Quantcast Greatest Sporting Event?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greatest Sporting Event?

I was just wondering what was your most memorable sporting event that you saw live and in person.

I am a die hard Phillies fan. Been to every Opening Day since 1991. I go to about 20 games a year and usually at least 1 road game every year. Last year, I went to 5 of the 7 playoff games at Citizens Bank.

I was at the Bank this week for the NLCS clincher. I won the lottery for tickets and my tickets just so happened to be game 5. There are 6 of us who have a season plan and we were all there that night but scattered all over the place.

We got down there around 4 for tailgating and got to our seats for the 1st pitch. Werth homers followed by Feliz's homer....and you start to think the Black Eye Peas are right....its going to be a very good night.

We decided that we would meet at the 8th behind section 108 so that we could see the last inning together. With one out, I look at my brother and say "I'm coming for you." He nods and smiles.

Lidge throws and Victorino catches the final out.The place erupts and I turn to take out my brother but he isnt there. At this point, my friends are all trying to jump on me but I am still looking for my brother. I turn around and he is standing about 10 feet away with a Jokerish smile and we are hugging, jumping up and down. We have our own little pile on.

We hang out in the stadium for the ceremony. Then we go back into the parking lot, spray the champagne, dump beer on each other. The cops had to ask us to leave.

Just the atmosphere that night was the greatest.

It was without a doubt the greatest sporting night of my life.

What was yours?
    [/COLOR]1993 Caribbean Beach SENIOR WEEK
    1998 1 Day Visit Magic Kingdom and MGM
    2002 Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2006 Port Orleans French Quarters
    2007 POP Century
    2011 POP Century for 9 days

2013 Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Does it have to be something you saw in person?

If so, that would without a doubt be Game 6 of the 2004 Stanley Cup Conference Finals ... Tampa Bay Lightning vs. the Flyers. It's an elimination game. Flyers are down 3-2 in the series.

With less than two minutes to go, they're trailing by a goal. It looks like they're cooked. All of a sudden, Keith Primeau makes an amazing play up the right side, dekes around two defenders, crosses in front of the net, and nets one to tie it up. The place goes nuts! People are hugging, jumping all over the place, screaming, yelling ... I'm pretty sure some random dude even kissed me.

They head into OT and Gagne eventually scores the GWG to force a Game 7. The Center went berzerk!! I thought I was going to get smooshed. Like five fat Italian guys jumped on me and we were all hugging and high fiving and going nuts. Incredible ... no doubt the best game I've ever seen live in any sport.

Too bad they lost Game 7, but hey ... I wasn't there for that one.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a lot of sporting events, but none would be considered "great" games. One that comes to mind was at Ben Hill Griffin stadium in 1985 when the Gators held Bo Jackson to a "handful" of yards and best Auburn. Also, in 1980, Dusty Rhodes defending his NWA title against Terry Funk in the West Palm auditorium. Brutal match, with Terry Funk pile driving Big Dust outside the ring. Dusty held on after three bionic elbows to the bloodied Funk's forehead!!
    Last edited by BluewaterBrad; 10-23-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added words

Post Thanks / Like

Best sporting event I've seen live and in person? Nothing too exciting, but I did attend the Arizona Diamondbacks' 2nd ever game, even got a ball used in warm ups from the Diamondbacks catcher . On a personal note, being on a state championship team for floor hockey in high school. Didn't play in the state championship game, but it was still pretty awesome. Best game I played in? Coming back from a 4-0 deficit in a state tournament game midway through the 2nd period to win 5-4.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

The Dan Marino "fake spike" pass against the Jets.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was the night Pete Rose broke the all time National League hits record in August of 1981.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say Baltimore Colts vs New England Patriots, the final game of the 1975 season. I was 10 and my fathers freind knew the Baltimore kicker, Toni Linhart (who led the leauge in scoring twice) and got tickets from him. The game was win and the Colts are in the playoffs, lose and their out. New England wasn't very good that year but It was a great game and fairly close until the end when the Colts won by more than a touchdown. The fans stormed the field. I vividly remember two fans trying to walk a bench from the field back up through the stands. Afterwards we went right outside the locker room door and talked with Toni for a half hour. We met a couple other players but I don't remember who, I know it wasn't Bert Jones.

I was also at Game 2 of the 2000 World Series, the game Clemens threw the bat at Piazza. Second row right behind first base. That was bizzare.

And Jerry just reminded me I was at Shea stadium when Pete Rose broke Wee Willie Keelers consecutive NL hitting streak record.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I would have to say Baltimore Colts vs New England Patriots, the final game of the 1975 season. I was 10 and my fathers freind knew the Baltimore kicker, Toni Linhart (who led the leauge in scoring twice) and got tickets from him. The game was win and the Colts are in the playoffs, lose and their out. New England wasn't very good that year but It was a great game and fairly close until the end when the Colts won by more than a touchdown. The fans stormed the field. I vividly remember two fans trying to walk a bench from the field back up through the stands. Afterwards we went right outside the locker room door and talked with Toni for a half hour. We met a couple other players but I don't remember who, I know it wasn't Bert Jones.

I was also at Game 2 of the 2000 World Series, the game Clemens threw the bat at Piazza. Second row right behind first base. That was bizzare.

And Jerry just reminded me I was at Shea stadium when Pete Rose broke Wee Willie Keelers consecutive NL hitting streak record.
    First NFL jersey I ever owned was a Bert Jones #7 Colts jersey right out of the Sears catalog..I remember the classic Christmas Eve 1977 playoff game with the Raiders.

I also remember a 2 man plane crashing into Memorial Stadium after a game, though exactly when I can't pinpoint.

The Colts were my team, until they literally ran off into the night.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

Well being from England mine is soccer related.

Wembley Stadium 18th June 1996. European Championship final group game. England v Holland.

It was one of England's most spectacular performances overcoming the very good Dutch team 4-1.

Nobody predicted a result like this. England did just about everything right. Even letting a goal in wasn't such a bad thing because that Dutch goal made sure that the Scots didn't qualify for the quarter finals.

I remember when the fourth goal went in everyone was just in total disbelief. We were all jumping up and down and hugging anyone in sight. When I went to sit back down I was ten rows up from were my seat was.

It was a good tournament but alas we were beaten in the semi final by the Germans on penalties.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, seeing the U.S. Women's Soccer team win the 1999 Women's World Cup. What a game! Mia and Co. were not going to be denied that day! And for Chastain to win it in the penalty shootout when she had to kick the penalty using her weaker foot against one of the best goalkeepers in the world! I don't think I have held my breath for that long ever! What an introduction to women's soccer for America!

Plus, I got to celebrate the next day also! I just happened to be going to Disneyland with my girlfriend the next day, and the team had a parade and celebrated their win in front of the castle!! It was a great experience!!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

September 2001, I get up really early, around 3 AM and drive to San Francisco, a little over 100 miles away. I'm planning on standing on Fillmore Street, near Broadway. I find a parking place a few blocks away, and hit Fillmore about 5 AM. There's already a crowd gathering, but I get right on the barricades about 15 feet down from Broadway.

What would prompt such bizarre actions? The San Francisco Grand Prix. And for you racecar enthusiasts, forget about it. This is the first year of the SF Grand Prix bicycle race, with headliners US Postal Team attending, including such notables as Lance Armstrong and the eventual winner, George Hincapie. They'll do 10 laps past this spot.

Why this spot? Fillmore is the sight of one of the two monster hills the cyclists will have to climb. The news says that the grade is about 18%, but it seems steeper to me than that. I've done a grade of almost 17%, and it seems tougher. The hill is so steep that they don't have flat sidewalks, they have steps cut into them.

So the race begins and eventually you see the cyclists turn onto Fillmore down the hill about 5 or so blocks. The way the cross streets are on Fillmore are that they are pretty level, only the portion between cross streets is steep. This gives the sprinters a chance to circle on the flat section to catch their breath before the next climbing section.

The guys come crawling past me and I recognize many of the Posties and get a couple of nice shots....but where the heck is Lance. Suddenly, I see a Postal jersey right next to the barricade. There he is, but I'm too late, I can't get the shot. I could have reached out and touched him.

He's well back in the pack, but after a few laps, there's a breakaway and he's in the front group as he comes by showing everyone why he is the premier cyclist in the world.

I hang around for all ten laps, (Lance quit after lap 7 if I remember correctly), but Georgie is in the leading group. I bail out of SF, so I don't get to see the finish.

But can you say WOW! To be in the middle of the action was extremely exciting.

And when I get home, after a number of days, all of the photographers of the event post their pictures on the web...and there I am in quite a number of them.

I never made it back for any of the others, but I'm going to try to catch the Tour of California next year.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

I have attended...

The First Titans and Predators games.

The Titans playoff win over the Steelers in the "roughing the kicker game"

I was there in 86 when Vanderbilt knocked off North Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Indiana in basketball.

But my favorite live events have been wrestling oriented.
    Wrestlemania 8 Hogan vs Sid Justice,
    Wrestle War 89 Flair vs Steamboat, and I was at the last Bill Dundee vs. Jerry Lawler loser leaves town match from the old days of territorial wrestling.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    But my favorite live events have been wrestling oriented.
    Wrestlemania 8 Hogan vs Sid Justice,
    Wrestle War 89 Flair vs Steamboat, and I was at the last Bill Dundee vs. Jerry Lawler loser leaves town match from the old days of territorial wrestling.
    I thought this thread was about sports?

Uh oh...can o' worms?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I watched this World Series game once with the most amazing performance by the starting pitcher ... A 0.0 ERA, 10 strikeouts, and no walks!!!

Oh wait ... that was last night ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I watched this World Series game once with the most amazing performance by the starting pitcher ... A 0.0 ERA, 10 strikeouts, and no walks!!!

Oh wait ... that was last night ...
    LIVE and in person is what the thread is about. You were there?

Post Thanks / Like

I can not pick just one. So here are the ones I can come up with:

1) In the mid to late 80's I was a huge Cleveland Force fan (soccer). I was at a playoff game where they easily sold out 18,000 seats. Anyway it was a game against the Dallas Sidekicks and one of the leagues stars, Tatu, scored in sudden death overtime with a bicycle kick to win it. Despite our team losing, that is the single greatest act of athletism I have ever witnessed live.

2) I was at the last NFL football playoff game played in Cleveland to date. It was New Year's Day 1995. The Browns beat the New England Patriots.

3) I was at Lebron James first career playoff game (at which he scored a triple double).

4) Growing up, my dad loved Dr. J and the 76ers. I saw him play in Cleveland and saw Charles Barkley up close his rookie year. I also saw the 80's LA Lakers dynasty play (Not that I remember much)

5) I sat 3 rows from the glass by the net where every goal was scored when the Penguins eliminated the Rangers in the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

6) Earlier this month I saw the Penguins raise the banner and the Stanley Cup, Art Ross, Conn Smythe, and Prince of Wales trophies all in the building.

7) I worked on the grounds crew for Firestone Country Club. I saw my first NEC World Series of Golf the year I started working there in 1996. To have a part in taking care of a course that the world's greatest golfers played on would probably be my greatest sporting event.

Looking back, I realize how lucky I am to be present for all this. I have been to a lot of Indians games too but really can't think of one game that sticks out.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

First World Series Game at Yankee Stadium in 2001 the emotion in that ball park was just overwhelming

2003 Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals! The countdown to the cup can still hear it in my head 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 and then just an explosion of pure joy and elation! I was 8 rows from the ice and I swear I jumped so high I high fived someone in the upper deck!

Most recently March 17 2009 Broduer breaking Roy's win record and Elias breaking the team all-time scoring record on the same night!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was at World Series Game 5 (parts 1 and 2) last year when the Phillies won it all. It was so incredible to be there. I have never been a sporting arena which had so much joy and positive energy in it.

I have tickets for Game 5 again, on Monday night. Never thought I would get to see 2 World Series in a row...
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Professional Sports:

The Milw Brewers Easter Sunday scored, I believe, four runs in the bottom of the 9th to win...They played "Taking Care of business" after the game, and I still get chills when I hear that song.

Amateur:

The 8th grade girls hoops team I coached this past summer came from 15 points behind in the second half to ultimately lose by 2 in ot to a club team that took 3rd in the nation in AAU. We were the last game on four courts playing, and nobody left the gym. This team was winning by 30+ per game, and you would have thought our girls had one by the reaction of everybody.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to a lot of fun sporting events. To pick the greatest ever is tough. I was at the game this year when Jayson Werth stole home, that was pretty cool. I was at Game 5 of the NLCS this year when the Phillies clinched which was exciting and awesome. However, I'd have to say the three that stick out the most in my mind are related more to crowd interactions rather than a single feat on the field.

Two are Phillies. I was at the second to last game of the season in 2007. If you recall they clinched on the very last day. Everybody was scoreboard watching and cheering as the Mets were losing, in addition to the Phils winning on the field! The buzz in the stadium was electric. The city was starved for a winner and here the Phils were, finally poised to get back into the postseason for the first time in like 14 years. Now of course they got swept in the first round but that moment in time was great. Fast forward to 2008, game 1 of the NLCS. My first ever Phillies playoff game. I was probably smiling from ear to ear all day. It was just fantastic. We had a great section and everyone was so into the game, one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of. People hugging and high fiving everybody, chanting all the way to the parking lot... I was at 4 playoff games this year, and while it was still exciting, I think winning the whole thing last year maybe took a bit of the edge off as the crowds have not been quite the same.

Third one would be the 2000 Flyers. I was at the game in the Meadowlands when we went up 3-1 to the Devils. Being a 14 years old on a road trip with my big bro and dad was great, come to find we ended up in a section with a lot of Flyers fans. It was a great game and the fan camaraderie was again fantastic. That was a big year for car flags and everyone would beep and cheer if you saw another Flyers fan on the road, and the rest stops were like mini pep rallies! We went on to collapse and lose that series but that moment in time was very memorable for me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: