Quantcast Nov 14-22 - Our kids were SO surprised!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nov 14-22 - Our kids were SO surprised!

Well, I don't know how long I'll get to write this as my DH is bathing our little one and my 12 year old is practicing his flute, but it's been almost a month since we left (3 weeks since we've been back) and I STILL hadn't checked in w/ my Intercot pals, so I thought I'd try and give you guys who are planning (or wishing and dreaming) the scoop on our AWESOME vacation.

Our family consists of myself (34), DH (43), DS (12) and DD (5). Our last trip to WDW was almost 3 years ago when DD was just 2 and DS was 9 turning 10. That time we were able to go on his birthday, so I thought it was really cool that THIS time it worked out where we were going to celebrate our DD's birthday (she turned 5 right after we returned).

We **LOVE** WDW (but hate hot/humid weather and crowds) so we generally go in early Nov or Dec OR in early Jan or Feb (excluding holidays). I've always thought early Dec. was the best time to go, but after this trip I think I'm going to change that to early/mid November. It was just PERFECT!!!!!!! It was SO uncrowded that we almost never had to wait long for rides. Yes, I strategically used Fastpasses and planned to go to parks that were supposed to be less crowded, and I do think that helped, but honestly until the Friday night and Saturday before Thanksgiving, it just WASN'T that crowded!!!!

The fun thing about THIS trip was that we kept it a surprise from the kids and didn't tell them until we were on our way to the airport. I gave them each a box to open that told them where we were going and they were SO shocked; I can't believe we were able to keep the secret!

We planned the trip with MJ's and were NOT disappointed; it was so care-free and easy. We had free dining (which was cheaper than using the pin code I had been sent in the mail for 40% off as our son (12) is considered an "adult", so it was 3 adults + 1 child as far as tickets and food went.

Although I'd love to try a fancier hotel in theory, we stayed at the POFQ again because the price is right and honestly, I CANNOT say enough nice things about the place. It's CLEAN, it's QUIET, it's SO PRETTY the staff is AWESOME - I can go on and on and on (if you want more accolades, please PM me - I adore the place!)

What was also nice (I sound like a commercial, don't I?!?!) is that the weather was perfect; cool in the mornings and warm-ish in the afternoons (but never HOT). It was clear and sunny almost everyday, too!

We flew into MCO via Southwest (direct flight from New Orleans) and got to our hotel via the free Disney transportation. We were able to go to our rooms, freshen up, and hit the parks by 4 pm (yay!)

I had booked us dinner at CRT as a special "first night" thing (we've never eaten there before). It was really fun to try once; the food was good, we saw (and took pics with) Cinderella, and we even saw the mice and the fairy Godmother. They sprinkled cute confetti on the table for my DD's B'day (fun!) All in all, however, I don't think I'd do it again as 2 credits per person is a lot to spend and I'd rather use them at 2 awesome restaurants instead of just one. (But it was fun to try once!)

(Cont'd in following post(s))

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a cool surprise for your kids! Congrats on being able to keep the secret!

Your beginning is very nice! Hope the rest of the vacation is as nice!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always in awe of those of you that can keep the vacation a secret and spring it upon your loved ones as a terrific surprise! I just cannot pull it off! Good job, and terrific report!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, here's part 2!! Back on that first night our DD was determined to ride a roller coaster (mostly because she has a big brother who'd been boasting for hours how he couldn't WAIT to ride some EXCITING rides). She's just at 44 inches, but I didn't think she'd like anything scary, so I was hesitant. She was SO determined, though, that I decided to let her try Big Thunder Mountain and figured that she'd get a little frightened and that'd be that.

Well, was *I* in for a surprise! She rode it and laughed out loud the WHOLE time we were on it. She LOVED it! She shreiked, "AGAIN! Mommy, AGAIN!" as soon as we got off. I was shocked (but kind of impressed), so off we went to ride it again (which took only 5 or 6 minutes - told'ja I loved this time of the year!)

Well, the kids decided they wanted to try Splash Mountain, so off we went to try that - and she loved it, too! (Frankly, we all did!) I had NOT thought that we would be able to ride things as a famly this trip, but boy was I wrong - this kid and her cool older brother rode EVERYTHING WDW had to offer (except for Space Mtn. which was closed for refurb - BUT - DH and DS got to ride it during a "soft opening" later in the week while DD and I were busy!)

Let's see - I think the next day was Epcot where we did the Princess Breakfast in Norway. I highly reccomend this one - we saw oodles of princesses including Ariel (Emily's favorite!) and Mulan and Belle (my favorites!) We did Test Track, Soarin' and Mission Space (yes, Em even did ORANGE team Mission Space - I swear, that kid scares me a little!!!)

In the next few days we had our best trip so far to WDW. We discovered that we really like Animal Kingdom a LOT; Expedition Everest was our favorite ride of all by unanimous vote and Yak and Yeti was my DS's and DH's FAVORITE restaurant (for me it was a tie between Le Cellier and Yak and Yeti). If you haven't eaten there, RUN, don't walk (it's close enough to EE to get fast passes and then have a nice meal). Oh, and if you haven't seen the Finding Nemo show, WOW. It was SO good and ALL of us loved it (even my somewhat cynical 12 year old who did NOT want to go at first.)

I took DD to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. She loved it and they even gave her a Birthday Princess sash to wear (how cool is that?!) It's very expensive IMO, but loads of fun if you've got a girly girl on your hands. I packed an adorable princess dress I got off of eBay for $5 and some sparkly ballet flats we got at Target. We got loads of compliments on her outfit and it was way cheaper than buying an outfit there!!

We went to Cirque du Soliel at Downtown Disney and ~*~*~*OMG*~*~*~*~. It's VERY expensive, but WOW!!!! I'm not going to say it's not a little strange, but I think my jaw was dropped the entire show. Really. (BTW, we got seats in section 206, row AA which is the 3rd class of seats out of 4 I think and frankly I felt like we had AWESOME seats and am glad that I didn't get the front and center ones; our view was OUTSTANDING!)

We also took the ferry from the hotel to DD, ate at Wolfgang Pucks Express (considered DDP counter service for those that don't know and WOWZA is it good!) We spent loads of time at the pool having fun, too.

Let's see - we also caught wishes twice near the castle and once on Big Thunder Mtn. railroad which was AMAZING; the fireworks were going on as we were on the ride and we just loved every second of it!

I guess I'll try to come back later with a 'what I'd do the same and what I'd do differently' post, but for now, I'm winded (hehe!)

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, wow, how great that you had such an awesome time! Thanks for reporting. I love hearing about it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys!

I really LOVE coming onto Intercot when I'm in that pre-trip-FRENZY and love reading posts that make me feel better about choices I've made or help me decide things about our trip; I wanted to do that hopefully for some other people. Not to mention, it's just plain FUN to read about someone having a great time at WDW; it reaffirms our faith in the fact that Disney is just about the happiest place on earth!

Our trip wasn't PERFECT; our DS is in that almost-a-teenager/kind-of-a-smartmouth phase and he and his sister can B-I-C-K-E-R sometimes (so much so that once or twice we contemplated leaving them on a ride and making a break for it!!!)

However, the light at the end of THAT proverbial tunnel is that DH said that he wants us to save up and go back - WITHOUT the kids - for our 10th anniversary (in 2 years). I should feel guilty, but I don't. Woo-hoo!!!! (I'm TERRIBLE, I know, but as much as I adore my kids, a kid-FREE trip to Disney sounds like LOADS of fun, too!)

Sigh.

DH and I like WDW so much we hope to work there one day when our kids are grown. Not year-round, but for a couple of months in the winter. That way we could reap the rewards of being a WDW employee, and enjoy working there, too. Oh, to dream!!!!

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, it sounds like you had a truly magical time. I can't believe you pulled off the surprise trip - me, I couldn't keep it a secret for that long even if you duct-taped my mouth closed!

Thanks for sharing the great details with us!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Real cool surprise! Tell us more!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, guys - if *I* can keep a surprise this big, ANYONE can!

My brother used to call me the MOUTH of the SOUTH (hehee!) and being ADHD, I've really had to learn to keep my big mouth shut and THINK before I speak (I'm better now than I was as a kid, thank goodness!)

Anyway, the carrot on the stick for us was having that big surprise and seeing their faces when we told them. THAT was worth waiting for! Of course my slightly sadistic hubby wanted to tell our slightly obnoxious 12 year old that we were going to Florida to check out military boarding schools - can you believe that? Yes, it's kind of funny, but it's also kind of SICK and MEAN!!! I put my foot down and told him NO WAY - we'd tell the kids in the car on the way to the airport. Since they thought we were going to visit Grandpa in NEw Orleans, they didn't question the luggage, etc. And, to top it off, we had a brand new copy of UP that they watched on the way to the airport (after the screaming and laughing died down!) We had pretty blissful quiet (except for the hilarious movie) almost the whole way there.

I wonder if ANY trip we take will ever live up to this one... it was completely AWESOME!!!!!

-Sarah

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: