Quantcast Hometown food

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hometown food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hometown food

Is there anyone else out there who moved to another state, and misses food from their hometown? I moved from Kansas City to Denver 10 years ago, and for some reason today I am missing “Good” food that you can’t find here! Like Barbeque, and today for some reason today I am missing Dixon’s chili. What do you miss?
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to live in Hawaii. I miss Zippy's zip min. It is a noodle soup and so ono. Also miss all the bento lunches.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We were born and raised in Western New York, (Buffalo area) and lived in SoFla for 3 years.(1998-2001) I miss SoFla terribly - but I sure missed our food when we were there. We just got back from a WDW visit and as soon as we got home we got our Tim Hortons coffee and then headed to Duff's for chicken wings. Mighty Taco is something we always miss too. Gosh there is lots of great food here!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Seattle ... and was raised in New Mexico and was in Phoenix for almost 20 years ... I can honestly say I miss Mexican food something terrible ... REAL Mexican food.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

The one food I really miss from Minnesota I could only get there once a year, and that was fried cheese curds from the State Fair. Down here in Texas at the Houston Rodeo each year they have a plethora of deep-fried concoctions--Twinkies, Snickers bars, White Castle burgers, cheesecake and Coke (yes, deep fried Coca-Cola!)--but no fried cheese curds.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

How on earth do they deep fry a drink????
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I miss Sugar on Snow from VT, and whoopie pies and Dunkin Donuts from New England.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

When DW and I get back to the Slate Belt area of PA, we always get Pasties from Pen Argyl, Deitzi's Steak sandwiches in Wind Gap, Speer's Ring Bologna in Bangor, and Tomato Pie from LaDonne's in Roseto....All taste as good as way back in the sixties, when we first moved away.

After many years away, we moved back to PA, in Montgomery County....and since we left there, we really miss the wonderful baked goods and deli meats from Henning's and Landis markets.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Originally from Maryland, we were totally spoiled by some of the best seafood on the earth. Crab cakes that weren't 40% bread filler, fresh-caught rockfish (striped bass) when in season, steamed crabs (not boiled ), and heaps of steamed shrimp.

And my two true weaknesses when we go back up there, or someone comes south to visit us ~~ Utz potato chips and Berger cookies.

True, we can get some amazing fish down here, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try another local dish --->
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I used to live in Hawaii. I miss Zippy's zip min. It is a noodle soup and so ono. Also miss all the bento lunches.
    We lived in Hawaii for 13 years and we too miss Zippy's. Also Sam Choy's for breakfast, fried rice or spam for breakfast, Tommy's Bigger Burgers, lau lau, teri burgers at McDonald's, malasadas, pork hash,.............and the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I live in Seattle ... and was raised in New Mexico and was in Phoenix for almost 20 years ... I can honestly say I miss Mexican food something terrible ... REAL Mexican food.
    Having lived most of my life in Southern California, I had no idea that the rest of the country eats UNREAL Mexican food. Man, half of the stuff, here on the east coast, that they try to pawn off as Mexican food is pathic.

OK, now I'm starving.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Moved from south jersey to south carolina and I really miss cheesesteaks, pizza and soft pretzels. I use to miss Tastykakes but I can get them down here now.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post
    How on earth do they deep fry a drink????
    It's Coke-flavored batter deep fried, with Coke syrup drizzled on top, along with whipped cream, cinnamon and sugar. Not really my cup of tea (or Coke, as it may be), but lots of people like it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

i used to live in Las Vegas and I miss Del taco, Dunkin Donuts, the buffet at the Rio, and in and out burger.
    jen

Post Thanks / Like

While living in PA for undergrad and soon to be North Carolina for grad I'll miss..

Pork Roll on a bagel

Can't get either once you leave New Jersey.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

ir's not just in the states that you can miss food.
    i'm from Belfast N.Ireland but live in Edinburgh, Scotland, I miss brown lemonade, pasties from Longs, Sawyers bacon and tayto crisps.

my dads going over this weekend though, so hopefully he won't forget the bacon
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Delaware but spent some time in England and I miss PG Tips and Twirls! Cadburys is so good in England.
    Oh and Walkers Prawn and Cocktail Crisps.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Another Philly native, but I only moved 1 1/2 hours away. I can still get good cheesesteaks (although in Philly Jim's is the best) and pizza (Charlie's on Adams Avenue gets my vote), but it's the soft pretzels that are hard to come by. I miss that brown paper bag of pretzels all squished together in a slab you that could get from the street vendors. There is a Philly Pretzel Factory location near me, but I don't trust it. Having Philly in the store name doesn't fool me.

Oh, and I miss Amoroso's rolls.

I don't miss most Tastykakes as much, since I can get them at my local supermarket now, although I have trouble getting those Tasty Klair Pies near me.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

The Philly Pretzel Factory is the real deal. The right shape, taste, everything. I've been to tons of parties where they serve them and they are very good. To anyone not familiar with Philly soft pretzels, they are NOT like Auntie Anne's. No butter. Shaped more like an oval with a knot in the center, and go stale very quickly because they are made fresh daily with no preservatives. They are simply heavenly.

I lived in Naples, Florida for a few years, and what they call cheesesteaks down there is pretty scary. If they have to preface it by saying "Philly" or "Philly style" then you know NOT to order it. I missed cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, birch beer (much more than I expected!,) Tastykakes (they only had 3 varieties and NO fruit pies!), tomato pie (if you aren't from Norristown, it's cold pizza without melted cheese, just sprinkled parm cheese, and incredibly awesome), and waterice. There was a Rita's about an hour away in Ft. Myers, but that was just too far to go. Oh, and anything Amish, like chicken corn soup, and of course, the birch beer.

I've been back for 5 years now, and I still appreciate the fact that I am now surrounded by all the wonderful stuff that I missed so badly when I was away.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Philly native, but I only moved 1 1/2 hours away. I can still get good cheesesteaks (although in Philly Jim's is the best) and pizza (Charlie's on Adams Avenue gets my vote), but it's the soft pretzels that are hard to come by. I miss that brown paper bag of pretzels all squished together in a slab you that could get from the street vendors. There is a Philly Pretzel Factory location near me, but I don't trust it. Having Philly in the store name doesn't fool me.
    I am a die hard for real Philly pretzels, too, but the Philly Pretzel Factory is a pretty good second!
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    While living in PA for undergrad and soon to be North Carolina for grad I'll miss..

Pork Roll on a bagel

Can't get either once you leave New Jersey.
    Where I live in South Carolina you can get Taylors Pork Roll or Pork Roll sliced at the deli counter. Every once in awhile I treat myself to a pork roll sandwich.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: