like, etc, etc.

The Unofficial Guide does all of these things and more, but it's a bit like an encyclopedia. It has entire tour plans for each park, floor plans for each room type in each resort, etc, etc. It's huge, and it covers more than just DisneyWorld.

Our favorite used to be the Unofficial Guide, but now it's the Complete Walt Disney World book. It has basically everything you need, and is only half the size of the Unofficial Guide. My only complaint with it was that a couple of chapters had erroneous information about certain attractions. For example, it mentioned how the Akershus Princess Dining was only a character meal at Breakfast. This is simply not the case. But, IIRC, there were only two errors like this. The rest of it was dead-on.

Never even heard of the passporter. We may have to look at that.

So, in my not so humble opinion, I would recommend going down to the bookstore and looking at (in this order):

1. Complete Walt Disney World 2010
    2. The Unofficial Guide to Wal Disney World 2010
    3. Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2010
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

The Passporter is nice in the way it is presented. It is very easy to read. I think it does get a little "rah rah" about Disney but it isn't in bed with them like Birnbaum's is.

The Unofficial Guide is comprehensive and may be daunting for somebody going there for the first time.

However, it does give a reader everything and anything to know about Disney.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: