Quantcast Why do you keep going back???? and Why do they ask??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do you keep going back???? and Why do they ask??

As we were having a birthday celebration with my family for the Aug/Sept Birthdays, I was posed a rather annoying question. Im sure you all have been asked the same question, at least for those of you who frequent the parks more than once a year!!!! We we sitting at the dinner table and I was telling my brother when our next 3 trips were scheduled for the next 3 months and he seemed rather annoyed while asking "Why would you even want to go back to Disney?" I know he did not mean like why go back for ever, but he wanted to know why we go so often. I told him that I love that place and could live there if given the chance!!!

I often wonder if people are just jealous and that is there way of covering for what ever reason they may choose not to go ever or as often!?! I am able to go by not going out to eat, not going to the movies, and only buying new clothes when it is time to go to Disney!!!!

My kids absolutely live, sleep and eat Disney!!!
    My son that just turned 2 know every character and tells me everyday what ride he is gonna ride first when he gets to the" Mag KeKe". It is awesome to see such Joy in a child's eyes.....THAT'S WHY I GO BACK!!!!!
    Too many times to count before NOW! 40+

Next trips planned Jan.1-6 2013 ~ ORANGE LAKE RESORT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, just 3 more days!!!!! Yippee!!!!
    Too many times to count before NOW! 40+

Next trips planned Jan.1-6 2013 ~ ORANGE LAKE RESORT

Post Thanks / Like

I would go more often if we could. But, thankful for our once per year trip. We changed our month from September to December this year. So, instead of going in the next couple of weeks I have to wait a few more months. I know it will fly by.

Have fun!
    Next Trip: 1/11 at POP
    09/08-Pop
    09/06-Pop
    09/05-Music
    05/01-Magic Kingdom (DD 1st Trip & My 30th B-Day)
    05/96-Off Property
    10/95-Dixie Landings (DW 1st Trip & Honeymoon!)
    10/94-Sports
    1971-1993 - About 20 Trips Off Property
    Born in Florida 1971

Post Thanks / Like

i get asked that a lot, and i always reply "why not"? i l ike it. I have fun...I don't question why some people go camping every weekend, or why some go to vegas a coupe times a month...
    It's just what i'm into.
    some ask me wouldn't i like to go to another country, and i always tell them, that i do. every trip i visit Morroco, Norway, England, France, etc....
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's envy-based. I think they honestly don't get it. They don't understand the appeal. Either they've never been and they're imagining a big Six Flags type park (as my husband did when I told him I wanted a WDW honeymoon- thank goodness he listened and then understood!), or they went with the wrong attitude and thought it was all overhyped and overpriced and they couldn't open their minds and hearts and really have the Disney experience as we have it, or they just don't like it as we do and don't understand the need for repeat visits. They're the been there-done that crowd.

My best friend went with her family and they had a great time, but she still says once was enough, that there's so much else in the world to see. And she's right. There is so much more. Occasionally, I go vacation elsewhere. But I just can't help going back to Disney.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I get this question a lot as well...and I really think the people asking this question...just don't get it...for example I was just talking with a friend of mine who took his two daughters there for one day and he said it was ok...but didn't understand why people want to stand in line for a short ride. I've tried to explain how its different but I really think you either get the Magic or you don't....
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I get this question more than you can imagine. We go for 2+ weeks each year, and the comments range from, "Why do you spoil your kid so much" to "You could go somewhere exotic for a week and spend so much less money"! As for the spoiling - well - if DH and I didn't love it just as much as DS, we wouldn't be A/P holders and return each year!

I agree, for the most part people just don't "get it". I have a boss who does, and a few older co-workers who love Disney World, but for the most part even my extended family can't fathom why we love it and go back each year!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Honestly, I think the main reason is that people really have a skewed impression of what a Disney World vacation is.

First off, pretty much everyone thinks of WDW as an overpriced tourist trap. And to the inexperienced visitor, that's probably what it is. But the truth is, if you do your homework, a WDW vacation can cost you significantly less than even a typical beach vacation does.

This whole thing drives DW nuts. She's always like, "I don't get it ... people think nothing of spending a week at the Jersey Shore every year and spending $4,000 or $5,000 on it. You can go to Disney World for a week for half that much and you better well bet that there's a whole lot more to do in Disney World than there is at the Jersey Shore!!!"

I just don't think most people can get past the whole Mickey Mouse thing and see Disney World as a full service resort destination. There's just so much more there than the theme parks that people really overlook.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For years my mom and brother (5 months older than my son) have been my son's and my traveling companions. It's really cut down on expenses with splitting the cost of hotels 50/50 and we have lots of fantastic memories. Now, however, my son and I have become addicts and my mom and DB, somehow, are immune to the charms of the mouse and his kingdom. Every year I say I want to head to Disney and, every year, my mom rolls her eyes and says "again?!?" DS and I did a "solo" trip in 2007 and had a blast. Mom and DB joined us again in 2008 but still remain immune. Unfortunately there was/is no trip in 2009 and 2010 isn't looking good already. Once my checkbook is back up and running I have a feeling DS and I will be taking our trips to satisfy our addiction by ourselves. Oh, well, we'll just have to tough it out on our own.

Post Thanks / Like

Its always an annoying question, but I use it as an opportunity to sell another person on the Magic!!! I have several co-workers who have never been, their idea of relaxation is a beach or Mexico or something like that. They are always like "but you can't snorkle or just lay out, and the crowds, etc" and I just say "you can do anything you want at Disney, they have it available, there are beaches, and horses, and golf, and above all else 4 amazing themeparks with top notch service"
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I agree there is so much to offer there in the world to do other than the parks. BUT what I do not get is the people who go several times a year. I LOVE Disney do not get me wrong. But how do you have fun when you just went 3 months ago.

MEANING: You know what every ride is like and what to expect.

Nothing new has been changed or added for the most part in the 3 months..

No new Food places which they dearly need and now, not in the future

The shows do not change like Lion King... WHY don't they re corriagraph something new for it???? Spelled that wrong I am sure. But really why is it the same??? Why is lights Motor Action the very same time after time????
    Indian Jones same every time. You know exactly what is going to happen. I go every time and have gone only 2 times and will again this Dec. But I would really like a change so that I can say wow I haven't seen that before...

I hope ya'll get what I mean. How can it be fun so often. Once a year is good if I can do that. But after this trip it will be at least 3 years before we get to come. By then maybe the new will be done and some things changed when we bring our now 3 month old granddaughter and 18 month old grandson.. Our 6 year old loves it and will be 9 and get to do many more things then so it will be like the first time all over for him. Plus it may take us 3 years to pay for it again. Money is getting tighter and tighter for self employed's like us.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I get that question a lot too. Everyone knows I'm a Disney fan. I haven't been since December 2007 and I'm MISSING it terribly! I may get the chance to go back this December. I'm crossing my fingers. Anyway, I always go to Disney with family and/or friends so it's a different experience every time depending on the group I'm with. I love spending time there with my family and friends because we can RELAX and forget about the outside world!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

We've gotta remember too, that for every non-Disney person out there wondering "why are they going to Disney again" there's probably a Disney person who wonders "why are they going to Yellowstone / NYC / France / (insert destination here) again." And if you think Disney people are the objective ones open to new experiences and seeing the world then I would counter that many of the sig lines seen here say otherwise.

Basically I don't think it's a Disney related thing, I think it's more of a human nature thing. For whatever reason some people like to create drama so they ask what should be an innocent question in a confrontational way.

Don't worry about it, it's your life and your happiness that's important, not the opinion of someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    i get asked that a lot, and i always reply "why not"? i l ike it. I have fun...I don't question why some people go camping every weekend, or why some go to vegas a coupe times a month...
    It's just what i'm into.
    AMEN!!!! I get the same thing all the time and my reply is why do you always go to the Dominican? why do always go to Vegas? why do you always go camping at the SAME park and the SAME site on the SAME week every year? I love Disney so deal with it!
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Sheryl and I am a disneyholic.

I think that basically sums it up in a nutshell.(no pun intended)
    But people either get it or not and for me that is my laughing place so my family and I go at least once a year.
    Long live the Mouse!

Post Thanks / Like

I get asked that question and we only go every two years! I agree with the above comments that the people asking really just don't know what Disney has to offer. I have a b.i.l. who's never been and says he'd never go. When I started telling him about Epcot, I could really tell he was surprised and was giving it more consideration. My mom asks me that too. Although, with her I think it's just because she wants to go on vacation with us, but isn't interested in Disney (she's been there with us a couple times). She wants us to pick a vacation destination she's interested in so she can tag along. I love to have her with us! But I'm not going to skip a Disney trip for her. Besides, when my girls look at me with those beautiful eyes and ask when we're going back it just tugs at my heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Many other reponses are the same as mine.... I get this question alot! But, now that people know how much I know about Disney (and I think that I only have skimmed the surface... i mean who really knows everything about disney?) they secretly come to me and ask me to help them plan a trip to WDW.

It's like I'm the candy dealer to a bunch of diabetics!!!!

I too respond with ... why do you go ____ every year? why do you spend $150 on a haircut every 2 months? why do you buy yet ANOTHER new expensive suit for work? why do you spend $50+ at the bar for happy hour 2-3 times a week? (DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS IS OVER A YEAR AND I COULD PROBABLY STRETCH THAT $$$ INTO 1 OR 2 WDW TRIPS????)

My bottom line is, I love to go because I truly am in another world while i'm there. I have virtually no stress (unless there's a meltdown in a restaruant... but, even that "parental" stress is different that "real world stress"), I exercise more, my family shows love more, I feel loved and want to show my family and fellow WDW vacationear more love.... Wherever you can find that kind of nirvana, I say go as often as you can! Mine is found at Disney. So..
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Extra Gene

I think we all have an extra "gene". It's shaped like a mickey or a castle or a large ball or a huge tree or a large sorcerer hat. If never activated the gene remains stagnate but once energized it must be appeased by a trip to the WORLD. My gene acts up at least two but usually three times a year. It is so bad right now that I must go in October just to get it to to quit wiggling.
    I doubt if this explanation will work for you but I'll bet all the INTERCOTEES understand.
    I have to stop now I think my gene is wiggling.
    Everyone have a great trip to our favorite place.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Disney...my family can never get enough. We are DVC owners which allows us to visit the world more then if we didn't. I am not a fan of exotic locals and sitting on a beach. I'm not knocking people who like this, its just not me...or my family. For us, everything about Disney is enjoyable. From boarding the plane, to check in to heading right out to a park....its part of who our family is.

I guess it comes down to individual personalities and their likes/dislikes as to who loves Disney and those who don't. I'm glad I am one of those who DO.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This whole thing drives DW nuts. She's always like, "I don't get it ... people think nothing of spending a week at the Jersey Shore every year and spending $4,000 or $5,000 on it. You can go to Disney World for a week for half that much and you better well bet that there's a whole lot more to do in Disney World than there is at the Jersey Shore.

I can not believe this thread!!! I was going to post almost the same exact thing a couple of weeks ago.

The same people ask us time and time again and it aggravates me so much because these are the people who spend the $3,000-$4000 just for a house at the jersey shore. I tell them for $3,000 I can get hotel, food, entertainment and my airfare. And best thing about it is, I don't have to cook !!!

I like the one posters answer though on just saying how happy it makes her...I guess I should take that approach, I don't know why, but I just get so darn defensive when asked!!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Share This Thread On Social Media: