Quantcast Gentlemen...please give up your seats for kids on bus!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gentlemen...please give up your seats for kids on bus!

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section...
    We just returned from our trip and just something I wanted to throw out there....

-- Gentlemen - I know you are also tired at the end of the day, but I really think it would be nice for you to give up your seat on the bus for children. Not women....just children. I know I might be flamed for this but I have to bring it up. My husband did if he saw a child or a woman standing. To be fair, a number of men did give up their seats. But one night I was riding a packed bus back to CSR from Epcot and boy do they pack us on! It was just me and my two kids (ages 8 and 6) and we were standing right in the front by the yellow line. Two young "gentlemen" one in their late 20's and one in their 30's were sitting right near us (they were not together...two different groups). Bus stops short (no exaggeration, people scream). My daughter hits her mouth on my son's head b/c she couldn't hold on tight enough and she started crying and got a fat lip. Bus driver asks if everyone is ok and proceeds. At this point everyone was looking at me and my kids b/c my daughter is crying but is embarrassed so she's hiding her face in my side. These two men continue to stare at us and never offered their seat even after they saw she got hurt. Left me speechless...
    Please don't tell me that they may have had a problem with their leg, etc...if that was the case then they would have had a scooter like everyone else.

On another note.....I'm not wishing this on anyone but it is only a matter of time until someone is seriously injured riding on a packed bus like that at Disney. We were travelling 55 mph...I can't imagine what would happen if we were cut off by another car or a tire blew, etc. Pretty scary if you're the one standing in front with your kids.

Ok - done with my 2 cents.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my! I am sorry to hear about your situation. Your poor daughter... Getting hurt at Disney is not any fun. Anywho, I'm not surprised that the "gentlemen" didn't give up their seats. I find that when it comes to be nighttime and they are packing up the buses, the younger people, myself included, flock for seats. My mom and I both, however, give up our seats if someone has small children. People did it for us, so we will do it for them. I just wish people understood common courtesy these days. As for driving 55 MPH... Jeez. It's no wonder there have been so many bus accidents lately. That is irresponsible, no matter how much of a rush you are in. There are a good amount of people on that bus! Sorry for my rant. I get kinda steamed at this sort of thing.
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just men who can give up seats, but women as well. I've given up my seat before, and will again. Sometimes my DH and I don't even bother to sit down, knowing we'll just be getting up again anyway!

That said, your and your kids' safety ultimately is up to you. I know everyone is tired at the end of the evening and anxious to get back to the resort, but if you're worried about your kids' safety while standing, you can always wait to be at the front of the line for the next bus and get seats.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I was once 7 months pregnant and holding my 2 1/2 year old DD, and we were less than 5 minutes from our destination before someone offered me a seat. Really. I wouldn't have gotten on the bus if I thought there wouldn't have been enough seats, but I misjudged. Pretty sad if you ask me.
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

We've always felt that way when we go to Disney. My DH stands 99% of the time and only will sit if the bus has empty seats. Our DS is 10, and is now standing too as he models after his father. I stand with DD when we see small kids or the elderly. It is too bad common courtesy is disappearing.

And I share your concern with driving a bus 55 mph with an over flowing bus. Seems like that should be against the law as many states have seatbelt laws... but then we really would be waiting a long time for buses to come!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a nice thing for anyone who is capable (regardless of gender) to give up their seat for someone who is less able to stand on a moving bus - including kids, elderly, pregnant, someone holding a child, etc.

And while I think that in your case, it isn't likely that BOTH of the young men were handicapped, I have to respond to this:
    Please don't tell me that they may have had a problem with their leg, etc...if that was the case then they would have had a scooter like everyone else.
    Many people who have mobility problems only rent scooters at the parks and don't have them to take back and forth to the resorts. In addition, there are people who have mobility problems who don't need a scooter, but can have trouble standing on a moving bus.

My DH fell from a roof several years go and landed on his feet. His feet were completely shattered, and he had to go through a long process of learning to walk again. Now he can walk and only occasionally (on bad days) needs a scooter in WDW.

However, due to the injuries, his feet can't flex at the ankle, which throws off his balance. He has a hard time with steps, inclines, uneven ground, and standing on a moving vehicle. He still gives up his seat when he can, but if there isn't anything for him to really support himself on, he can't, for fear of falling and injuring himself or others nearby. I do, however, give up my seat, as do my kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seats On A Bus

If someone is elderly or carrying a child, I would always give up a seat to them. I will probably catch grief for this, but if the child is old enough to have walked the whole way and old enough to stand, then I do not feel compelled to give them my seat. Everyone is tired and wants to sit. At what age do you draw the line? My family has waited many times for the next bus, in order to get a seat and not be standing at the yellow line. That would probably be your best bet in the future, for both safety and seating.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings about this.

First, I do think it is polite to offer a seat. DH and I both do that routinely. However, I get aggravated when it is directed at males only. Women can just as easily stand and should be just as willing to offer seats for those who need it.

I also get aggravated when it's expected. I have been to WDW pregnant. I have been to WDW pregnant with a toddler. I have also stood many many times on the bus. If I absolutely must have a seat I can wait for the next bus. I don't even get on unless I am prepared to stand.

Also, while it's highly likely that the gentlemen you are directing your anger towards could have stood, you really don't know. Just because they didn't have a scooter doesn't mean they are able bodied.

Finally, I think it is dangerous for kids to stand and I wish WDW didn't even allow it. Again, if I need the seat for my son I wait for the next bus or now we just rent a car and avoid the whole mess.

That's my
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

In my family, we'll all give up our seats for small children, or anyone who looks like they could use a seat. But I think it's everyone's prerogative to hold on to their seat if they want it. You just can't say "Oh, look, a man! He should give up his seat for a child." You don't know the physical condition of the man in question. My DH has back problems and has had multiple knee surgeries. There are days when I would easily give up my seat for him (but he wouldn't accept, though he should). I think we shouldn't just get on the bus and judge people when we don't know their personal histories. You think you know by looking, and sometimes you do, but often you don't.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is polite if you are able to give up your seat for small children or elderly. If a bus is crowded, I do not have a problem standing. But, I feel that it is my responsibility as a parent that if I want my child to have a seat, I wait for the next bus.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I was on that bus with Mammabruski...and there were 12 people who got onto the bus early as they had one wheelchair person. Fair enough; but the two husbands from that group that got on early sat in their seats and STARED at my daughter, obviously pregnant and said, they had to hold the strollers and therefore could not give her their seat. NOW...if these people had gotten on the bus when they arrived (stayed in line, rather than entered early), they would've had to stand, and we would've gotten a seat. There were that many people in line ahead of them, but due to the wheelchair all 12 got to get on first. An finally, after 15 minutes, someone from their party (a mom) did give up her seat...the 2-1/2 was crying and wanted to be held, I had the stroller and couldn't hold her, so MammaBruski had to pick her up. There should be a limit on how many people can be seated with a wheelchair...When my dad was in one, my husband stayed with him in the handicapped line, and the rest of us waited in line with everyone else. That's how it should be.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathize with you. I believe that no one should be allowed to stand. I am sure there are many injuries that go unreported that could be eliminated.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

While I, too, would give up my seat for people who appear to need it more than I do, I tend to agree with the idea that you should refrain from getting on any bus unless you are prepared to stand, young children excepted.

In the end, though, those people who are not giving up their seats paid about the same for their WDW vacation as we did, and they have just as much right to a seat, if they get there first. It's common courtesy to offer it up, but unfortunately, not required.
    Many trips as a child!
    March 2006 - POR
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - ASMu
    February 2009 - Offsite
    May 2010 - SSR
    February 2012 - SSR
    August 2012 - CSR
    October 2013 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

This post reminds me of a trip a few years back. I was pregnant and had two young children at the time. It was night and both kids were asleep. We got on a crowded bus and had to hold both kids, the double stroller, and the diaper bag, all while standing. The entire ride people looked at us but no-one offered a seat. I had both kids in my arms and my husband had the stroller and bags. It was a long ride. The next morning, we got on a bus that was not as crowded, but initially we were going to have to stand. Both kids were awake. Right away a young couple stood up and gave us the seats. We had a nice chat about how people do not have the same respect anymore for others and that unfortunately many people are not taught to stand and give someone a seat who might need it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will always stand until I am certain there is enough room for me to sit down. But, I agree chivalry is dead for the most part. When DD14 was on her first trip (DD2 at the time), I got on the bus with her after closing. She was sound asleep and I was standing...there were a number of younger gentlemen who just watched me struggle holding her while she slept, but none would offer me a seat. It's a shame how manners are the exception now.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a Flame but

No reason to flame you but I almost disagree.

I regularly give up my seat but when I do I always find myself standing while teenagers and 20somethings sit and never give up a seat.

WDW should not overload busses. It's a safety hazard and when that hazard results in injuries the company should pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    In my family, we'll all give up our seats for small children, or anyone who looks like they could use a seat. But I think it's everyone's prerogative to hold on to their seat if they want it. You just can't say "Oh, look, a man! He should give up his seat for a child." You don't know the physical condition of the man in question. My DH has back problems and has had multiple knee surgeries. There are days when I would easily give up my seat for him (but he wouldn't accept, though he should). I think we shouldn't just get on the bus and judge people when we don't know their personal histories. You think you know by looking, and sometimes you do, but often you don't.

I could have written this post word for word. Generally, we stand but there are times DH's back can't handle the jostling that comes with standing on a fast moving bus. When he needs to sit, we wait for a bus with empty seats.

I am really sorry your child was hurt.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to urge people here to please remember that not all disabilites are visible.

I have ulcerative colitis and have a VERY hard time on public transportation. I cannot handle long rides away from a restroom and I have a medical card that I cary in my wallet. With that being said, my disability is on the inside, not the outside.

I know people with little kids give me a dirty look when I'm sitting and they're standing. But I wish people realize that sometimes the only way to settle my stomach is by sitting. I am suffering very much and you can't see it, even though I appear to be a healthy 25 year old.

Before you pass judgement, please remember that not all disabilities are visible.
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry If I offend anyone, but as a matter of general principle, I teach my children, just as I was taught, to have respect for their elders (and all others in general). In my opinion, the rights and/or privileges of children of children DO NOT supersede the rights or privileges of adults. My kids open doors for adults (of both sexes) and would give up their seats on the bus for adults.
    The dearth of this opinion among many parents raising children is shown in the lack of respect in our culture that many young people have for their elders.

Note: I'm not talking about infants or toddlers, but children who are old enough to taught.

I also agree that no one should really have to be standing on buses, but it is still safer than than driving in your own car.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Common courtesy is not a given anymore. And if someone does not want to give up their seat, they should not be tarred and feathered for it. That being said, I am handicapped, I walk with a cane and have trouble walking and standing. Not once have I had to stand on a bus at Disney. But if I had to, oh well. The person sitting paid about the same as I and has the same right to that seat as I do. Just because we have children, just because we are handicapped, just because we are pregnant does not give us special privileges. If sitting means that much to someone, wait for the next bus. You're at Disney, relax.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: