Quantcast How do you beat the heat? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I will have to try the cooling scarf thing. Where do you get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    Which brand do you use,and where can your purchase them at?
    I got mine at a craft show, but try googling "cooling neck tie" There are several sites I found, one that even has directions on how to make them.
    They are filled with polymer crystals that absorb 400 times their weight in water and then release it slowly , keeping the fabric damp and cool.
    Donna

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what previous posters have said, if I know I'm going to be in the parks most of the day, I try to plan a table service lunch around 1:00. That gives me about an hour or so of resting in some air conditioning and gets me out of the sun during some the hottest times. Then I'll do a counter service dinner. It's worked well for me in the past.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't mind the heat/humidity all that much. I can sit by the pool or in it for hours and hours(now that I'm older and smarter with sunscreen). Since I have little muppets though, I dress them light, always give them tons to drink. We take breaks alot, whether it be, going back to the room for nappytime, or to the pool for the afternoon, or even an extended lunch break. We also go in the spring, another big plus it's not nearly as humid then. This year we're going the latest we've ever gone May 3rd, so we'll see how hot it will be. I'm also used to the heat since 4 month out of the year I work outside in it everyday, and it's usually like Hades half the day
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed last time I was there that everything seems to be spaced out in such a way that when you walk from one building to another you have just enough time to get hot and then you are cool again from the air con of the next building... at least this works at Epcot, by the time you walk from one country to the next you are cool again.

Post Thanks / Like

There are really only four things I do:

1) Don't go from mid May to mid September.

2) Take it easy, walk slow, sit in shade.

3) Wear a wide brimmed straw hat.

4) Drink lots of water.

(Note: Beer is 95% water. )
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

When we have visited WDW in really hot weather, we always would buy the water parks and more option. We'd visit the theme parks early, take the afternoon at the water parks, then hit the theme parks gain later in the evenings. The theme parks are usually open later during the summer months, so we really didn't miss out on very much "ride time". And floating around the water parks in the "lazy rivers" is a great way to beat the heat, and they are a lot of fun, too.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Number one trick is to stay hydrated with WATER.

I've gone through a 20oz bottle before I leave the room in the morning and I'm well into the second bottle before i een get through the turnstyles.

Same drill after lunch, I grab another couple bottles from the room and the first is gone before I get to the park.

I probably go through at least 6 bottles of water a day. Also, wearing light clothing that wicks moisture away from you, wearing sandals instead of socks and sneakers, and smartuse of inside venues and planning your lunches will do wonders.

This is coming from someone who goes Julyish every year...
    This is the ultimate way to stay cool. Wicking clothing can be cheap (I'm not a Wal-Mart fan, but the shirts I use come from there and I think they were under 10 a piece). You wear wicking material and any breeze cools you very very well. I also carry a collapsible 32 oz water bottle with a thin neck (usually a platypus or nalgene). The collapsible part is nice because you can stash it in a bag or something and as you drink the water you purge the air and it takes up less and less space, the thin neck helps too. The larger necked bottles make it a bit easier to get water in, but I've never had a problem with filling the thin neck ones. Keeping hydrated and wearing breatheable/wicking clothing is a great trick to staying cool.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Short answer: I don't!

In our family I'm always the one that runs for the nearest bit of shade or AC every time we stopped outside for more than 10 seconds.

This was for earlier trips in May/June, as our next trip is in August/September it will probably be even hotter. Will have to try a combination of suggestions here and hoping I've toughened up a bit now I've grown.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the neck cooler that everyone is talking about? http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/cobber.htm

I think I would be embarrassed to wear one of these, but if they truly work, I think I could stand a little embarrassment for our upcoming August trip.

April, 1998 Coronado Springs
    April, 2001 Coronado Springs
    January, 2004 All-Star Sports
    July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    April, 2006 Pop Century
    December, 2006 All-Star Sports
    March, 2008 All-Star Movies
    April, 2009 All-Star Music
    August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Because we've been lucky to go a bunch of times, we tended to go to the parks later in the day. If there were EMH at night we went at night. We would spend our days at the resort pool or water parks.

I hate the heat and humidity and I really enjoyed our time when we were there in August.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We went in May for a few years in a row, but that would be just the beginning of the heat and humidty.

I always planned in a break midday to go back to the room and rest a bit. Being at the parks, I planned my touring to include air conditioned shows or attraction every so often, so your are not out walking around in the heat too long at once.

The Hall of Presidents maybe a great idea afterall! The Liberty Belle is also a fun way to kick back a bit and enjoy the breeze. At Epcot, Innoventions is a good way to kill some cool time. AK is a big hot one-catch the shows to cool off. DHS has plenty of shows and air conditioned attractions.

Think about ride queues-if they are inside or outside in the heat, plan a few bathroom and water breaks. Pick an air conditioned place to eat your meals-eating outside is nice, but too darn hot in the summer.

Other than that-personal fans, misting fans, hats, and light colored shirts are handy.
    Polynesian & BLT October 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WVParkfan View Post
    Is this the neck cooler that everyone is talking about? http://pages.prodigy.net/volksware/volksware/cobber.htm

I think I would be embarrassed to wear one of these, but if they truly work, I think I could stand a little embarrassment for our upcoming August trip.
    That looks like the right thing. Keep in mind that if you use them you have to let them soak in water a looooong time before using them if they are bone dry (I want to say about an hour or so). My aunt made me one for hiking but I haven't used it for a couple years. It works by soaking up water slowly, then slowly releasing the water to have it evaporate on the back of your neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, right now it's 89 degrees in NJ, and 79 in Orlando. I think I'm going to have to go to WDW to cool off.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WVParkfan View Post

Yes, that is what they are like. I thought I would be embarrassed too, but I wasn't. the one I have is solid blue and the first day I wore it I happened to be wearing a blue tank so they blended well. After I realized it worked so well, I didn't care what it looked like the next day!
    I DID take it off for most of our Photopass pics though!
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

We just go to Epcot & hang out in Ice Station Cool all day
    Offsite: 72', 89
    Poly: 76', 97', 02', 03',06
    Golf Resort: 79'
    Contemporary: 88'
    WL: 00', 01',14'
    BC: 05', 07'(surprised the kids!!), 09'
    BW 11

Post Thanks / Like

At WDW its fairly easy since a vast majority of the queues and attractions are indoors and ACed, especially at Epcot and DHS.

AK is the major exception were virtually every queue and most rides are outdoor, the way we beat the heat there is: doing it only in the morning, and then riding Kali River Rapids fairly early as well.

The MK is a mix bag, but if you time your Splash rides and mix in indoor rides with outdoor ones you should be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

we have camelbaks that we take with us. great investment, we stay hydrated all the time.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

What is a camelbak?
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finaldynasty View Post
    What is a camelbak?
    Its basically a bladder that you can fill up with water and keep hydrated. They come in all different styles.

My wife and I both have them, ours are backpacks with a bladder in them that has a tube you drink from. Google it, you'll see what i'm talking about. People use them for hiking and stuff like that.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

My hubby and I are HUGE fans of the Camelbak!!!! We use them for every Disney trip, hiking, mountain biking, etc. We take our Camelbak and fill it almost completely full of ice before leaving our resort and add some water too it. The great thing is that the ice water keeps your back cool and reminds you to drink water throughout the day. We went in December during a heat wave and had some record or near record heat and humidity. We filled the Camelbak with ice and some water in the morning, then would go back to our resort in the afternoon and refill it while we waited for our camera battery to charge. This gave us about an hour to rest in our air conditioned room, take a quick dip in the pool, or simply shower again to feel cool.

Make sure you take and reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Go watch an indoor show, or ride a long indoor ride during the high heat of the day.(So be sure to get in line early, because everyone else will start to get the same idea). I went in August many years ago and we would often leave a park midday and go back to our hotel to swim or go to a water park. We would then shower and get ready to go back to the park again later in the evening.

Remember to take breaks whenever you need to and slow down. Browse through shops, linger in the shops as you exit a ride before heading out into the heat again.

And don't forget to have the ever important Dole Whip and Mickey shaped Ice cream bars! I feel they help exceptionally well
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: