Quantcast Taking cabs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Taking cabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking cabs

I'm very curious about all the people that mention taking cabs to get to ADRs, DTD, etc.
    When I see quotes of $15-20 per cab ride I wonder why people don't rent a car. That is what we always do and since we seem to average $25-30/day when breaking down the cost, there is no question that the flexibility of your own car makes more sense than hiring out all these cabs.

I would love to hear why others choose to go the cab route instead?
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally, I tend to use Disney transportation most of the time. Over that last two or three trips, we used cab services two or three times. On one trip, we spent two nights at Pop before transferring to another resort. We used a cab to get from one to ther other. On our last trip, it was questionable as to whether we could get to the closet park before the last of the transportaion closed down so opted for cab service. Generally, our use of cab service is minimal and certainly costs far less than the cost of a rental car.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Just like the PP, we only do it once or twice a trip. We mostly use disney transportation, but it always seems at least once during our trip we are running late for an ADR, or are exhusted after a dinner and just want to get where we are going quick. I agree if you were going to call for a cab more than a few times a trip, it would make more sense to rent a car.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We used Disney transportation most of the time but we had a 4.5 and 7 week old with us so there were a couple of times we took a cab to get back to the hotel because it was late or raining etc.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We generally take Disney transport, but have taken a cab to avoid the crazy-long bus lines at MK on our way back from the Poly.

I agree, if you're just going to cab it everywhere, rent a car. If it is a once or twice a trip thing, just take a cab and leave the driving to someone else.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to be using cab service a lot, it might be worth it to check into renting a car. We've used the cab option a few times, and to be honest a) it can take awhile to get one, depending on time of day or night and demand and b) costs can really vary.

It's not the easy fix some people make it out to be. Not that it's hard- it's still usually faster than the Disney transportation options later at night and it is affordable enough. But-- just something to keep that in mind when deciding on transportation options and to rent a car or not. Generally, I prefer to stay in my Disney dream bubble and not have to drive around while on vacation, so our best bet is Disney buses/monorail/boat and the occasional cab service. We have waited up to half an hour for a cab with a line of other patrons also waiting for cabs, and it did cost us nearly $40 (with tip) to go from the AKL to the GF at the time (a cost probably elevated due to demand).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I agree, if you're just going to cab it everywhere, rent a car. If it is a once or twice a trip thing, just take a cab and leave the driving to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    If you're going to be using cab service a lot, it might be worth it to check into renting a car. We've used the cab option a few times, and to be honest a) it can take awhile to get one, depending on time of day or night and demand and b) costs can really vary.

Generally, I prefer to stay in my Disney dream bubble and not have to drive around while on vacation, so our best bet is Disney buses/monorail/boat and the occasional cab service.
    I agree 100%.

During our recent 8 day stay at Polynesian, we took a total of three taxi rides: round-trip to and from Yacht Club for our IllumiNations cruise and one-way to DTD for an ADR that we wanted to be on-time for (but wanted to extend that mid-afternoon nap in the room for as long as possible).

I think all 3 rides totalled something like $70 including tips. If we rented a car for our stay, it would've cost us $200-$240, and we wouldn't have used the car except for the above trips.

Post Thanks / Like

i spent 40$ last trip on cabs. and i still didnt have to drive myself.

kate
    Oct 07 POR
    Oct 08 ASMo
    Jan 09 ASMu
    SEP 09 ASMo
    DEC 09 CBR-solo trip
    Dec 10 Pop
    Oct 11 CS
    Oct 12 CSR, Dream
    Dec 12 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Generally, I prefer to stay in my Disney dream bubble and not have to drive around while on vacation, so our best bet is Disney buses/monorail/boat and the occasional cab service.

We usually use Disney transport for everything, but we will be trying a cab for the first time on our upcoming trip, just to save some time getting back & forth from FW and our home resort. (quite a lengthy ride using Disney buses)

We figure it will cost us about $40, much less than a rental, and we can enjoy getting "chauffered" everywhere else Disney-style.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I will always rent a car when I am at Disney. While I will take the monorail the first day we go to Epcot because I enjoy the loop through the park before we disembark, I do not want to rely on the Disney Transportation for my whole trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally we prefer to use either our car (since we tend to drive down for most trips) or disney transportation...however, a cab ride back to a resort is not an unthinkable option for us if its at park closing and your looking at a lengthy wait for a bus. $15 for a cab can seem like quite a bargain if your very tired and its 11pm.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental Car Rates this summer are $$$$HIGH$$$

We usually rent a car because we like to go from VWL to Boardwalk or DTD... not the easiest places to get to via Buses.

However, this trip (Aug 15-Aug 25) we will be at BLT at the CR. So we intend to use the Monorail and walk more.

Also, the rental rates were crazy high when we booked our flights- and they have not come down by much since then. Therefore we will proabably taxi more often on this trip.
    Can't wait to get back to the magic...

Post Thanks / Like

We alway's use Disney transportation when we don't take our own car. The only exception was when we had been shopping at DTD and had so many heavy pkg's. We took a cab back to ASMv.
    Worth every penny. As I recall it was also raining and we just didn't feel like lugging all those bags back up to the bus stop.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Same reason as everyone else here...we use Disney Transportation for the majority of the trip. But once in a while, it's just too late after our dinner to wait for transportation. If you're havign dinner at another resort, a cab is typically right there, waiting to take you "home." Heaven at the end of a long day!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

For us there is no better way to ruin that Disney magic than trying to drive from place to place. The traffic is usually very heavy in and around Disney. I am always very grateful to look out that bus or cab window and think how glad I am that I'm not driving! We rented a car once, and since then, we ALWAYS use disney transportation or a cab.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it by Disney transportation as you are paying for it!

The only time we have used a cab is when going golfing and those you get free vouchers for!
    12/98' Caribbean Beach
    2/00' Dixie Landings
    11/01' Port Orleans-RS
    11/03' Port Orleans-RS
    2/05' Beach Club Villas
    3/07' Port Orleans-RS
    2/08' All Star Sports (for 1.5 days, but we still count it!)
    12/09' Port Orleans-FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I/we hate taking bus after bus so we do rent a car but on some evenings we know we'll be drinking so we take a taxi back to our resort.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

We use a cab about 2-3 times per trip and we drive our own car to WDW. Sometimes its just easier and quicker to take a cab vs. driving your own car or a rental. Here is one example of why we took a cab this past June. We had an ADR for dinner at Ohana's and wanted to go to MK after. I had no intentions of parking at the Poly for the entire time because I am not a paying guest of that resort. To have to drive to the Poly, then after dinner drive to the TTA, park the car, take the tram, take the monorail and then have to do it all again to get back to our room late that night just didn't sound very magical. Instead we took a cab to the Poly, monorailed to MK, then took a bus back to CBR. Much quicker and easier, and in my opinion well worth the $15 it cost us. We used a cab two more times in the week. The other times were to take a cab to the Poly for a breakfast ADR, then we monorailed to Epcot for most of the day, boated to BC for the kitchen sink that evening and then took a cab back to CBR and were back early enough to enjoy a nighttime swim. I hate the idea of having to move the car or having to go back to a park where the car is parked. It just seems like such a huge waste of time. We really dislike driving to the parks. I hate walking in those parking lots and waiting for the trams so any way to get out of doing that is worth the added expense for my family.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: