Quantcast Disney park maps cause accidents

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney park maps cause accidents

I've noticed a lot of posts on here lately about rude behavior at Walt Disney World and the fact that it seems to be more and more common.

I'm going to throw in my two cents worth. I know the parks like the back of my hand and never need to use a park map to find my way around.

However, I have noticed in all of the parks that when someone needs to stop to use a park map, they do just that - they abruptly STOP, pull out the map and read. This would not be a problem if they were not in the middle of main walkway. It's rude to be walking through a main walkway with hundreds of people behind you and stop abruptly and halt those behind you just because you don't know where you are. I'm amazed at how many people will not step to the side so that others can pass.

On my last visit near the TOT, I saw a woman get knocked down by a large stroller because she decided to stop instantly to read her map and she didn't even think about the people behind her.

The same is true when members of a group get separated. How many times do you see whole groups stopped in the middle of a main walkway to all turn around and look for someone in their group? Once again, they should step to the side to wait for the missing person to catch up.

In a nutshell, many people in WDW act like they are the only ones there even though they are surrounded by hundreds of people. And it's rude.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You said it so well! This is one of the irritating things that happen in public places, the stopping abruptly or in doorways, on stairs, etc and then continuing to linger there like the bottle neck that they are creating has nothing to do with them!! I try not to be too put out and say excuse me as I try to nudge past, not too sarcastically... maybe they will get the point
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. It's extremely rude and self-absorbed to just stop where you are and look at a map or whatever. Most of the time you're going to get plowed down if you do that.

I'd like to come up with a line to say to people who do that. Nothing mean, just something that might make them stop and think about their actions and how they affect those around them.
    February 4-11 AoA
    October 13-20 2012 CBR
    November 7-13 2010 Pop
    November 3-10 2009 Polynesian
    September 19-26 2008, CBR Honeymoon
    May 11-18 2007, CBR engaged <3
    April/May 2006, OKW
    July 2004, All Star Movies
    June 1981, Sheraton World
    June 1976 somwhere offsite[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

We notice this too especially when we are with my mother who uses a scooter. She can't just hop the curb to go around a group creating a blockage. I'm sure most people just don't think about it so I'm always polite with my excuse me.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll jump on this band wagon and agree with you. We noticed on our last few trips people texting on cell phones and walking and not paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! I couldn't agree with you more! This is one of my major pet peeves.
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit that my mom is a stopper. I always have to stop with her and usher her over to the side. Luckily, we usually go during non-peak times and she hasn't caused any major accidents (yet). She really isn't a rude person at all, she just gets caught up in the moment. I think we can all relate to that. Instead of getting mad, maybe try to remember that some people just get overwhelmed being at the happiest place on earth and need a moment to get there bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've all done it ourselves, at one place or another. But how do we react when it's brought to our attention, whether that happens in a rude or nice way? Do we move out of the way regardless? Are we capable at all of learning and refining our behavior? Like I said, we've all done it, but I think it's just a sign of the society we have been creating in the US, the me only, inconsiderate to the extreme mentality. Now clearly that doesn't apply to everyone, but I see it more and more than I did years ago.

And the texting is getting insane...like the young woman who fell in a manhole while texting. Yeah, there should have been barriers, but, please. How can you miss a manhole? I don't have a lot of sympathy. And now all of the reports of people dying as a result of texting when they should know better.

We've gotten to the point where every little inane potential hazard has to be spelled out and legislated. It's amazing to me that anyone ever reaches adulthood any more.

Okay, off the soapbox...and on to WDW in 2 months.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

This, too, is a major pet peeve of ours, especially my husband. When people just stop in front of us I now will say "Excuse you" and they look so perplexed!!! Hello....you just almost caused a collision!!!

I know there are those of you who need strollers, but please realize when you stop, no one can go around you on a busy day. Parents with strollers can not stop quickly when others stop in front of them, either.

Bottom line...be mindful of those around you and if you do stop quickly and someone runs into you...don't blame it on the other person. You know what you did!
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Love the thread! It seems I'm always reminding people in our party to step aside if we are going to conference.

The few times I have plowed into someone that stopped for no apparent reason it's a "Sorry you stopped". My DH will give a dog-like growl . . . you should see their faces!!

To others, I usually say, in a cheerful voice as I walk past, "move your issues to the side of the road please".

I think I got it from Ice Age.

I find the same problem at my local grocery store, too . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I am the first to agree with this topic, but as I was readingand nodding my head, one thing occurred to me. We, as a whole are just not tolerant of others anymore.
    So with that, I am going to try and be someone who is. If someone stops in front of me, (especially in doorways), I will patiently say excuse me and smile.
    You know what they. "Pass it on".
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    I'll jump on this band wagon and agree with you. We noticed on our last few trips people texting on cell phones and walking and not paying attention.
    How true. It's much more than just the maps. It's people not thinking about the thousands of people that are not them and how they are at Disney, too. Step to the side or next to a lamp post if you need to stop or wait OR USE YOUR CELL PHONE. I can not tell you the number of times I have been run into by people using their cell phones and not paying attention to anyone except the person on the other end of the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand being a little "overwelmed" by WDW, and at times I have offered to point people in the right direction. However, some of these people act as if they are the only ones there at the park. I also understand that alot of these people paid alot of money for this trip and this is their "one and only vacation" for the whole year . But! Be aware of your surroundings and the fact that the park is "full" of people and you can't just stop in the middle of "Main Street" to check the map!
    Sorry if I went off..... Long day at work. Anyways, you get my point.
    I'll go have a glass of wine and wind down.....
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

I wish this were a phenomenon that occurred only at DW, but unfortunately I agree with the other poster, we have a society now where people really only care about themselves. The same types of things happen at shopping malls, on the road, at the movies....everywhere. My biggest pet peeve in fact, is not when people stop, but when a group of people walk side by side as slowly as possible so you can't get by them. I totally get what everyone is saying.

However, as much as I agree, the way I look at it....we're at DW. We are blessed with the means to pay for a trip to the happiest place on earth. I can't control anyone's behavior, only my own. Most people aren't rude on purpose, they are just clueless to the world around them. My wife always says "OK, take your 'vacation pills'" meaning "you're on vacation, enjoy it!!"

So I put on a smile, and have a good time. You can try, but will never be able to change anyone's behavior in the short term, and if you try to, you just end up being the only one that's not having fun.
    Bretski

July 1990 - Offsite
    February 1992 - Offsite
    February 1996 - Offsite
    August 2004 - AKL & Disney Wonder
    December 2006 - CBR
    August 2009 - Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default omg

Just read this post and have to comment. My family noticed this the last time we went and cracked up every time. We call it "doing a Disney" and see it everywhere. Each time we laugh and try to avoid the person but we laugh like crazy each time. Puts us in our happy place and we just giggle, people must think we are nuts. We just call it doing a Disney and laugh and go with the flow.
    Tina

DM DH DD26 DD21 DGS 4

TRIPS:
    multiple as a child
    just daddy and me Oct 2005
    WITH MY Princesses:
    May 2000 POR
    May 2002 POR
    Oct 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 BC (just Ashley and Me)
    July 2010 POP girls only and Lexi's sweet 16
    Dec 2015 dd and dgs

Post Thanks / Like

Disney park maps cause accidents
    Your title says " Disney park maps cause accidents" then you go on to say it's the people stopping to READ the map that cause people to bump into them.

Pray do explain, how does the paper MAP cause the accident??? Do you propose that if they remove the maps that the people will never stop in front of someone again??
    Last edited by Carol; 07-23-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off topic but for some reason, this thread

reminds me of the "stopping short" episode on Seinfield.

Back on topic, I also hate door way jammers -- those folks that stop in the middle of the door way.

Post Thanks / Like

It is annoying, but I really think it's an honest mistake most of the time. WDW can be an overwhelming place. I explain to my kids that you can't control what people do around you, which is why you have to be aware yourself. We go around or politely say excuse me. Even if it's intentional rude behavior, which seems unlikely most of the time, I simply try to stay polite, especially at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I am the first to agree with this topic, but as I was reading and nodding my head, one thing occurred to me. We, as a whole are just not tolerant of others anymore. So with that, I am going to try and be someone who is. If someone stops in front of me, (especially in doorways), I will patiently say excuse me and smile.You know what they. "Pass it on".
    As I was reading this thread I had the same thought...while it is annoying to have someone "stop short on you" while walking up Mainstreet...there is something that just doesn't sound quite right (perhaps even self-centered) about complaining about the self-absorbedness, selfishness or rudeness of the people who are so caught up in their own little world that they stop and momentarily inconvenience us while we are walking around WDW in our own little worlds.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

It does get annoying, but for some reason at Disney it doesn't bug me as much--at least not if I can see if they are trying to figure out their surroundings. Probably because I know people don't know the place as well as I do. For me, it's more like people on my campus--SOME of us need to get to class!
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: