Quantcast How do you avoid being rushed??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How do you avoid being rushed??

I have read several reports of diners being rushed at the Table Service restuarants...particularly at O'hana.
    We have ADR's for O'hana, as well as several other TS and would like some suggestions on how to avoid this problem.
    Preferably ones that will not make our server spit in our food
    What has worked for you or what do you think might help alleviate this all-too often problem?
    Thanks,
    Magical Disney Memories, '79, '83, 95,96,97,98,2/2000, 9/2000, 11/2001, 11/2002, 4/2003, 11/2003, 11/05, 2/07, 2/08 -world's greatest family reunion! 1/11-18/2010 15th wedding anniversary!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're usually just really nice about it right from the start. We'll just say when we're ordering (or before if they're after us to order fast) something like, "we've had a busy day and we're really looking forward to a nice, relaxing meal." It's usually said in a way so as to imply we're taking it easy on the server, like we're giving them a break in not expecting them to knock themselves out to get to us quickly. It usually works, but not always. I'm not suggesting people drink, but it usually seems to work even better if we start with a glass of wine. Maybe the servers realize we'll be bigger tippers and don't mind letting us take our time then, I don't know.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Ohana's was the worst last year. We never got refills and they brought the same little dishes as they do for 2 and we were party of 5. The meat was all bloody and raw and I will not eat raw pork beef or turkey no matter... only ate salad for 30.00 meal for me. Then she did not want to bring another bowl when we only had the one small one for us all in the get go. I think they really have gone down in service. She would not even talk to us. We were so ready and nice to her to have a great first meal there last Dec. But never again. Just not worth the trouble or the food.I say in the get go tell them you will or would like to unwind before getting your meats. maybe just bring out the salad first then all the other stuff at stages. Maybe she will get the hint
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Good suggestions!

I am not a very subtle person by nature- as you could probably tell from my original post.
    However, I WANT to be. I do believe the old adage "you attack more bees with honey than with vinegar".
    Your suggestion of making it sound like you want to be 'easy' on the CM sounds good.
    I didn't want to come off like a grouch, but would like to just have a nice, relaxing, enjoyable meal!
    Especially at the prices you pay at Disney- I expect to get my money's worth. However I do realize that they have a large number of people to take care of, and that is how they make a living.
    I will try to implement your suggestion.
    Thanks!
    Magical Disney Memories, '79, '83, 95,96,97,98,2/2000, 9/2000, 11/2001, 11/2002, 4/2003, 11/2003, 11/05, 2/07, 2/08 -world's greatest family reunion! 1/11-18/2010 15th wedding anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with lighteningqueen! We had the WORST service there. They never came to the table and when they did...they didn't bring my children's dinners. When we finally flagged the waitress down....she became annoyed and was very nasty. My kids still didn't get their dinners.We complained to the manager....and basically he said too bad...she must be having a bad night. I would NEVER spend the money to eat there again. There are so many wonderful places to eat. We really enjoy Liberty Tree Tavern and have never felt rushed there.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy a nice relaxing meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mysttree View Post
    ...attack more bees
    Must be a Freudian slip

We eat at O'Hana's every time we go (except the last), and we have NEVER been rushed. Maybe its because we've never eaten there during free dining??

I think it's all in the diner's attitudes. If you are there to relax, then don't let anyone get you worked up! If they don't bring your food or drinks, then that's more time to relax. I'm also perfectly fine with getting up and finding someone if we need something. As far as the food being bad or uncooked, that's where I'd start to have a problem. I'd send it back, and/or ask to see the manager. If you complain enough (and I'm one that avoids causing a scene at all costs), you'll eventually get what you want.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We could not have been nicer and never complained to the waitress. She was just plain lifeless. I did complain to the guy nwith the skewers and asked for some well done meats that that was raw and should not be served. Oh he brought some back about 30 minutes later burned flat up. Just bad. That point I wanted to just eat the lettuce leaves as that is about all that is in there. Finally caught her flying by and might I add looked right at our table several times to hopefully see we needed drink refills. It was not that she was busy on the floor she disappeared as our area was quite put out with her. Anyways we do not have to go back and that is how we will handle it. $150.00 ticket to pay plus we stupidly left her a 20% tip. Like I said we tried to be nice and not cause a riff as we do not do this. We could have had 15 counter service meals at 10.00 each plus 3 more for the tip, and had way more food than that place. We have given this place 2 trys will not again.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I do not let bad service get me down. I paid for the meal and dinning experience and I make the most of it.

I give the wait staff three chances for refills. After that I just assume it must be self service. Twice at two different sit downs I got up and went to serve myself soda refills. That got the servers and managements attention. LOL. Never had less than a half full glass the rest of the meals

I will say most of my Disney experiences have always been just perfect.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    I give the wait staff three chances for refills. After that I just assume it must be self service. Twice at two different sit downs I got up and went to serve myself soda refills. That got the servers and managements attention. LOL. Never had less than a half full glass the rest of the meals
    Now thats a philosophy I really like!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    ]]I give the wait staff three chances for refills. After that I just assume it must be self service. Twice at two different sit downs I got up and went to serve myself soda refills. That got the servers and managements attention. LOL. Never had less than a half full glass the rest of the meals

]
    I love it too!!

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

We find if we want to slow down a meal, it helps if you don't order all at once. Drinks while looking for appetizer, appetizer while looking for entree. Ordering two drinks helps - we get club soda and then look at the wine list at the nicer places. Healthier and allows you to really choose your wine without feeling rushed. I LOVE the idea of help yourself refills.

Post Thanks / Like

we did ohana's last year, and it is not on my list this year, the service was ok,just ok.
    but there is alot of meat,lot's and lot's, the steak was pretty raw,the pork was chewy,we only enjoyed the turkey and shrimp, but the shrimp is messy.
    we did love the starters, i could have stayed with starters and not moved on...
    the salad was awesome as were the chicken wings and dumplings, the desert is wonderful also, so skip the entree and you'll be fine, lol!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I do the self serve drink thing too. I watch where they go to refill (if it's not visible), and if my glass is empty, off I go. If the waitress doesn't have time to fill my glass, I do. You are right, it gets their attention right away!

Post Thanks / Like

We also let the servers know nicely at our known "rush" places that we're looking forward to enjoying our meal. This would include LeCellier and Mama Melrose. We ensure that we mention to the server that we would like to enjoy our appetizers before our entrees are served, too.

Interestingly enough, the places where we get the slowest service are Ohana and Whispering Canyon. We are sure not to mention anything here, as a normal meal usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours anyway!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly why we only do buffets at Disney. The TS is rushed because they over book. We go out once a week at home, so mostly, at Disney, we do CS or the above mentioned buffet. We only made three ADR's this year, the rest of the time, we eat, when we're hungry, and where we are.

You're "on the mark" about O'Hana's. For what you pay, it's just not that good.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rushing

I like the idea of clearly expressing the request not to hurry at the beginning of the meal. Some families are anxious to eat and run to the next parade, Fastpass return time or whatever. We can't expect restaurant staff to be mind readers.

I am always polite with restaurant wait staff. Sometimes, when I say "Thank you" for a refill it seems like the server pauses, makes eye contact and says, "You're welcome." and I wonder how many times a day that server hears, "Thank you."

But I don't think I should have to schmooze waiters or give them the impression I don't want to rush because I'm trying to make things easier for them.

My favorite way to leave a restaurant is. after having had great service, my wife turn to me and asks if I left extra tip and answering "Absolutely."

Post Thanks / Like

How do we avoid being rushed at TS places (at WDW or anywhere else)?

EAT SLOWLY.

It's healthier for you anyway.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Now thats a philosophy I really like!

That is pretty good!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on our server, we will try to make some small talk, give them a second to catch their breath from their busy day and either tell them off the bat we are not in a hurry or when we order we make sure to tell them we do NOT want our entrees coming right after the appetizers. We also will order drinks first. Then browse the appetized menu. Order that, have another drink, then order entree.

Another thing my husband and I do....and it really started as a joke...for everything we feel the server did wrong, or took too long etc, we take a dollar off the tip. I know, I know...it sounds bad. We are paying $$$$ for what is supposed to be world class (or at least better then average ) food, we expect decent service with it...the server doesn't have to have a sparkling personality, but please don't let us die waiting for a refill or take too long to bring us our food after its been sitting in the kitchen...

I never used to complain, or say anything was wrong or send something back...now I open my mouth..tell the server I am not happy and ask for a manager. The servers can't do much to fix things but a manager can.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have never had to make a point to any server at any WDW restaurant that we want to have a slower paced meal. We've never been rushed, ESPECIALLY at 'Ohana. We seem to get the nicest, most attentive servers there.

Maybe it's because DH and I have a really relaxed and friendly attitude, and I'm sure servers can pick up on that, but we almost always get servers in tune with our way of dining. We really enjoy our relaxing meals in WDW, even in the parks.

What we love about 'Ohana is that you can have as much or as little of everything that you want. I don't understand why people complain about there being so much meat....only take what you want! They don't force it on you. If you only want one piece of steak, only take one. It's that simple. I usually eat more veggies, salad and such than I do meat, and I've never left there hungry.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: