Quantcast When Was the First Time You Felt "Old"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking When Was the First Time You Felt "Old"?

Post inspired by my current surroundings. I am in my early thirties but I feel very old right now. I am travelling on business and the coworkers here that I am working with are all fresh out of college! I feel like I could be thier mom even though the age difference is probably only 10 years. LOL so help me feel like I am not alone here. When did you first feel the generational gap?
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Some years ago, when watching the Olympics and I realized most of the Olympic athletes were much younger than I was. I remembered when they all seemed so grown up to me and suddenly they were all kids! Ouch.

I feel old this week because I'm dropping my firstborn off at college this weekend to start his first year.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I felt old when we elected a President who was younger than me. Then again this week when my youngest left for her freshman year at college.

Post Thanks / Like

When I talk to younger folks about their music, or I catch a list of the current "hit" songs....and I have no clue who ANY of the groups or singers are. That started happening a long time ago.

I think shortly after the Beatles broke up.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

When the kids I used to babysit graduated college...

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was when my little sister started high school. I was almost 16 when she was born. We lived apart in different states or countries from the time I went away to college (she wasn't even three at the time), so it was hard to imagine her all grown up. She is starting her sophomore year in college now... ugh!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago my neice and I were listening to the radio and she said she liked a song and I said "I have that record in the basement" she asked me what a record was. Had never seen one only cd's and a cassette tape once or twice.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

When I realizewd both my kids were in high school.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

When my two year old pointed out "Mommy why is your hair two different colors?" I was mortified I am only 31.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is an almost everyday occurance with me because of the kids...but I have 2 major instances that stick in my mind.

About 4 years ago when I was 34 I visited my niece at college and stayed the weekend in her dorm. That was an eye opener and kind of depressing. Everyone she introduced me to looked at me like I was ancient! I guess I am in their eyes!

2nd time was driving my 7 and 9 yr old to school last year and was singing something on the radio and they we're looking at me out the corners of their eyes saying "yeah mom, that's enough"

Gotta love it!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my mid- thirties and I felt it when I had a doctor that was younger than I was.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean!

I'm in my early thrities too, and most of the my colleagues are around 25. It's not as much an age thing as a stage of life thing - I have a house, pets, a steady relationship and (reasonable) financial stability. They have apartments, hookups, go bar crawling, and struggle paycheck to paycheck.

I recall those days, and while I'm glad I'm past them, I have plenty of stories of my own to tell to help them realize I'm not that different from them.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago when i went to a club with my workmates and suddenly it hit me that i looked like a sad old man when all the young girls were around ....
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

When I don't have the energy to do everything I want in a day. I guess the "old" bug really hit me on Dec 31st last year. My dad passed, I am the youngest sibling (just turned 39), and I am the one that has to keep the family together.

I really don't feel old. I am getting older, but I still prefer to have fun rather than worry about it. I have a 3yo DD and she keeps me busy. She is also the reason I am fighting to get back into shape. Not even close yet, but she is the goal.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I work at a science camp every summer, and the kids bring something to take apart and reinvent their device. Anyway, at the camp I was at a couple weeks ago, one of the kids had a cassette deck on the side of this old school radio that I was helping take apart. Upon finding the deck, I asked the kid if he knew what a cassette is. He gives me this look like "You're crazy". I then ask if he knows what a CD is. Still no luck. I then have to tell him the evolution from cassette to CD to iPod/mp3. Man I feel old!
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Three big ones for me:
    1. I'm a big music guy and used to be up on all the current bands. One day I turned on the radio and I kept hopping from station to station and couldn't find a single song I knew! From that day on, I only listen to my iPod in the car.
    2. This day will forever stick out in my mind. I'm in my office at home and I have music blasting from my PC. My daughter, then 2 years old, is walking by with my wife and to entertain her I start jumping around, dancing, and singing to the song. She looks at me and screams, "STOP IT!! YOU'RE NOT COOL, DADDY!!" When a 2 year old has figured out that you aren't cool anymore, that's pretty much rock bottom.
    3. When I turned 40.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I work at a university and it really hit me last year when freshmen had birthdays in 1990. I mean the 90's were just a few years ago. You can't come to college if you were only born in the 90's, right?

Also, the college where I previously worked still had a few carbon forms that had to be completed with a typewriter. I once asked a student worker if she could type up a form for me and she looked at me like I was nuts. She had never seen a real typewriter.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Three big ones for me:
    1. This day will forever stick out in my mind. I'm in my office at home and I have music blasting from my PC. My daughter, then 2 years old, is walking by with my wife and to entertain her I start jumping around, dancing, and singing to the song. She looks at me and screams, "STOP IT!! YOU'RE NOT COOL, DADDY!!" When a 2 year old has figured out that you aren't cool anymore, that's pretty much rock bottom.
    At least you think you're cool.

This year it's starting to hit me. I had to plan a 40th birthday party for my best friend, my DD turned 13 and I had my 20th high school graduation.

These events made me think.... I was 17 when I graduated and now I'm celebrating 20 years being out, ouch. I remember with detail turning 13 and I also remember thinking how old my parent were when we celebrated their 40th birthdays.

Until this year I never thought of myself as old but that is changing.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a teenager in the 60s, the 30s seemed like the stone ages to me. To a teenager now, the 60s must seem neolithic.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, they say that you're only as old as you feel, so some days I'm 100+ and some days I'm still a teenager.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: