Quantcast "Give a Day" vollunt"ears" getting special treatment?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Give a Day" vollunt"ears" getting special treatment?

I just got my vouchers printed for our upcoming trip. My daughter and I sewed blankets for Project Linus as par of the Give a day/Get a day promotion. Our coordinator told me that she heard that when we redeem our vouchers we'd get buttons identifying us as vollunt"ears". These buttons had been getting people all kinds of attention from cast members and even some special treatment (magic moments)... Our trip is for her birthday, and I know she will be thrilled either way, but the extra attention would sure make her visit even more unforgettable... has anyone else hear this?

-Dave
    • 1971- Inaugural visit!
    • 1984-Family Spring Break
    • 1989-EPCOT only
    • Disney Break!1990-94
    • 1996-Brother Trip
    • 1999-DF's first trip
    • 2000-Proposal to DF
    • 2001x3-Married/Wedding Pavillion
    • 2002-X2, Me&DW/Me&DB
    • 2003- Boy's trip
    • 2004-Me+Mom&Dad
    • 2005-Mom &Me
    • 2006x2-Daughter's first trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

that's what I am doing right now making blankets. Making 4. Have arthritis in the hands so it's a lot of work. I know the kids that get them will love the though so it's worth it. The blankets cost me about $70 for 4 but that sure beats the $89 a ticket they charge for a day. the kids are tying and the husband is helping cut so it is a family thing which is real nice!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

So are these buttons dated? Couldn't they be used day after day? Or bought and sold on eBay. Sounds like the have significant value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    So are these buttons dated? Couldn't they be used day after day? Or bought and sold on eBay. Sounds like the have significant value.
    The buttons are NOT tickets and do not have any "cash value". They are like the birthday or first visit buttons that anyone can get in the park either by going to the button cart by the turnstiles or at City Hall in Town Sq.

Post Thanks / Like

If they give you special treatment they have value.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

In response to the buying and selling of the volunteer buttons.

I don't want to be the "ethical" police here. But I don't know how ethically right it is to sell and or buy a special volunteer button just so you could get special treatment.
    The whole idea of volunteering is to do it without expecting anything in return, and to get a free ticket to Disney just adds a cherry to the top of the feeling you already get just by helping people. But to suggest buying a button (that you didn't earn) just so you could get "extra attention" (when you did nothing to earn the attention) doesn't sit right with me.
    I'm not saying I am against someone receiving a free ticket to Disney for their hard work, but I don't agree with the idea of buying and selling of buttons just so someone can get special treatment.

But to each his own.

I am big on doing volunteer work, and I feel that the reward of helping people is much more meaningful than anything I could ever receive here on earth.

To all of the people who are honestly earning your buttons and volunteering, Good for you! You are helping people in many ways. And you may not even realize that, what to you may feel like a seemingly "small task", it still has changed someone's life. Congrats!
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ŗoŗ "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ŗoŗ

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to be the "ethical" police here. But I don't know how ethically right it is to sell and or buy a special volunteer button just so you could get special treatment.
    I really doubt that anyone will "buy or sell" a volunteer button on ebay for the purpose of getting special treatment any more than they would buy/sell a birthday button for the same purpose.

Buttons are handed out at the button cart or at City Hall and there is no "checking" as to whether it is actually someone's birthday or whether it is their 1st visit, guests are taken at their word when they ask for a button. While I don't specifically know about the voluntear button, I would really doubt as to whether you would have to provide any documentation to get one after you enter the park and Guest Relations does not hand them out at the window when you exchange your voucher, at least they weren't doing that with any of the other commemorative buttons.

As I said in an earlier post, they have NO CASH value, only sentimental, and are not any form of a ticket.

As far as getting special treatment, CM's go out of their way to acknowledge birthday buttons, first visit buttons, little girls in costume (saying "hello princess, etc.) and such, so I expect they will do the same with the voluntear buttons also. Actually that is what they are expected to do, to acknowledge these buttons.

I was down last week for a couple of days and didn't see one nor did I hear any CM's acknowledge but I will check the next time I go to the park in a couple of weeks.

I just think the poster that suggested the ebay aspect to the buttons is reaching way far out as to their importance beyond a sentimental significance to the individual that asks for one.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got the impression the poster was going to go on ebay and market these buttons. I think he was merely pointing out the problems that arise when others place value on an item with no obvious "cash value".

In other words, fastpasses have no "cash value" and yet they've ended up on ebay, earning cash because of their "perceived" value.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ø.•*Ø)ø.•*Ø)ø.•*ØMagicø.•*Ø)ø.•*Ø)ø.•*Ø

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I figure that CMs are going to get tired of seeing the buttons soon and the "special" treatments will lessen. It happens with every promotion. I'm not going into it expecting anything more than the discount on my AP purchase and with a good feeling that I've done something to help out someone who needed it.
    Kathy ŗoŗ

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

The original poster made it seem like the volunteer buttons gave very special attention even beyond that of the birthday and first visit buttons, which are currently listed on eBay.
    I was merely suggesting that the sale of the buttons exists. It was made to sound like I want to run an illegal business selling buttons. Which actually wouldn't be illegal at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    It was made to sound like I want to run an illegal business selling buttons. Which actually wouldn't be illegal at all.
    I would never mean to suggest that you would do something illegal.

Sometimes post don't always come across as you mean for them to. I was just expressing my feelings, sorry if it came across wrong.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ŗoŗ "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ŗoŗ

Post Thanks / Like

People actually sell the free Birthday and 1st Visit buttons and expired Fastpasses on Ebay? And people buy them?

I didn't notice the Volunteer buttons getting any more attention then other buttons but before one of the parades, an announcement was made thanking all the volunteers.
    Last edited by badkitty; 02-07-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: computer posted my comments before I was finished. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am missing something here, but if the buttons are being sold on ebay...perhaps it is just for collectability of the button? People collect stranger things for sure!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but if the buttons are being sold on ebay...perhaps it is just for collectability of the button? People collect stranger things for sure!
    Like lint. Or string.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I can see people buying them. Alot of people don't know you just have to go ask for one. They think its a special gift or something from the parks.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of have my own question regarding this topic and wasn't sure where to post it. Has anyone seen the "ears"? My mom, DS9, and I are doing the Linus blankets in a few weeks. We have a trip planned for Sept that include tickets. So we were thinking we'd use the other choices. My DS9 wanted to know what the ears look like to see if that is something he'd wear. He always gets Mickey ears on our trips. Also, had anyone used the special fastpass yet? Can you choose what park to use it at? Sorry to add more questions. Or if this should be moved, please feel free to move it.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

- The "Ears" are not the kind you wear, but rather a figurine with pins. See picture below.

- Disney's FASTPASS® Special Exchange Cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party. (From Disney's Website):

Present voucher at applicable Theme Park ticket booth for Exchange Card. Participating attractions are subject to change. Valid theme park admission required. The number of Exchange Cards is limited and may not be available after 11 a.m. All Guests in your party must be present to receive the Exchange Card.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and the quick response! Somehow I missed the "figurine" part in the description. But I'm sure my son would still enjoy displaying it in his room.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

time do to some volunteer work! I want that figurine & pins! maybe I can convince the rest of my family to volunteer to get us some fastpasses as well!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

People will buy anything on eBay. Even the free park maps. Even thought its free, its still collectible.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: