Quantcast AKL Standard room vs Savannah view

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default AKL Standard room vs Savannah view

I was thinking about splurging for a DELUXE room with my Annual pass rate for my GF's Birthday coming up Nov. 13.
    Is the $79 upgrade to the Savannah room worth it?
    How are the other viewing areas?
    We'll probably spend most the time in the parks anyways?
    Just looking for other's opinions, thanks in advance

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that stayed in a standard room that ended up having a savannah view. She wanted to upgrade but the price wasn't right and they told her that there were some standard rooms with the view. Not sure how you would go about getting one of these other than asking at the desk though. Maybe someone else could offer some advice.
    Kimberly
    Several times since 1989 as a kid
    March 2009 - Coronado Springs (Husband's first trip)
    June 2009 - Beach Club
    June 2012 - All Star Music/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    June 2015 - ???

Post Thanks / Like

"worth it" is a relative thing...however having said that, while we don't typically see the point of paying big bucks for views at other resorts, to us the AKL is most definitely one that is worth it... especially if you plan on spending any time at the resort itself or using your room for anything other than sleeping quarters. To me there is nothing like sipping a cool beverage of your choosing on your balcony while watching the animals late at night or doing the same thing with a cup of hot coffee in the mornings.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

It's all personal preference and a large part of it really depends on how much time you spend at the resort. But if you are going to spend the money to stay at a deluxe resort, specifically AKL then I think it is worth it to have a Savannah room. I personally love AKL!

I think that if you are going to pay the deluxe resort price to stay at AKL then I think that to get the most out of what you are paying you should pay the extra for a Savannah room. The animal view, experience, etc. of AKL makes it what it is.

Having said that though if the only way that you can stay at AKL is with a standard room, then that is fine. You can experience the resort in many other ways.

I don't know about the standard rooms with a savannah view, but I know I sure wouldn't want a parking lot view. You can look at a parking lot at any hotel/resort for less money.
    June, 1990 - MK, Epcot -Off Site Hotel - Sang on stage & Marched in parade at MK
    Feb. '05 - DL, DCA - Off Site Hotel
    Feb. '07 - All Parks, DT - AKL
    May '08 - All Parks, DT - AKL & POP - 4 day Disney Cruise
    Jan. '13 DL, DCA, DT -Off Site Hotel
    Nov. '13 All Parks, DT - POP & Swan

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there in Feb without the Savannah view. There are alot of places around the resort to view the animals and it was awesome. I would stay there again in a regular room in a second.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally love Animal Kingdom Lodge and have only stayed in savannah view rooms there. Being able to watch the animals just outside our sliding doors whenever we were in the room--well, let's just say that it was so captivating that we hardly ever turned the TV on. If you do splurge for a savannah room, do try to spend a little time in it, whether in the morning or evening so that you get what you pay for. The parks will always be there, but that kind of view may not.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I love AKL. I would choose to stay there in a standard room over a moderate any day, but I definately think this is one place where the upgraded view is worth it.

The first time we stayed I booked a standard room, we asked at check-in about the price to upgrade to a savannah view and we were given a free upgrade. I don't know if it matters, but there was no one else at check-in when we got there and DD6 made doe-eyes at the CM when I asked!
    She then proceeded to jump up and down and scream like she was on The Price is Right.

I am sure you will enjoy your AKL visit whichever room type you choose.
    1987 Disneyland
    2000 Coronado Springs
    2002 Carribbean Beach (Honeymoon)
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2006 Animal Kingdon Lodge
    Universal Portofino Bay

coming up
    November 9th-18th Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in a Savannah view room. It was quite refreshing to come back to the room. The kids loved sitting on the balcony relaxing after a day in the park to watch the animals. Totally a preference call, but we really enjoyed it.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We just got back from staying at AKL, and I would definitely recommend a Savannah view room! We'd paid for a pool view, but got a surprise upgrade to a Savannah view, and it was awesome. We were on the Zebra Trail, overlooking the Arusha Savannah, and had zebras and kudus, a bongo, pelicans and cranes outside our porch every day. Giraffes, too, but they tend to stay more towards the back of the savannah and only came up close a few times. But we LOVED it... sipping your coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine before bed while watching whoever's out there is amazing.

If this is a one-time splurge for you guys, esp. for a birthday, I say go for it!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at AKL twice now and both times we've been upgraded -- the first time DH had just gotten back from deployment and we had the military rate (not sure if they know this or not); last December we had a bunch of kids with us (again, not sure that matters either).

Both times I have booked standard rooms and been pleasantly surprised to receive an upgrade! I think if you want to be able to see the animals on your balcony then you might want to book that view b/c an upgrade is never guaranteed -- you can ask to pay for one at checkin, but it might not be available (which it seems they always have these rooms available uniless it is super busy).

As a few others have said, it's personal preference, but I will say it IS rather nice to just open the curtain and have the ability to watch the animals.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

My Vote : YES, totally worth it. It is very nice to see the animals from common areas (and there are plenty of oportunities to do so) but to us, seeing them in common areas didn't feel much different than spending a day in Animal Kingdom itself. It truly becomes a personal experience, and AK LODGE (and not just AK park) experience, when you're sitting out on your balcony, in your PJ's drinking your coffee, watching a Giraff walk by. That's when you realize the VERY special-ness of the resort.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: