Quantcast Fantasyland Refurb: It's Official! - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    My guess would be if these plans are in fact the real deal and they are planning to have all this done by 2011 for the 40th Anniversary construction will be well under way by March. I'm sure they will try to complete with minimal guest impact but I would expect to see construction walls and ongoing construction throughout the areas of Fantasyland they are planning on changing.
    Do you think if these plans are true that some of the plans will be unleashed by next August?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fantasyland updated look...

Where is "It's a Small World?" My grandaughter will be crushed if this ride is eliminated.

Post Thanks / Like

Small World is on the other side of Fantasyland and will not be effected
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (& maybe I just missed it in trying to sort through 12 pages of posts ) is flow. Looking at the detailed drawings, this would solve a significant issue in that part of MK. Instead of the two-way traffic into and out of the current Toontown, this would present a loop, giving a more options (and it looks like they would keep the "back way" into Tommorowland as well). Having fought my way into and out of Toontown too many times, I'm all for that change. The water theming (as rumored) also looks nice, and Be Our Guest looks like it will have a nice front facade.

Someone up-thread also comments on the Faries not being perhaps the best role models. If you are talking the original Tink in the original movies, perhaps. But if you are talking Fairy Hollow (and the storylines generated therein), Tink has a radially different attitude - and from the descriptions of the current Fairy meet & greet, it's that model they are following (I wish I could have gone to the Fairies this last time, actually - even as a Dad, it sounds really well done, so much that I would wait in tline for it.

Would it be bad to not have a constantly-available Mickey meet-and-greet? Perhaps. But there wasn't before, and there's somethig to be said for the unplanned. We don't do WDW as a series of checkpoints, and actually never have. It's one of the things I like about Disney - it's not goal oriented, it's an experience (having just come back from an Adeventures By Disney, I'm even more of this view).

--
    Brian Davis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Would it be bad to not have a constantly-available Mickey meet-and-greet? Perhaps. But there wasn't before, and there's somethig to be said for the unplanned. We don't do WDW as a series of checkpoints, and actually never have. It's one of the things I like about Disney - it's not goal oriented, it's an experience (having just come back from an Adeventures By Disney, I'm even more of this view).
    That may be true for you, and many of us here as well, however, many, MANY people who visit Disney for that once in a lifetime trip want and actually EXPECT to see Mickey Mouse. He's the most requested character, and if people can't see him, they will complain to guest relations, and they will do so loudly. So, it's almost imperative that they have a location set up somewhere in the park for people to see him, get their pictures with him, and even get his autograph.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default More confirmation?

I found a bit more confirmation on this from the imagineering blog.

How can you not celebrate the resuscitation of the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, of Disneyland's Lincoln and Disney World's Hall Presidents, the demise, imminent and otherwise, of giant Mickey wands in Future World and Hats in Hollywood? And the list continues: Worlds of Color, America's River teeming with life, Cars Lands, Ariel E-tickets, Red Cars and the Roaring Twenties. WDI has never been busier.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdreamer87 View Post
    Truth be told, the Fab Five kinda hit the dust a few years ago, in my opinion. It seems Disney has went for the Princess/Pirate theme, and now onto Pixie Hollow, leaving Mickey fighting for camera time.
    That certainly isn't true with the pre-school set. The Fab Five, via Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, is as hot and popular as ever. My DS and my cousin's daughter were all fired up to meet Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, et. al. on our trip last week.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdreamer87 View Post
    Truth be told, the Fab Five kinda hit the dust a few years ago, in my opinion...
    Truth be told, if the Walt Disney Company ever forgets "it all started with a mouse" it will be time to sell you Disney stock, your DVC membership and your central Florida maps.

Post Thanks / Like

The idea of Mickey wandering around the park is a romantic one, but I remember well when it used to be done that way and it was a mess. He would get mobbed and not everyone would get to see him. Even with a handler the time it would take to get people lined up would be too much. It's much better to have him in some designated meet & greet spots. And no way have the Fab Five bitten the dust! They are very popular still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    The idea of Mickey wandering around the park is a romantic one, but I remember well when it used to be done that way and it was a mess...
    By the way, do the adults on this board understand the "magic" of the Judges Tent and how one family is told "Mickey will see you now in his dressing room. It's the second door on the right." and the next family might be told, "Mickey will see you now in his dressing room. It's the first door on the left."

And also, I really like how once your family/group gets with the Main Mouse, it's just him and an assistant and a photographer who are unhurried and relaxed and will take PhotoPasss pictures or, if you ask, will take pictures with your camera.

Actually, I plan to pose with my grandson and Mickey Mouse exactly 37 days from today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Actually, I plan to pose with my grandson and Mickey Mouse exactly 37 days from today!
    Smile pretty!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Todd (aka MrGoofy)<br /><br />1983 WDW Off Site<br />1991 WDW Carribean Beach<br />1995 WDW Port Orleans<br />1998 WDW All Star Sports<br />2000 DLR Off Site <br />2000 WDW Coronado Springs<br />2001 DLR Off Site<br />2002 WDW Carribean Beach<br />2003 WDW Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasyland News Article

Orlando Sentinel 09/12/09:

Walt Disney World is about to embark on a sweeping facelift for the Fantasyland section of the Magic Kingdom, in what the resort calls the biggest overhaul in the theme park's 38-year history.

Plans revealed Saturday call for adding a lavish ride based on The Little Mermaid, expanding a popular Dumbo children's attraction, new interactive areas featuring all of Disney's most popular princesses, and more.

In addition, Disney said it plans to update Star Tours, the Star Wars-themed simulator ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios, with new 3-D effects.

The refurbished Star Tours will debut in 2011. The Fantasyland overhaul will be complete by 2013. Disney declined to say how much it will spend on the projects.

The twin announcements are a Disney World response to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the hugely anticipated project being built by rival Universal Orlando in its Islands of Adventure theme park. Industry experts expect Wizarding World, a collection of attractions, shops and restaurants based on the novels by British author J.K. Rowling, to prove a huge draw when it opens in 2010; one that threatens to siphon attendance away from Disney.

But perhaps more importantly, said Robert Niles, publisher of themeparkinsider.com, Disney's Fantasyland expansion could team with Universal's Wizarding World in helping reignite overall travel to Orlando, which has slumped badly amid the global recession.

"There might be some Harry Potter fans who are waffling on the expense of trips to Orlando. But if you can throw in something new at Disney, maybe they'll make the trip," Niles said. "At this point, travel isn't a zero sum game. They've got to get people on planes traveling again."

To drive the expansion, Disney is turning to one of its most enduring and lucrative franchises: princesses. The vast majority of the Fantasyland overhaul will focus on Cinderella, Snow White and the rest of the company's stable of animated heroines.

The biggest-ticket addition will be the Little Mermaid attraction, an enclosed ride that will carry guests through Ariel's underwater realm. It will use an Omnimover ride system similar to that of the Haunted Mansion, and will move through scenes featuring characters and songs from the 1989 movie.

The ride, which has a working title of Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid, will be the same as one being built as part of the $1 billion overhaul of Disney's California Adventure theme park in Anaheim, Calif., though the twin attractions will have different exteriors.

But what's more, Disney World will construct individual areas -- be it a castle, cottage or chateau -- where guests can interact with the company's best-known princesses and other characters from their movies. Children will be able to dance with Cinderella, celebrate Aurora's birthday with the Good Fairies, or play a role with Belle in a performance in the library of the Beast's castle.

The Beast's castle, taken from the 1991 film Beauty and the Beast, will also include a three-room themed restaurant.

"Princesses are certainly one of Disney's strengths. Obviously, there's some limited appeal in terms of gender and age," Niles, of themeparkinsider.com, said. "But anyone who's had a young daughter knows they can be extremely persuasive."

Chris Beatty, a senior concept designer with Walt Disney Imagineering, said a goal is to make the company's iconic princesses appealing to a wider demographic. For example, some villains from the princesses' movies will also be incorporated to help the area appeal to boys.

"We're tailoring our experiences to kind of have that broad appeal," Beatty said. "There're just some great, classic stories, and we know for any guests that travel to the Magic Kingdom, that's always one of the highlights."

Beyond princesses, the plans call for doubling the size of and relocating Dumbo the Flying Elephant to a new "circus grounds" that will include an interactive queue under a big-top tent to entertain children waiting in line. Disney will add a new Pixie Hollow character-greeting area, home to Tinker Bell and other fairies.

To accommodate the expansion, Disney will raze most of Mickey's Toontown Fair, the smallest of the Magic Kingdom's "lands." Gone will be both of the walk-through homes where guests were guaranteed to meet Disney's most famous characters: Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

Disney says Mickey and Minnie will get new homes near the front entrance of the park. The children's roller coaster, the Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm, will remain, though it will be re-themed, likely with a circus overlay linking it to Dumbo.

The first phase of the Fantasyland expansion, including the Mermaid ride and the princess areas, is scheduled to open in 2012. Pixie Hollow will follow in 2013.

For Star Tours, which debuted in Hollywood Studios in 1989, Disney plans to add new video and dialogue sequences recorded by George Lucas' Lucasfilm studio. The updated 3-D effects are expected to incorporate characters from the three Star Wars prequel films released between 1999 and 2005.

An identical Star Tours at Disneyland will also be upgraded.

Online Disney fan forums have been abuzz about a potential Fantasyland expansion for much of the summer, after blueprints were mysteriously leaked. Disney refused to comment on the plans for weeks, instead waiting to make the announcement at a fan convention this weekend in Anaheim.

{NOTE: As mentioned within the article, WDW is again playing catch-up with Uninversal, as they did when they had to announce MGM-Studios.}
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the concept art for Fantasyland and I have to say my jaw dropped. Lets hope they keep with the concept art.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

And it is going to be HUGE!!!! I am stoked!!!! Totally stoked!!!! Fantasyland is going to be the best land in MK!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

So how will this affect the current Fantasyland experience? Will they close large portions of Fantasyland? I just cannot imagine how they can continue business as usual with the expansion shown in the artist renderings shown on the Sentinel's website. This is a HUGE undertaking.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Time to combine all of these threads! Lots more info in the "any D23 announcements?" thread. There is also a thread about this in theme parks. This is definitely EXCITING NEWS!!:mickey
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
    So how will this affect the current Fantasyland experience? Will they close large portions of Fantasyland? I just cannot imagine how they can continue business as usual with the expansion shown in the artist renderings shown on the Sentinel's website. This is a HUGE undertaking.
    Sometimes that's just the nature of the beast. Disney certainly can't make it appear overnight, and while some guests might be perturbed by the fact that the construction is impeding on "their" vacation, in the long run this is for the better. If they had had this kind of attitude about everything we'd probably be getting a much better Space Mountain than the one that's coming back after an extremely sub-par refurb.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds and looks awesome! Call me impatient, but I can't wait for it to open! This is all exciting news!

I wonder when they'll break ground and start work. I also wonder when they'll close Star Tours. It will be interesting to watch the development of these new attractions.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I wonder when they'll break ground and start work. I also wonder when they'll close Star Tours. It will be interesting to watch the development of these new attractions.
    I wonder if they've already started working behind Pooh's corner and what is now Ariel's Grotto. Two and a half years just seems awful soon to have something like that opened for business. They MUST have gotten a start on it behind the scenes already. I just find the timetable hard to believe otherwise!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: