I agree 100% about circuses - ugh, not able to understand why people think these are not a problem for the animals - just seeing the train cars that they show up in is enough to make me cry.

I do, however, feel differently about certain zoos. As I stated, we have an amazing zoo here in NC. Animals are never forced out & all the employees & maps will tell you that all the animals are allowed constant access to their "backstage" area and never forced out. There are many disappointed faces upon seeing the newly redeveloped African plains which allow the elephants & rhinos a much greater space to roam and be normal, therefore also allowing them to be out of sight quite often. As I stated earlier, the polar bear exhibit allowed us to accept three polar bears rescued from a Caribbean circus. Sadly one never made it, as she died en route from poor health due to her conditions in the circus. Another died about 2 years ago, and while he did gain a lot of weight, he was never able to gain enough to be a normal size (again, thanks to the substandard conditions from which he came to us). The third, however, is thriving & making great strides - we are always pleased to see his progress when we visit. (FYI: The Michigan Zoo & the zoo in Tacoma, Washington received the other polar bears rescued from this same circus.)

Unfortunately there are so many bad zoos where animals are kept in unhealthy conditions and environments. We have to do our research before we visit other zoos to make sure that we are our visiting (and thereby supporting) are pro-conservation & education through giving these animals as normal a life as possible.

After discussing this thread with DH, he said "I definitely felt like Seaworld was overcrowded with animals in each tank when we visited" - and he is not even an animal lover like myself. Again, it is just sad all around. My thoughts & prayers are still with the family of the trainer that was killed.