Quantcast So Disney is on the cheap...again - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bought any good souvineers in a while other that resort specific pins. And I got those on eBay. I agree about the quality of stuff available for high prices. I even have trouble finding the coin books for the pressed coins now. Most of the things in the shops are available online or at Walmart and other places. When I go to WDW, I want something unique. I have a hard time just finding a cute T shirt or anything.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed this too last September. Same generic stuff everywhere. I did note however, that the prices are not always consistant. They varied from place to place, gift shop to gift shop. At Blizzard Beach, the Mickey ice cream bars were priced differently! Crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Well, it is a lot cheaper to mass produce a lot of the same stuff vs offering lots of different stuff, so this practice could have actually increased profits, or at least set off loss. Which means that they wouldn't really mind if they're selling less of it if they're still seeing a better profit or less profit loss in the end. Sad for us, good for their bottom line. Possibly.
    True, but it's the law of diminishing returns. If the reason people aren't buying stuff is because you've made it too generic and cheap feeling you can lower the price-per-unit to boost profits but if you do so by making the stuff even more generic and cheap feeling you're probably going to lose more sales to the point that it's a wash (at best).

But your point is still valid. I mean I'm mostly speculating anyway. It's not like I have an inside view into their financials. It's mostly just based off rumors I've heard and what passes in my mind for common sense which, I think most people would tell you, isn't necessarily very sensible.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sad I always like to shop at different resorts and DD, but when we were there last August, it was similar across the board. Made shopping no fun. Making $$ is important I'm sure, but I can see this costing them a bundle in profits in the long run! Just my
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Contemporary Resort in January and could not find a single piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Just the generic Disney stuff you can get anywhere! I had the same problem the year before at the Wilderness Lodge when it can to buying shirts, they had some but very limited in size and styles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trynkat View Post
    I hope this wouldn't include pins.
    I hope not either! On my trip in November, I had family staying at ASMo and I got a pin there also from WL, GF, Poly and CR. I am looking forward to completing my new hobby when I return in 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDoug2 View Post
    We stayed at the Contemporary Resort in January and could not find a single piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Just the generic Disney stuff you can get anywhere! I had the same problem the year before at the Wilderness Lodge when it can to buying shirts, they had some but very limited in size and styles.
    I had to hunt for the Monorail shirt the one that says "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas" in the Contemp it was so bad that I actually got the last one then we went over to WL and we picked up 4 WL logo shirts.
    Lately it's more like hunting instead of shopping!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

buzz2001 Guest

Yes, I heard the same thing prior to my trip to CSR in December. They hardly had any resort specific items. I got a few t-shirts with the CSR logo they had left.

Post Thanks / Like

we rarely see anything cool enough to buy. The best thing we ever got at disney was the mr. potato head disney pieces. Our kids get lots of play value out of those. We bought the castle and the epcot ball with the 2 kids' birthday gift cards last year and it didn't take long for them to fall apart, so our trip in december we didn't but anything.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

When we were in Disney in December, they were giving out coupons when you purchased a meal at a counter service location you got a coupon on your receipt to enjoy a full 20% discount between 9am-12pm at each parks Main Gift Shop. The deal sounded good to me, so we did one big shopping and everyone got what they wanted and we saved $25, so it was like getting an item free.
    We did buy a few little items here and there, but I have girls and they always want to shop... The Accountants dream clients!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    We bought the castle and the epcot ball with the 2 kids' birthday gift cards last year and it didn't take long for them to fall apart, so our trip in december we didn't but anything.
    Wow, that's a shame that that happened.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    When we were in Disney in December, they were giving out coupons when you purchased a meal at a counter service location you got a coupon on your receipt to enjoy a full 20% discount between 9am-12pm at each parks Main Gift Shop. The deal sounded good to me, so we did one big shopping and everyone got what they wanted and we saved $25, so it was like getting an item free.
    We did buy a few little items here and there, but I have girls and they always want to shop... The Accountants dream clients!
    Julie
    We were also there in December and took advantage of the 20% discount, it was great. All three of our daughters are in college so they loved being able to do some christmas shopping and came home with some great surprises by using the discount.

I do agree that buying resort specific is almost a lost cause. I used to always buy a tshirt from which ever resort we stayed at but I have not done that since 2005. Sad!

Post Thanks / Like

This is really sad for me to be hearing this. I've always loved buying the resort specific items. There were plenty of items when we were at CBR last May but maybe this has changed now.

I had noticed last year that the photo albums no longer even had the year printed on them. So now when we go back this year, all we'll be able to buy to fit all of our pictures is the same album we bought last year. Of course, the refillable mugs are also basically the same ones we bought last year...
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Share This Thread On Social Media: