Quantcast Not all that thrilled with Wilderness Lodge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not all that thrilled with Wilderness Lodge

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip and we stayed at Wilderness Lodge. Now I know there are those that swear by this resort and love it. I will not deny that the themeing is great and the lodge itself is impressive. BUT, there were a few things I did not like.

1. THE POOLS: Or should I say the pool. There is the one large pool and a small pool near the villas. I just assumed that this large of resort would have more pool options. The main pool was always crowded which is expected but there was only one other pool to go to. Values and Moderates generally offer many pools.

2. THE BATHROOM LAYOUT: The sink was located inside the bathroom with the tub and shower. If someone was taking a shower or using the toilet someone else could not use the sink. At the moderates and values it is layed out so that more than one person may be using the sinks while someone else is in the bathroom.

3. THE BUSES: Once we boarded a bus we had to ride over to the Grand Floridian to pick up more people. Generally the bus was already full and now we jammed more people on. If I had paid the really big rates for Grand Floridian I would not be too happy.

Ok those are my gripes. I suppose maybe I am just a moderate resort type of guy. I am not insulting those that love Wilderness Lodge, I am just saying I will probably not stay there again.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

That is why Disney has so many resorts. You can't please every one. I know what you mean.
    So many people on these boards think the Poly is the best resort. Well we stayed there last year and I was not impressed. I like my room to be bright and cheery and I felt our room at the Poly was anything but. So don't feel like your the only one that has a differant opion about a resort.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a moderate girl until my last vacation when due to some unforeseen pool and hot tub closures we moved to Wilderness Lodge.

Although I loved Wilderness Lodge and enjoyed my stay.. I can see why those things would bother you.

I can see the sink being a problem with a family. Because we were put in an accessible room, I thought the sink in the bathroom may have been just those rooms. Guess not. I loved our big walk in shower.

We found the main pool and hot tub to always be insanely busy and loud, but found the villas pool to be relaxing and their hot tub often empty at night. I enjoyed the beach access and used the lounges there for quiet reading. We also used the villas sitting areas and played checkers there a few times.

I worried about sharing buses when we checked in, but was surprised to find, that the times we used them, we only shared with Fort Wilderness. We really enjoyed the boats to MK and found them very convenient.

We especially loved how quiet the room was. When you shut the door you heard nothing from the other side. We would stay there again.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the gym. Nice bonus!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you must have had a handicap accessable room as the typical room at WL has the potty and tub in a seperate room and a double vanity open to the rest of the room.
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I have been to the WL 4 times and have never stayed in a room with the sink in the bathroom area. They have always had the sink/vanity area outside.

I hope that someday you give WL another try. It is truly a wonderful resort in my opinion. However, if you don't I understand. Not all resorts are for all people.
    Jodi șoș

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATHROOM LAYOUT: The sink was located inside the bathroom with the tub and shower.
    Hmmm - we've stayed at WL on four separate occasions (fifth coming up) and the sink area is always separate from the toilet and shower area . . . did you have a King room?

We've actually never taken a bus from WL to anywhere on property (just the boat), so I can't comment on that one.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the resort as you'd hoped to.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I would not have liked the sink in the bathroom either. Our room at WL had the sink outside of the bathroom like others have said. It must be only in a few rooms and you got "lucky" and got one of those. The bus going to GF didn't bother us - in fact, we used it to our advantage for dinner at GF one night. Overall, it only added a few extra minutes to our travel time. However, I hated that the bus went to FW - that added considerably to our travel time, mostly because there always seemed to be a long line of buses and we had to sit and wait in that line. Fortunately that only happened 2 or 3 times. I'm sorry it wasn't as great of a stay as you were expecting. I feel the same way about CSR - others love it but I don't.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right it was a handicap room eventhough we did not request it. I apologize, if the regular rooms do not have the sink in the bathroom then I withdraw my complaint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredkari View Post
    You guys are right it was a handicap room eventhough we did not request it. I apologize, if the regular rooms do not have the sink in the bathroom then I withdraw my complaint
    Nothing like slandering the Wilderness Lodge to get a rise out of folks around here

I kid, I kid!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

3. THE BUSES: Once we boarded a bus we had to ride over to the Grand Floridian to pick up more people. Generally the bus was already full and now we jammed more people on. If I had paid the really big rates for Grand Floridian I would not be too happy.
    Transportation was my biggest complaint about WL. Luckily, that trip we had a car, and we ended up taking it to every park except MK after our second bus trip over to GF, and finally, to the parks. To this day, my DH still doesn't want to stay at WL again because of those bus rides. (And I agree, if I were at GF, I'd be pretty unhappy.)

I actually swam in the pool one morning when it was just me and two ducks. Heavenly!
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at WL before.

#1. Disappointed about the size of the pool. It was always crowded.

#2. The food area was crazy small for the size of the resort.

The atmosphere of the resort is very nice.
    Liked the boat ride option to MK.

Might stay there again. As mentioned before there are so many resorts to pick from. To each his own

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

You still have the right to complain - it wasn't what you were expecting and you didn't enjoy it.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that I read this thread to be prepared for crowded WL buses coming to pick my DH and I up from the GF in September.

Why wouldn't they have a separate bus for both resorts? I have been there 26 times and could swear I remember seeing separate buses (or my memory could be fogged in a pixie-dust haze )

Not cool LoL

*- 29 total visits to the World -*

September 2009 AKL Jambo House Savannah View ∞ Honeymoon ∞
    September 2012 AKL Jambo House ∞ 3 year Anniversary ∞
    September 2013 Polynesian ∞ 4 year Anniversary ∞
    November 2014 Polynesian ∞ My Birthday/5 year Anniversary Combo ∞

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on crowd level if the bus stops at the GF. Sometimes we have stopped there, but for the majority we have not.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

I only recall stopping at GF and FW once each while riding the buses at WL. Of course we were always on the first bus, I don't know if that made a difference.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. For as much money as we all spend going to WDW I would like to think no one leaves unhappy, but there are always different factors on everyone's trip. Hopefully you will give it another try sometime, maybe in the value season (the pool was empty in January ).
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

When I looked on the INTERCOT site about accommodations shows a room diagram. It depicts double sinks outside of the commode area. The next time, I would call in advance and ask too many questions. You'll be glad in the end.

http:/Here's the diagram:
    /www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/wildernesslodge/default.asp

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at WL twice and both times we shared buses with Grand Floridian and the Poly. That was the one thing I didn't like either. I think each of those resorts should have their own bus.

We always had a sink seperate from the bathroom at WL. Actually when we stayed at the Poly in Nov. we had a room with the sink, and only one sink at that, in the bathroom. I didn't like that layout either.

Also when we stayed at the Poly in Nov. they only had two pools as well. The main pool, which only seemed to me to be a bit bigger than the main pool at WL, and the smaller queit pool. Even AKL only has one pool.

So I guess all resorts have their own short comings. We love WL, but I agree with you the moderates are also great and can give you a lot of bang for your buck!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

1. THE POOLS: Or should I say the pool. There is the one large pool and a small pool near the villas. I just assumed that this large of resort would have more pool options. The main pool was always crowded which is expected but there was only one other pool to go to. Values and Moderates generally offer many pools.
    Actually, the WL is considered one of the smallest resorts at WL. I think only the Poly has fewer rooms, if you include VWL. There are only two buildings, so only two pools. Some of the other Deluxe resorts have only 2 or maybe 3 pools. The Poly also only has 2 pools. The WL is also pretty concentrated, so there aren't multiple buildings spread over a very large area, which would facilitate the need for several pools.

But to each his own. That's why there are many resorts from which to choose.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiosammy View Post
    I am glad that I read this thread to be prepared for crowded WL buses coming to pick my DH and I up from the GF in September.
    Not cool LoL
    I've been at the GF numerous times and it's never a big deal. We don't bus often. To MK and Epcot, we're covered, no need for bus. Most buses have room when they get to the GF, some seats, lots of standing room. The bus has never been too full or required us to wait for a second one (which was our problem at our one moderate stay). I've been very happy with it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll swing by GF and Poly on your way to AK and MGM during lighter times. I found that during peak times during the day, WL has its own bus (and I'm assuming Poly and GF too). But there were some occasions on our way to MGM that we stopped at Poly.

Considering the size of WL, I think the main pool is sized about right.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR