Quantcast So Disappointed in Food - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBrad View Post
    I would suggest stay off property and eat at establishments like Mortons Steakhouse, or Julia's. Yes, you will spend about 175 a person per meal, but your reviews will be more positive. Maybe it is time to find a new vacation destination.
    Back to earth, please.

Is there ANYTHING in the OP that suggested she expected Morton's?

At least I'm glad this thread hasn't turned into another, DDP has destroyed WDW chorus.

My guess is kids drinks in glasses was a simple case of lots of tables and lots of hurry.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    At least I'm glad this thread hasn't turned into another, DDP has destroyed WDW chorus.
    Reading between the lines I think that's what's being said.

Some I don't understand, but it's pretty clear they were expecting a high level of customer service they have recieved in years past. It wasn't there.

This has been echoed for years along with the changes brought on by the DDP. Putting one and one together I get two...

I really wish people would see through the DDP charade and stop buying into it. Only then can we hope to get Disney Dining back on track. There's no argument that dining in Disney is a far cry from what it used to be. Maybe the reasons are still debatable... Maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Sorry

All i can say is we just returned from our 10 day trip and cannot say anything bad about our food or service. I can truly say from our arrival at Kidani Villas ours was a magical adventure. Oh yeah, and i did i say we had eight in our group and no arguing. Planning our next trip already and just got home. The O'Hana , i can't say enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi I am going to join the fray here...

It was hit & miss (our stay was early dec 2009).

Yes we were happy to be here. Some meals were better than others. Here is my take:

Coral Reef: slow service, indiffernt wait staff, appitizer for 2 was not bad, but portions were miniscule. the entree- grouper - was overcooked. the entire experience- thumbs down. Would not waste our time again.

The Land (counterservice area): crowded, but staff was OK. Asked lots of questions on dinning plan and they were quite helpful and quick. the food was good. Thumbs up

Tokyo dinning : good meal. the server disappeared for a while, but the manager came by noticed my empty cup, asked if the server was getting a refill, i explained I had not seen her- he apologized, got the drink and she showed up a few moments later. The food here was of a decent quality (had the combo tempora & sushi)- the tempora was very good, the sushi was decent (but I am spoiled with a fantastic place nearby). Thumbs UP

Sci-fy theatre : Slow service for a lunch. the DW commented on only 8 selections- I pointed out if they had any more how much slower the service would have been- as a note- not our server, who was quick to check on us, refill drinks, etc- seemed to be in the Kitchen. Due to SLOW service, decent food... Thumbs Down

Ashkerhous : Princess dinner. Quick service. The appitizer free for all was very good, but the meal I did not like (but that was me). Overall a thumbs up, but barely...

Crystal Palace : Character breakfast. Buffet food was OK. The omlet station was- a cut BELOW anything I have tasted. Thumbs down

Chef Mickeys : Character Dinner. Good service. Good buffet (nothing spectacular). Good waitstaff. Overall - Thumbs UP

2 not on the dinning plan:
    T rex- DTD- wow, very different atmosphere. food quality is around the same as the rainforest cafe. Thumbs Up
    Rainforest cafe (AK) - simple food at high prices. you pay for the atmosphere. overall, good staff, decent chain food (like applebees, Fridays or any other) - Thumbs up

Now I dont mean to imply that the food is bad around disney, but it never has been great. Lets face it a four star restaurant in NYC or paris is very different than what the top rated disney food can be.

So- in disney- the service can make up for some pedestrian food, but lack of service highlights what you eat, and truely the dinning experience is about 3 things- The food, the staff, and the atmosphere. with the atmopsphere getting the least attention (unless it is realy bad). Compitent waitstaff can make you feel good about paying a high price on an OK meal, and excellent food can make you overlook an indifferent waitstaff, but bad service can make you never want to eat somewhere again, and bad food will certainly ruin your night. disney has decent food most of the time. so much of it realy depends on the waitstaff. In disney, they can make or break a dinning experience.

Gueli

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we're easily impressed (!!!), but we LOVE eating at WDW and have enjoyed our DDP on the past 2 trips. (Yes, I know the argument is that it's awful, it's not a good deal, etc., but I disagree!)

We always throw in Wolfgang Puck's Express (this past trip we ate there twice!) STELLAR food AND only a *COUNTER SERVICE CREDIT* I always feel like I'm getting away with something when we eat there. The food is SO good and both times we would have spent around $75 before the tip had we not used counter service credits.

LeCellier gets such mixed reviews I didn't know what to expect, but my filet minon with mushroom risotto was so good I almost picked up the plate and licked it (ALMOST!!)

Princess Breakfst = awesome! We saw all the princesses we wanted to (Ariel isn't always there but she was, which made DD's day!) I highly reccomend the little raspberry muffins; I ate about 4 of them...MMmMMmM!

1900 Park Fare - fun and tasty dinner (and a show!) Busy, yes, but good food and a good time, too!

Yak and Yeti - so good we ate there twice. My son got a Kobe beef hamburger. It's not on the menu, but our server told us about it. The thing was so heavenly - OMG. Not that my steak and shrimp were bad, heavens no! But that burger - I'm still dreaming about that burger!!!!!! And dessert were fried cream cheese wontons with grilled pineapple. YUMM-O!

All in all if we hadn't walked about 8 miles a day (!!) we would have gained about 300 lbs each on the trip - we LOVE WDW food. Not all of it, mind you, but if you pick and choose some great restaurants and are lucky enough to get good servers, too, then it's DE-VINE (pun kind of intended!!)

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to add that on past trips we have eaten at (and enjoyed)

O'hana's character breakfast. REALLY good food (and juice!) and you get Micky, Pluto, Lilo, and Stitch. SOoOoO much fun!

Cape May breakfast. Beach theme with Donald, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and we also had Chip and Dale, too. GREAT buffet (but similiar to all the other breakfast buffets) and beautiful atmosphere.

The restaurant in Germany in Epcot (something haus... It's on the TIP of my tongue, but I can't remember!) Anyway, it was fun. Loud, too, but lots of fun. Good food, not just sausage and beer (though the sausage was REALLY terrific!)

Whispering Canyon (though we liked it MORE the last time we ate there, but it was still good this past trip in 11/09.) Lots of food; good, rich, home-style cookin' in yet another AMAZING Disney hotel.

Boma in AKL. Personally I don't need to go back, but if we had family or friends with us that hadn't been, I think I'd take them. It's definately different with LOTS of interesting food. It's a really cool place to look around before you eat (outside and in the hotel), while you eat (the place itself) and after (whatever you missed before you ate!) Neat-o.

I think that's it; we also loved the Concourse Steakhouse, but it doesn't exist anymore, so does it matter?! It was great, too. I swear, I'm so happy to be in WDW you'd think that if they fed me gruel I'd eat it and smile, but honestly we really DO love eating there and SO look forward to our table service meals; there's just hardly been any "misses" when we've tried new things!

-Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say what would make most people happy. Some folks want a big dinner as fast as possible so they can get to the next show or ride. Others like to sit down and take it easy. If you like to hurry, then don't get the DDP. Skip the Table Service places, and you'll never get bogged down.

Now, I'm really suprised at your complaints of the Pepper Market. Especially since you're on the DDP. It counts as only a CS credit, but you can get ribeye steaks or some other large portion of food. The service can be slow, but it's kindof a self serve place, other than drinks. I thought it was great considering the cost of a CS.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I agree and disagree

I have to say that I agree that Disney food is not as good as it used to be. I do think the Dining Plan is still a good deal if you plan on doing buffets (EXPENSIVE) and more highly priced menu items. I don't think that the service is the same either. I have been going to Disney every year since about 2001, but before that I lived in Orlando and went all the time. The service and the food HAS changed. You can still have wonderful food and excellent service, but it is not the Disney I fell in love with. I do think that Disney still has magic, but wow is the service different. I have had increasing encounters with rude CMs and rude park visitors. People just don't act as "happy" to be there as they used to. It makes me sad because I LOVE Disney .
    Toasha
    Magic Happens Every Day!

Lelandmm Guest

I just got back on 12/12.
    I was not impressed with the food either.

We only did lunch and snacks in the park since we were staying at a time share with a full kitchen.

The only thing consistently good in each park, was the turkey legs.

The sandwiches we frequently cold, or hard.

The best lunch we had was actually at McDonalds!

Post Thanks / Like

We went in June and ate at:

El Pirate- good for fast food tacos- had TONS of cheese (which I like)

Les Chefs- Fantastic- fantastic steak and fish- Seeing Illuminations through our window while eating a big plus.

Tony's- Pretty good- I'd give it a strong average. Probably the least impressive of teh table service places.

Coral Reef- Good- Very good food, average waiter.

Brown Derby- Fantastic- Probably the best meal we had. Food and wait staff out of this world.

Sci-Fi- Pretty Darn Good- We had shakes and spinach dip. Easily the best spinach dip I've ever had. Movies were fun.

Yak & Yetti- Fantastic- Great food and wait-staff.

Yorkshire Fish- Good- Solid effort on counter service fish and chips.

Cantina de San Angel- Good. Just had nachos, but they were tasty

Norway counter service place that I can't remember the name of- Fantastic- easily the best counter service we had- large portions, fantastic staff, great food.

So, overall, we couldn't have been happier. Of course this was in peak season, so maybe the quality suffers in off-peak? (it's hard to imagine it being THAT different, though). Sometimes I think people are going to a different WDW than I am...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

over the years we have found our favs, and one's we avoid. they are all not equal even if owned by Disney they are all run invidvidually, and there's always going to be poor service out of the 1,000's of cast members that attend to you. you just make the best of the experience that you are at and enjoy the best.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I eat at WDW restaurants fairly regularly and much more often than not we are happy. One exception, going back to the OP is The Pepper Market. With the exception of breakfast as the OP said, I have never had a meal at PM that was any good. Three strikes and you are out. If the rumor is true about it becoming a buffet restaurant, I'll try it again, otherwise no go.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it we cannot voice our opinions on here without some back lash. The food was sub par no matter where we were We went Dec 7-16 and really I think our counter service food had more flavor. Teppon Edo was probably our best meal all 10 days. This is our third year and honestly the flavor was wonderful the first year in 2007, 2008 dropped about a third in flavor and this year. You had to ask for salt and pepper and some places my husband had to get something else after we left that restaurant. Very small servings for men. he is 6'2 and only about 200# so he is not a huge man. Breakfast is the best value on all the properties. It cost too much but at least you can get full and they cannot mess up breakfast items. And NO eating off property is not an option and should not have to be. It should be good consistantly all the time wait staff and all. Not coming back because you think she is bummed about it is not a very good response. Paying over 12.00 for a lunch and 30 for a dinner while on vacation is just too high. if they would lower those prices we would all have more to spend on other items. We noticed that in all the shops this year the cash register would hardly have anyone at it. They did not run sales this year like last Dec same time. Disney has to make some changes and soon. I see more and more on here everyday giving it a rest and who knows how long they stay away. it will start hurting so now is the time for park and food improvement not free days and food.to get us there.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

We had the same experience in September. We went Sept 08 and loved all of the food and Feb 08 and dining plan was the way to go. We really wrote home about it. This year we went for two weeks in September so we tried a substantial amount of restaurants and most of the food was downright nasty. We were so disappointed and even ditched a few table services and rebooked the ones we were happy with because we were so sick of having to pay a tip for horrible food and mediocre services. Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, Grand Floridan Cafe, and Teppan Edo were the only restaurants that held up to my expectations and let's get real here folks, Disney can offer great food. They always have in the past so why change it now. Let's call it what it is; economy is low, they are giving away a lot of free dining, and when it's given away things get dumbed down to save money. I hope this does not continue. We returned a lot, in december, to same counter services over and over to avoid being disappointed. This shouldn't have to be.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=lighteningqueen;1995421]Why is it we cannot voice our opinions on here without some back lash...quote]

I don't think there is any backlash going on here. There are often a lot of different opinions in this forum and I like that a lot.

I think opinions in either extreme are "unfortunate". If a posted writes, "I ordered steak and got fish... and it took forever... and was cold..." Some people respond, "I'm sorry your vacation was ruined." (Ruined??) while others reply, "Just close your eyes and keep beweeving in the Magic"

We enjoy the restaurants at WDW but it's still a business transaction. If something needs to be fixed we try to "talk to the lead" right then and it is usually fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    We enjoy the restaurants at WDW but it's still a business transaction. If something needs to be fixed we try to "talk to the lead" right then and it is usually fixed.
    I agree completely. This is not pointed at the OP... What drive me nuts is someone who gets something wrong, and never speaks up during dinner, but complains about it afterward. You are paying for the meal, you are buying it. Would you not speak up if you were given the wrong thing at a store? Same thing.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take a martini in a cup with a lid- and a rooftop view...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: