Quantcast Help! I'm a WDW virgin--Teach me your ways!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! I'm a WDW virgin--Teach me your ways!!

Hello, I'm Courtney and at my university I am taking a WDW class--We will be going to WDW in March, and I am really overwhelmed with how much there is down there!! Please, please, please--Help figure out the best places to research and ways to get the most bang for my buck!

I look forward to getting to know you, and thanks for coming to my rescue!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Courtney - you have come to the right place for the best information on WDW. Just ask any questions you have and someone will have the answer. It's like magic!

Post Thanks / Like

useful things for others to know concerning your trip (so they can offer meaningufl advice) would include:

the number of days you will be at the parks

the age range of the group you will be traveling with

your general budget (i.e. is this going to be an economy trip or a 'first class all the way" affair.)
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

I'm sure lots of people will be giving you tips, but what we did our first trip was figure out what rides were "must do" and which we could miss. To us, the rides/attractions are important. Also, check out the restaurants and make your ADRs as soon as you can....if not, it's hard to get into the more popular spots.

Here's my mini-list:

Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Everest
    Dinosaur
    Tower of Terror
    Rock n' Rollercoaster
    Kilimanjaro Safari

The Brown Derby
    Le Cellier
    Sci-Fi Dine In
    Starring Rolls

Just to get you started
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for getting back to me so quickly!!

My class size is 8 students and the teacher --(this is his dream class). All of the students are between 19-21. We will arrive on Wed. March. 10 and leave the 17th. Our passes are from the Wed. we arrive to Thurs. (16th). We are staying at Popcentury.

My budget is --basically spend as little as I can (poor college student-go figure) I don't mind kicking out money if its worth it, but i won't be paying $20 for a t-shirt.

I just recently started liking rollar-coasters. So I'm pumped about all the Mountains in WDW. Umm... I really don't know what my questions are yet since I don't know that much about the parks so....idk

Post Thanks / Like

a better question to you is, what WDW class are you taking, and how do I take it??? That sounds awesome!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    a better question to you is, what WDW class are you taking, and how do I take it??? That sounds awesome!!!
    It's at Western Illinois University, I guess you could transfer It will be pretty exciting--but this isn't a blow-off class either, the teacher is expecting a lot of book-reading, blog-reading, and thread-ing (idk if that is how to say it) but it'll be worth it. Plus I'm pretty good friends with my classmates so that is definitely a bonus!

Post Thanks / Like

First I need to ask you something!!!
    What criteria is this class fulfilling for you? I think its such a great idea!!!
    I wouldn't worry if I were you about being overwhelmed etc. It seems like if the teacher's wife runs a disney website then she knows what she is talking about and so does he.
    I'm sure they are going to be taking you to everything in the parks and then telling you a little bit about each thing.
    If I were you I'd pick up a disney travel book at your closest bookstore and read through it and highlight things like stores, rides, shows that interest you and then mention it to your teacher so that you can find the time to fit it in.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    First I need to ask you something!!!
    What criteria is this class fulfilling for you?

mention it to your teacher so that you can find the time to fit it in.
    It is an Honors-humanities class. I already have humanities filled, so this is really just a fun class. We only have 6 more weeks to meet before we go so I know we will get more into what they have, but more excitingly--my class gets the chance to go into the tunnels and see behind-the-scences Disney!!

Post Thanks / Like

A virgin college student? Just kidding because you opened the door. I just checked my MBA program and there is no WDW Class. Who can I call to get it added?

As a college student, I know the money constraints. There are many things you can do and many things you can skip. It is really up to you. You really need to research what is available at all of the parks to see what interests you. Since this is a college course, don't you have the Parks memorized by now j/k?

Things that are must do's if you have never been:

1. Wishes
    2. Illuminations
    3. MK (pretty much all of it once)
    4. D'vine @ AK if she is there
    5. Kilimanjaro Safari
    6. Kali River Rapids
    7. Expedition Everest
    8. Dinosaur
    9. Festival of the Lion King
    10. Nemo show maybe
    11. All of World Showcase
    12. SSE
    13. Mission Space
    14. Test Track
    15. Soarin
    16. DHS

Tips:
    1. Take it slow and take in all of the detail and not just be overwhelmed with the size.
    2. Say hi to me when I am there too (03/06 - 03/14). I am a tall red head with an awe-struck 4yo DD.
    3. Enjoy Pop. There is so much nostalgia there, maybe not for your generation though
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Tips:

1. Arrive early and do popular attractions first-every day one park has extra morning hours and extra evening hours available to those staying on Disney properties
    2. Most rides exit through a gift shop, fight the temptation to look around and go straight to the next attraction
    3. If you plan to eat Table Service Meals (TS)-make ADRs as soon as possible
    4. Make use of disney transportation-buses, boats and monorail are available to take you to the parks and Downtown Disney-give yourself at least 30 minutes to get to each location when using their transportation
    5. Pack two pair of well broken in comfortable shoes-I suggest tennis shoes or walking shoes and take plenty of mole skin and bandaids just in case you get a blister.

Have fun

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Something else you might want to consider, check out some Disney-related podcasts. There are several to pick from including:

The Dis Unplugged
    Magical Definition
    The Meandering Mouse
    The WDW Radio Show
    WDW Today
    A Window to the magic

They are fun listening and provide a lot of valuable information. Just go to iTunes and look for them.

Also, you might want to check out this thread here on Intercot that talks about Podcasts.

Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to write a WDW themed paper, I think I would pick the "Main Street Windows". There is a nice .99 iphone app that explains who everyone is and why they have a WDW Window. Also, why not watch Modern Marvels Walt Dineyworld it really gives you some insight on the original planning of the MK park.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

It could be a good idea to start with simple informations about your trip, so that we can tell you things about what you are going to experience.

1. Where will you be staying (on-site in a Disney hotel, or off-site ? In which hotel ?)

2. Are you going to spend all your days at parks or are there any other activities planned ? Will you be going to waterparks, minigolfs, and Downtown Disney ?

3. Is there any kind of report or work expected ?

Then questions about you :

1. Do you have favorite characters that you'd like to meet ? (I know, your all grown and adult, but I'm 32 and I love meeting Chip and Dale !)

2. Are there things your are afraid of (insects, height) or anything you are subject to (motion sickness, claustrophobia) ?

3. Do you have any experience with a theme park at all ? Which one ? What do you expect from your visit ?
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

Post Thanks / Like

Order a Disney DVD off of the Disney website...It's free and covers a lot of the parks...YouTube is a great place to watch ride videos...If you have an IPod then you can download several free apps that you can use before you go and when you get there...You can watch Season of Disney on the Travel Channel...It is on every so often so if you can catch it take a look...Hope this helps a little...By the way, to Intercot...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Something else you might want to consider, check out some Disney-related podcasts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Actually listening to podcasts is part of our curriculum. We are to listen to DISUnplugged, and choose between Musestation, Inside the Magic, The WDW Radio Show, WDW Today. Also we are reading blogs too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty908 View Post
    Actually listening to podcasts is part of our curriculum. We are to listen to DISUnplugged, and choose between Musestation, Inside the Magic, The WDW Radio Show, WDW Today. Also we are reading blogs too!
    Oooooh ! Can you share some of the blogs you are reading (names only, URLs are not allowed here) ?

I'm always looking for good blogs about WDW !
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post

1. Where will you be staying (on-site in a Disney hotel, or off-site ? In which hotel ?)

2. Are you going to spend all your days at parks or are there any other activities planned ? Will you be going to waterparks, minigolfs, and Downtown Disney ?

3. Is there any kind of report or work expected ?/QUOTE]

1.My class is staying in Popcentury.
    2. Morning to Afternoon is "class-time/tours" Afternoon-Evening is ours to explore and do stuff.
    3. We have a major paper/project that is kind of an independent study--that we'll present to the class during Finals Week. I'm not sure yet what mine will be about, but I think mine will be focused on the interactions between cast members and guests of various ages.

[QUOTE/Then questions about you :

1. Do you have favorite characters that you'd like to meet ? (I know, your all grown and adult, but I'm 32 and I love meeting Chip and Dale !)

2. Are there things your are afraid of (insects, height) or anything you are subject to (motion sickness, claustrophobia) ?

3. Do you have any experience with a theme park at all ? Which one ? What do you expect from your visit ?
    1. Chip & Dale or Chippendale? Not off the top of my head. I'm excited to see some of the musical-stuff (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King)
    2. I just recently got into roller coasters--I'm a big scardie-cat, but if pressured, i'll do it!
    3. I went to Disneyland when I was 4, then we lived in Reno-so it was pretty close. Umm... Six Flags (chicago & St. Louis), Adventureland (Iowa),

Honestly I expect to be amazed. Watching the cheesy promo videos literally puts a smile to my face. I expect this travel program will be great because not only is it fun, but more importantly I am going with some of my friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fielin View Post
    Oooooh ! Can you share some of the blogs you are reading (names only, URLs are not allowed here) ?

I'm always looking for good blogs about WDW !
    Required:
    DISUnplugged.
    Passport2dream
    Land All Ears--Jack Spence
    Main St. Gazette

Optional:
    2719 Hyperion
    Jim Hill Media
    Sam Land Disney
    Imanginerding
    df82.blogspot
    Designing Disney-Blogspot

Post Thanks / Like

Okay !

About your resort : you're staying at Pop Century. There are three kinds of resorts on the Disney property : value, moderate and deluxe.

The Deluxe are the most expensive, and are supposed to be more subdued. In a deluxe resort, you access your room by an indoor corridor. The pools are elaborate, and they have a slide. Most deluxe are situated near a park. From some (Contemporary, Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Club), you can walk to a park. Some have a direct access to the monorail (Polynesian, Contemporary, Grand Floridian), others have boats to a park (Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom, Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht club to Epcot). They also have several restaurants on site - some of them are the best on property.

Moderates have a beautiful theming (New Orleans, Carribeans...), a slide at the swimming pool, but choice of restaurants are more restricted, and you access your room from the outside of the building.

Value are the least expensive, there are no slides at the swimming pools, and they have food courts (quick service restaurants).

Pop is a value, but I stayed there and I loved it ! The theme is all about the 50 last years of the 20th century. Each building represents one decade, with catchphrases from these years, giant objects and statues, and it is a very FUN resort.

All hotels have buses to go to the parks, waterparks, and DownTown Disney.

Pop is very special, because it does not share its buses with other hotels on-site, so it is usually easier to hop on the bus : no need to wait for the next one !

You will love it there !

It i possible to by a mug that grants you free refills at the food court of your hotel for your whole stay.

This can be a great way to save on soft drinks and hot drinks !

If you wish, and if you can find the time, you can also visit other resorts (but you can't use their pools). This is a great way to unwind and discover the intricacy of the different themes.
    -------------
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: