Quantcast tips for building a professional wardrobe

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default tips for building a professional wardrobe

Hey everyone... so I am currently in my senior year of college, and will be beginning graduate school next year to become a speech-language pathologist. This year I am required to do 25 hours of observations in the clinical setting, and during graduate school I will be seeing clients during the day and taking classes at night.

SO.... I decided it would be a good idea to purge my closet of everything that I don't like and doesn't fit (which was A LOT - it's been a while). Now I'm ready to do a little shopping but I really want to head in a more sophisticated/conservative direction while still having fun/trendy pieces so that I can transition from a college kid into someone that is in college AND working in a professional setting.

I should probably also mention that the whole college part = not a ton of funds.

Any suggestions of what pieces/shoes are really versatile or good for mixing and matching? Where are the best deals at?

Reading this back I'm afraid I sound completely shallow talking about clothes, but unfortunately a dress code is part of the deal with what I want to do... thanks for any advice!
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a really hard time finding work clothes when I graduated from college! I would just make sure that everything you buy can be at least hand washable and natural fibers. I purchased my first suit at Express, but I haven't shopped there for years so I don't know if prices are reasonable. Just make sure you buy things that you can mix and match. A basic suit with pants and a skirt. You can spruce it up with accessories (I love Forever21 for trendy less expensive accessories!). You could also do a gray or a tan suit coat and use black pants and a black shirt for a different look (does that make sense???). Don't be afraid of color, but do it in pieces that don't cost a lot or are the center of your wardrobe. I live by the GAP sale rack!

Happy shopping! Can't wait to hear how it all comes out!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

You need help from Clinton and Stacy!

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...nottowear.html

Seriously, though, I applaud you for recognizing the need to update/upgrade your wardrobe. The best advice I can give you is to stay with a classic look and avoid anything that's going to be out of fashion next year or something.

A nice suit or a good pair of pants and a blouse will always be a great, professional look.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You have just addressed a pet peeve of mine!!! Most of the interns that came into our school looked like they just rolled out of bed It is a big step in the hiring process to look like you are capable of doing the job. I would look for separates that you can mix and match. A mix of dress pants and skirts and a combination of blouses and sweaters Try stores like TJ Maxx, Stein Mart, Burlington Outlets, catalogues like Chadwicks for sales on basics. A nice pair of dress boots if you live in a cold climate. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I just took an administrative job and had to go out and buy all new clothes. As a bedside RN, all I have is scrubs and sneakers.

I tried to get the essentials... pants/skirts in neutral colors that I could mix and match with different tops. I found some good deals at the Limited, JC Penny and NY & Co.
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely go for classics and basics. I find that I don't wear suits much, and rely upon dress pants in black and brown, as well as dress khakis. I then mix and match those with button down shirts in various colors, and some basic blouses in more vibrant colors to change things up. As for shoes, I have two pairs of shoes that I swear by--they are both Aerosoles, but have about a 1 1/2 inch heel on them.

I honestly only buy on clearance, and have a pretty ample and up to date wardrobe. My favorite stores: Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, NY&Co., Ross, Burlington Coat Factory. For shoes DSW is great--sign up for their mailing list, and you'll receive online coupons on a regular basis. Also don't be afraid of Payless--a friend of mine works for 9 West shoes and says they have the same manufacturer.

Good luck and happy shopping!!!!

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

New York and Company! It's my favorite place for professional dress. The have affordable and fashionable (but not too trendy) suits and skirts, as well as button downs in a rainbow of colors and sweaters for when it gets cold. I like to have a dark brown or black pin stripe suit and change it up with a different color shirt and accessories.

Make sure that you sit, stretch, bend over, and reach in the clothes when in the dressing room. Very few peole stand still while at work, so make sure it's comfertable to move in and won't be too short when sitting or reveal too much at the neckline if leaning forward.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prprincess View Post
    Definitely go for classics and basics. I find that I don't wear suits much, and rely upon dress pants in black and brown, as well as dress khakis. I then mix and match those with button down shirts in various colors, and some basic blouses in more vibrant colors to change things up. As for shoes, I have two pairs of shoes that I swear by--they are both Aerosoles, but have about a 1 1/2 inch heel on them.
    This is similar to my work wardrobe: dress pants in black (2 pairs), charcoal gray, and brown, plus khakis for casual Fridays; button-down shirts, lightweight cardigan sweater sets, and lightweight v-neck sweaters in solid colors to mix-and-match with the pants; comfortable black and brown dress shoes with 1.5 - 2" heels.

I have been able to get by with just one black pantsuit for quite awhile now -- I wear a full suit maybe twice a year.

I also try to spice up my basic wardrobe (which never really goes out of style) with a few trendier pieces, such as different style tops, a cute jacket, a nice skirt.

Good luck with your shopping and with your new career!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Buy at least one matching suit- pants, jacket and skirt. Try to look for sales- Banana Republic is expensive -but their sales are usually good. Otherwise, try Target. Even though it won't be the best quality, they make some stylish work pieces that are pretty affordable and no one will know if you don't tell them. Try to stick with black, gray, dark brown or navy. Personally I would say black just becuase it can go with anything. Tops- you can be cheap on. Sweaters too. Shoes as well- when they start to wear out, toss them and pick up another cheap pair. Don't get anything too trendy- stick to basics. Nice clothes on sale try Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, and the Limited. Key is sale! Don't feel like you have to buy the whole wardrobe in one day- you might want to buy the suit together but pick up tops and such here and there when you can afford to. Old Navy even has some suiting pieces, too. Good luck. I know it is hard when you are starting out.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian about What Not to Wear. I like both the U.S. And U.K. versions. It's a good show to help you change your wardrobe, as they help you dress for your body type and lifestyle. I constantly refer to my "What You Wear Can Change Your Life" book by Trinny and Susannah from the U.K. WNTW.

First thing, don't buy anything that you don't feel comfortable in or doesn't reflect your personal style. If you don't feel comfortable, then you won't look confortable and it will show. Dress in your own style.

Second, know your season. Are you a winter, spring, summer or autumn? It's important to find this out. Even though something can look great and fit great, if it's the wrong color for you, then you can still look bad.

Fit is key. In everything you wear. That means buying well-fitting undergarments. Try to avoid VPLs.

Know your body type and buy clothes that fit your body type. Are you an apple, pear, ruler or hourglass? If you have a muffin top, then your pants don't fit well. If something doesn't fit quite right, get it tailored (tops and bottoms).

I know that others recommend some lower-priced clothes, which can be useful on a budget. But don't be afraid to splurge on a few well-made basics or something that you really love. You won't regret your decision.

Good luck!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pretty much every suggestion that's been posted with regard to style (classic with some fun accessories, etc.). The one I don't agree with has to do with shoes.

When I was working, I had a lot of trouble when I tried to get by with "cheap" shoes. My feet would hurt, which makes for a miserable day. This may not be true for everyone, but it was for me. I started investing a little more in shoes, and all the foot problems went away. Go ahead and try the less expensive route, but if you have trouble, that's the place where I recommend that you spend a little extra.

It's never a good day when every step you take hurts!

Good luck!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

I feel you! I'm still in college but my part-time job recently transitioned from being able to wear whatever you want to having to dress professionally. I went to TJ Max and H&M and have they great, good quality clothing. Get black/grey dress pants that are machine washable, basic skirts, dressy sweaters/blouses, and sports jackets are always great. I have a black and grey one that I wear all the time. It automatically dresses up any outfit. Good luck with your new wardrobe!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Years ago my mom went from veterinary tech to an office job requiring better clothes. She found great deals at re-sell it shops. NOT Goodwill but more upscale (don't mean to sound snobby) re-sale shops. Especially for suits and blazers. The town we lived in had one good one and the town she worked in had a couple more. She'd browse every month or so and had a great wardrobe for even less than TJ Max on sale.

Also, Sierra Trading Post (on-line) has expensive clothes marked down but the marked down price is still often pretty steep.

Sam

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: