Quantcast Block of Disney's Hollywood Studios to Undergo Refubishment 2/15/10 - 3/27/10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Block of Disney's Hollywood Studios to Undergo Refubishment 2/15/10 - 3/27/10

2/4/10

The refurbishment dates for the Studios Catering Co. have been shifted to February 8 through March 20, 2010.

Studios Cast have also reported that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure has been updated to a partitioned refurbishment and will not require a full closure. Guests should still expect some sections of the attraction to be blocked-off during the time period.

The refurbishment dates for the Studio Backlot Tour reportedly remain unchanged.

The scope of these refubishments has still not been announced, but any potential changes are still expected to be minor. It has also not been reported what Guest flow options should be expected around the area of these three adjecent attractions.

12/28/09

It has been announced that the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure, Studio Catering Co. restaurant, and the Studio Backlot Tour will be closed for refurbishment February 15 through March 27, 2010.

With these three adjacent locations being closed for refurbishment at the same time, there is potential for the whole area to be walled off during this period or at least congested walk ways due to walls around the individual areas.

Speculation is running rampant that these refurbishments are tied to expanding the adjacent Pixar Place into this area. While this geographically makes sense, there are currently no internal reports or announcements that support such changes.

Further updates on how these refurbishments will affect Guest patterns through this area and the changes planned, will be made to this thread.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Monster's Inc ride - PLEASE!!!! My kids and I have had one planned out for years!
    Disneyluva

March 16 WDW off property
    April 15 DLR
    Feb 15 WDW off prorpety
    April 14 DCL and AKL
    March 13 DCL
    March 12 BC
    August 11 ASM
    January 10 GF
    April 09 BC
    November 06 GF
    January 05 GF
    February 98 Contemporary
    1978-1994 Many off Properties

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how much they expect to accomplish in 6 weeks!!! Unless there are things already prepared for switch-out, this sounds like a relatively minor refurb of the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62
    Don't know how much they expect to accomplish in 6 weeks!!! Unless there are things already prepared for switch-out, this sounds like a relatively minor refurb of the area.
    Right, any changes toward a Pixar Place annexation would be only cosmetic in that short of a time period...and that's assuming that is even the reason for these rehabs.

It would stand to reason that something is afoot; however, as two attractions and a restaurant in the same vicinity do not typically close for refurbs at the same time for just routine maintenance.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is probably the beginning of the end for the "Honey" movie set. With Captain EO taking over "Audience" at Disneyland, it's not surprising that Disney is preparing to get rid of all things "Honey" as it's out of date and not as recognizable to the general public like it once was.

It's sort of Disney's own fault that these themed attractions don't get as much attention as they used to. It's not like they've really ever released a good special edition double pack of "Shrunk" and "Blew Up" for an nostalgic audience to connect with.
    People Can Buy a Coke but They Can't Pee in the Streets - Walt Disney (choosing between drinking fountains & bathrooms during a plumber's strike)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hartman27 View Post
    I think this is probably the beginning of the end for the "Honey" movie set. With Captain EO taking over "Audience" at Disneyland, it's not surprising that Disney is preparing to get rid of all things "Honey" as it's out of date and not as recognizable to the general public like it once was.

I agree that Honey is not recognizable to most people and while I think that the 3D movie definitely needs to be replaced, I love the movie set playground (well, I might love it more if there was an extra bench or two to rest) and so do my children. Also, if they remove it without a replacement, there is no place else for children to run off some extra steam at DHS and that would be a real disappointment.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch for the info!!!!!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

MizMizzy,

What I think might happen is something along the lines of what is going on in Hong Kong Disney with their Toy Story backyard kids area where you are in Andy's backyard.

Most likely there won't be the extra rides like Hong Kong but this adaptation of the backyard (adding TS themed items) wouldn't take very long and the grass blades could even stay the same.

But who knows what they are really thinking. It's just a thought.
    People Can Buy a Coke but They Can't Pee in the Streets - Walt Disney (choosing between drinking fountains & bathrooms during a plumber's strike)

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely good news as all those things need some refurb!
    I agree with one of the previous posts, if they brought a monsters inc ride like the one in Cali that would be great and much appreciated!! But it is a short amount of time to do that in.
    I think a Toy Story park where the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground would be a great idea. We shall see!!!
    Hopefully it will be something good!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    It has been announced that the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure, Studio Catering Co. restaurant, and the Studio Backlot Tour will be closed for refurbishment February 15 through March 27, 2010.

With these three adjacent locations being closed for refurbishment at the same time, there is potential for the whole area to be walled off during this period or at least congested walk ways due to walls around the individual areas.

Speculation is running rampant that these refurbishments are tied to expanding the adjacent Pixar Place into this area. While this geographically makes sense, there are currently no internal reports or announcements that support such changes.

Further updates on how these refurbishments will affect Guest patterns through this area and the changes planned, will be made to this thread.
    Is there a link to the official announcement? I have a relative who works down at WDW and couldn't find anything about the HISTK playground on the official cast website.

- Thanks
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I think that a rehab of some sort would be great at the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure. When we were at DHS is September we noticed a lot of areas where spots were severely rundown or an accident waiting to happen. This is one of my kid’s favorite spots to go and just run off some extra energy. I hope that they do rehab this area. A toy story upgrade sounds kina cool if it happens.
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Sid's backyard? Wait, that might be a little traumatic...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Could there possibly be an update for Backlot? It really needs it.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

The playground could easliy be made a "Bug's Life" theme...In general I am guessing we are getting more Pixar theming which can't be a bad thing, right? I predict some refrence to Up somewhere too. Here's a thought, backlot tour could be themed to Wall-E and make it a Buy n Large narrated tour. You finish the tour meeting Wall-E in a Meet n Greet. I still think the Wall-E we saw at D23 Expo will show up somewhere. The shop could be named Buy n Large. The counter service could be where the Up theme comes, name: Paradise Falls.
    I wish Mr. Tom Morrow would hurry up and take his page!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought, backlot tour could be themed to Wall-E
    The backlot tour was closed for months last year. We were speculating away as to what could be going on with it, but it opened exactly the way it had been before the closure. I'm not expecting much upgrade in this area, at least not for this short six-week closure. It would be really cool if they did something through that whole area, right up from the BLT entrance to Pizza Planet in the future. . .
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the update. I am pleased to hear
    that this area will be updated. It really needs
    it.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have the original press release/announcement?
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are doing a sprucing up of the current area as well some infrastructure work to prepare for further change in the future. That area is slated to become part of Pixar Place in the future some elements are there and it really just needs some linking features to make it work.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: