Quantcast 12/20-12/27 - 4WAGS - Turning Sadness into JOY - pretrip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile 12/20-12/27 - 4WAGS - Turning Sadness into JOY - pretrip

4WAGS - Turning Sadness into JOY

Cast:
    Randy (Me) 45 DH - Wheelchair user
    Chris 39 DW
    Alex 11 DS
    Reagan 5 DD

Four pale New Englanders trying to escape winter and bad memories into the magical world of Disney at Christmas.

Background:

We are all Christmas nuts and Disney junkies (imagine!). We made our first trip in 2006 via Amtrak and stayed with friends at an off-site rental house.

A year ago this month (12/10/08) my mom passed away after a long struggle with a physical disability and years of kidney failure and dialysis. Two months later in February of 2009 my dad passed away VERY unexpectedly. They had been married for 47 years and I think he died of a broken heart (corny but true). Needless to say Christmas and winter in general was a sad time for our family last year. Sooo for the last year we have been dealing with two estates (think SMALL) in probate and the cleanout and sale of my parent’s house and all of their possessions.

Chris (DW) and I decided to take the small life insurance check that we received and use it to build some happy Christmas memories so we contacted Wendy at Magical Journeys and booked a Disney Christmas vacation. We will be at WDW December 20 – 27, 2009 – Staying at the BLT (WC Accessible - Bay View - 1 BR) and on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Now we know that this is probably one of the busiest weeks of the Disney year but as magical as WDW is normally we can’t imagine how magical it must be on Christmas.

We’ve packed a box with a tabletop tree and some decorations for the room, reserved a scooter for me (Buena Vista Scooters), a stroller for DD (Orlando Stroller Rental) and scheduled “Kids Night Out” to watch the kids while DW and I have dinner one night for our 20th Anniversay.

Speaking of dinner, I called for ADR’s at the 90 day mark and we got EVERYTHING that we wanted. We are taking full advantage of the DDP but tried to space our ADRs out so it doesn’t feel like we’re running from meal to meal. We got the Princess Breakfast in Epcot, Hoop Dee Doo, dinner at the GF with Cinderella and even LeCellier for Chris and I. DD will be visiting the BBB and DS will be joining the Pirate’s League on one of our MK days. We’ll be doing the Candlelight Procession dinner package on Christmas Eve and having Dinner on Christmas day at the Wilderness Lodge. It should be a truly magical vacation if everything goes as planned. (But we ALL know how likely THAT is right? LOL)

Because of the unpredictable New England weather we are driving to Boston and staying over on the night before our flight. There is an IMAX 3D theater across the street so we’re going to see Disney’s “A Christmas Carol” after dinner to get everyone in the Disney AND Christmas mood. The hotel has a “stay and park” deal so we can leave our car in their parking garage during our trip. **We will be arriving back in Boston late on our return and don’t want to risk having to drive 2 hours in a storm in the dark so we’re also staying over on the night we get home.

*UPDATE: 12/04/09 – called and confirmed all of our ADRs, just in case. They also asked about celebrations so we added DS’s & DD’s birthdays and DW and my 20th wedding anniversary dinner.

Our Magical Express documents arrived a few weeks ago and I took great care in “putting them somewhere safe”….in English that translates to “we will never find this envelope again”. AAUUGGHHH !!!! When our Disney Travel documents arrived yesterday I went to where I thought the ME tags were…nope…so I went to my strong box….nope….the safe….nope…GREAT !!! LOL

I got on the phone and called Magical Express to admit my stupidity and luckily it was not the first time that someone had called with a similar situation. Our new packet should be here in the next week and I am leaving it in plain sight this time. LOL

We plan to update our TR as we count down and as I unwind in the room each night. Thanks for listening !
    Me - Randy - 46 (Wheelchair User & ADA Expert) DW - Chris - 40 DS - Alex - 12 DD - Reagan - 6

DVC Members since 12/31/09 !!! (BLT)
    October 2006 - Offsite --Dec 2009 - Xmas - BLT -- Oct 2010 BLT

Disability is the only minority that anyone can join at anytime....Access is good for Everyone !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have a GREAT trip, you most certainly deserve it. Sounds like you're all set, and I can't wait to hear about the trips itself.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Being a fellow New Englander... that is a smart move to go to Logan the night before.. enjoy the movie! I'm sorry for your losses and hope that you have a happy magical holiday
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    offsite- - Disneyland 2013
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988
    off site 1983, 1980, 1978, 1971

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

Randy, it sounds like your family is in need of some Disney holiday magic. Hopefully with the memories you make on this trip, Christmas will truly become a happy holiday for you again. You've got some great plans set - enjoy the time and your family at Disney. Be sure to let us know all about the magic upon your return!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your losses. My FIL died two months ago today from a long battle with cancer. It's a very hard thing to go through --- losing a parent. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your losses. You have a great trip planned so you should have a great time. I was there at Christmas time 11 years ago with our high school band....it was my first trip there and it was definitely crowded but it was also truly magical. It was on that trip that I fell completely in love with Disneyworld. I know you will have fun.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful trip! And,it sounds like you guys really deserve it. Hope you make some really magical memories this Christmas.
    As a side note, my 7 and 10 year olds found The Christmas Carol to be a bit frightening. I don't want to scare you off of your plans, but thought you might want a heads up, at least to prepare your 5 year old.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your loss. We went through a similar thing in 2007. We lost my wonderful Mother -in-law in March of that year. We decided to go to WDW that christmas to take our minds off the fact that it would have been our 1st Christmas without her. We found ourselves saying "Grammie would have loved this!", alot. I believe she was there with us. It made getting through the holidays easier for us.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

What a sweet pre-trip report! I loved it.
    From my heart I wish you a joyful holiday in WDW. May this be a start to new happy memories of the holidays! Peace and Magic to your family!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I hope you guys have a truely Magical Christmas!! Have fun. The crowds are insane though!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have a magical trip!

I understand what it is like to lose your parents one after the other like that! In October of 2008, my father passed, quite unexpectedly. Less than two months later, in December of 2008, we lost my mother. She had been ill for quite some time so we had expected a loss but still had thought it might be a year or two before that loss would be a reality.

I'm sorry for your sorrows and hope the new year will bring much happiness to your and your family!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

So sorry for your loss. This trip appears to be the right ticket for some happy family memories.
    Have a safe trip and a wonderful vacation!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip making new memories!!
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: