Quantcast Disney park maps cause accidents - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantod View Post
    I think we've all done it ourselves, at one place or another. But how do we react when it's brought to our attention, whether that happens in a rude or nice way? Do we move out of the way regardless? Are we capable at all of learning and refining our behavior?
    Good question... I am trying!
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretski99 View Post
    However, as much as I agree, the way I look at it....we're at DW. We are blessed with the means to pay for a trip to the happiest place on earth. I can't control anyone's behavior, only my own. Most people aren't rude on purpose, they are just clueless to the world around them. My wife always says "OK, take your 'vacation pills'" meaning "you're on vacation, enjoy it!!"

So I put on a smile, and have a good time. You can try, but will never be able to change anyone's behavior in the short term, and if you try to, you just end up being the only one that's not having fun.
    I just kind of look at it with a more "long-term" perspective. While it is annoying *right now*, once you get around them and move on, you'll forget about them. Or at least, you should forget about them. It's just not worth it to get emotional about it.

A few years ago when we lived in Springfield, IL, all of the Taco Bells closed. Then, about a year later, a new one was built, and the first week it was opened, it was packed. So, they had high demand, and they were breaking in new staff. Needless to say there were "efficiency issues". Some of the orders were taking longer than you would expect. It was interesting to watch and listen to the crowd of people waiting for their orders, and getting rude with the poor kids behind the counter trying to get them their food. On one hand, I can see why you'd get annoyed...fast food is not supposed to take that long. But, what I really thought was funny/sad was that here were people who were getting genuinely upset, and for what? A TACO. A taco, that they will have in less than five minutes. Is that really worth getting upset about? In the eternal perspective of things, is it worth ruining your own day, and those around you, over something as insignificant as a taco?

In the same light, is it worth getting upset over someone who stops in the middle of the sidewalk, or a group of people who are taking up the entire sidewalk and no one can pass? It IS annoying, true, but I just either slow down, or step aside or say "excuse me" and go past. If they were doing it on purpose, being a jerk intentionally, then i'd probably get more upset. But I can relate when people do something and don't mean to be a problem. I just smile, and move on. After all, we ARE at DisneyWorld.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ughh Yes

Yes, that happen all the time. We will be walking and someone stops in front of us. We dont use the maps anymore...but if I need to get something out of my purse - or need to do something that requires stopping - we always move to the side of the walkway - or to a seating area - away from the crowds - it makes it easier on us too - I can just plop down and look through my bag.

Especially at quick service places - people congregate in the door ways......come on - move it along.....
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Leona View Post
    I'll admit that my mom is a stopper. I always have to stop with her and usher her over to the side. Luckily, we usually go during non-peak times and she hasn't caused any major accidents (yet). She really isn't a rude person at all, she just gets caught up in the moment. I think we can all relate to that. Instead of getting mad, maybe try to remember that some people just get overwhelmed being at the happiest place on earth and need a moment to get there bearings.
    Very good point!

Post Thanks / Like

For me this is a non issue. This happens anywhere you go. The mall, Wal-mart, etc. I don't believe they are stopping just to make you angry. Think about this, they are heading down mainstreet, and want to know which way is tomorrowland, stop for 2 seconds, pull out the map, look at it and go again, this happens all the time and you can't fault them, we have all done it. It has nothing to do with being rude or a "its just me society". Mainstreet is a wide open path and go around them.

Maybe next time ask someone who looks really lost if they need help instead of "plowing into them" and snarling. To me thats even more rude
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    As I was reading this thread I had the same thought...while it is annoying to have someone "stop short on you" while walking up Mainstreet...there is something that just doesn't sound quite right (perhaps even self-centered) about complaining about the self-absorbedness, selfishness or rudeness of the people who are so caught up in their own little world that they stop and momentarily inconvenience us while we are walking around WDW in our own little worlds.
    This is exactly what I was just thinking!
    Tam
    12/03-offsite 6/04-offsite
    11/04-FW Campground
    6/05-offsite
    12/05 Magical Gathering!-House rental
    6/06-offsite 10/06-offsite
    1/08-First trip with baby!!
    Universal-11/08 HRH. Added MVMCP and a day at Epcot for my Disney fix!
    1/2010, 11/10-offsite

6/16-Booked at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a mickey day today. No biggie to me. So many things in WDW can draw your attention away from things you are doing, directions you are going. Some times it is kind of hard not to stop. It is so magical and wonderful in Disney that some of the same things that happen to me in the real world don't bother me as much as when I am at WDW. Now if I am walking in a grocery store or something and old Tom, Dick, and Harry are in the middle of the aisle blocking traffic as they discuss friday nights game, I can get a little ill at it. I sort've make allowances at WDW. Are there rude and uncaring people there? Yes.. They are everywhere!!!! I seem to handle it better on property, than off of it. I try to keep moving when trying to look at a map, or take a picture, but sometimes it does'nt happen that way. I will always say excuse me, and mean it. We're all there to experience the fun and magic of it all, somethings can be overlooked, and some can be not so bad after all. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

On my first trip, we used a map, and we walked and read it at the same time, it really isn't that hard to do. But, now, I now the parks so well I could find my way around with my eyes closed!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Disney park maps cause accidents...

I agree..But also when I am at a local mall and a group of people doesn't matter the agae old or teenage..when they get seperated from one of them they all stop..having a child in a stroller makes it hard Not to hit the person in front of you even if I am paying attention..So when I am at Disney..I really and mean Really try to stay my distance from groups...I don't want to hit anyone with the stroller or be hit..

I think people in general are so clueless on how to behave while doing everyday things...like moving to the side while reading a map or waiting for someone to catch up to the group...

I think people need to get off the computer and away from the Tv and interact more with humans and use common sense...

it goes along way....

everyone enjoy the parks whe ya there...
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread. Have to agree that it is disconcerting when folks suddenly stop in the middle of the road. It's equivalent to someone slamming on their brakes, so you have to be ready to make a lane change quickly.

At my office, we have very narrow hallways, and folks LOVE to hold lengthy conversations there. Talk about your bottlenecks.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

i agree. It drives me nuts also! BUT................I am on vacation, at WDW!! I dont let it ruin my great time that I am having!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's just one of those things that happen in places with a lot of people. I suppose it can be annoying but a simple "excuse me" usually clears the way. Or maybe I am just used to it since I live/work in an area with a lot of tourists.

But I only get bothered when some one completely blocks a doorway or stair case when there's no way around them - that's not necessary.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Cat

I've been saying this forever. It just seems some people don't have a clue. They will block the way and if you say excuse me and try to go around they look at you like your the rude one.
    I start out my trip with I'm not going to let this get to me, but sometimes by the end of the trip it's on my last nerve. Something worse is the person that pushes and shoves trying to get to the front of the line before others. I've actually had a woman onetime take her arm and shove me out of the way so she and someone with her could hurry past. This was leaving an attraction not even going into one.I wasn't blocking the way I was just following the crowd out.

Post Thanks / Like

"Ahh to be perfect." It is very hard to remain perfect and to be irritated by other people and the mistakes they make.

I stopped in the middle of an aisle at the grocery store. I didn't mean to stop the flow of traffic but I did. I usually get away with it by telling the people behind me that I do it on purpose because it's my job to cause disruption in the store. Most people just laugh and go on by.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that I have witnessed many people suddenly pulling up short at Disney World, for a variety of reasons--reading maps, talking on cell phones or text messaging, picking up the binky that their baby just threw on the ground, suddenly seeing something interesting in a window, tying their shoe, etc. Does it bother me? Maybe for a nano-second. Then it's on to more important things.

I also agree it would be more considerate of them to move to the side, but since I rarely am going full-steam behind them I haven't had an accident--yet.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Mouse View Post
    "Ahh to be perfect." It is very hard to remain perfect and to be irritated by other people and the mistakes they make.
    Oh, I don't know. I don't find it that difficult...to be perfect, that is!

Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Well when my daughter(9) does that I just tell her that she needs to get her brake lights fixed because by then I have usually ran into her. But what really gets me is when the people behind you, especially with strollers, just keep pushing forward knowing that for what ever reason the line is not moving right now. Maybe they think that if they run over someone it will make the problem go away. My mother-in-law almost got into a fist fight one time cause this same lady kept ramming her with the kid's stroller in line after she had told her that it wasn't moving right now. That would have been a kodak moment. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to go with the "I'm at WDW and I really don't care" if somebody stops in the middle of a 50' wide aisle and reads their map. Now the cell phone thing is different for me, get out of the way to talk on your dang phone !!!
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I am replying to this post again because I am reading a book by John Hench and he specifically mentions this problem. He said when he and the other imagineers and Walt were planning Disneyland, they made all the streets wide and made sure to have the Hub be very big because guests would surely stop and try to figure out where to go, shop, eat, rest, ride, etc. They planned for people to do this all the time, mulitple groups at a time, and thats why, yes its annoying, but there is always plenty of room to go around them. I found that interesting that Disney thought of that.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add my I agree that it's totally annoying, I have a sister who is in an electrical wheelchair and if someone stops in front of her it not only runs the risk of hurting that person, but my sister as well. She's very tall and her feet tend to stick out and for her to suddenly hit someone would put her in alot of pain. I understand that we are all on vacation while we are there and we get caught up in the moment, but we also need to think about the people around us and that there are alot of people. I'm not "hating" I'm just annoyed!
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: