Quantcast Most helpful tip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Most helpful tip?

What was your favorite, most helpful tip for traveling to Disney?

I have 2. The first was take a power strip to have one place to place to plug in all those electronics. The second was to take a night light. We would put this in the bathroom area when the kids were small so they could find their way should they wake in the middle of the night.

Your turn...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say...bring a suitcase filled with snacks. That way you get the food when your down there and an empty bag to take back any goods.
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

Post Thanks / Like

At the cs restuarants, ask for a cup of ice water instead of buying bottled water.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring packets of kool aid, special k drink, powerade, wylers...and buy water instead of soda at the parks.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Take a break in the middle of the day, especially if you have kids along, and/or if you go in the summer. Even the first time I went, when we stayed off-site, we went to the motel for some pool time, then returned for the evening parade.
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bring a chip clip to hold curtains closed.
    2. Moleskin for potential blisters.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Whne DD was young and still in a stroller we always tied a bright bandana with bright ribbons to her stroller. This made it much easier to spot. We also always bring our own ponchos. We always need them at least once. The disney ones are super expensive and I get ours at our local discount store for only a few dollars each.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Pack an over-the-door shoe organizer to hang on the bathroom door for toiletries, etc. There is very little room to keep your things in the bathroom - especially at resorts with pedestal sinks, like POFQ. I have used this on every trip I have taken - at WDW or elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned some new tips on this thread. Thanks everyone. My children are young. One thing I do is pack each outfit (shirt, undies, shorts, hair accessories etc.) in its own gallon storage bag. That way, my daughter can just pull out the entire bag to get dressed for the day. It also keeps the suitcase and drawers more organized. I also bring an extra outfit to the parks and keep that one in the storage bag as well. If it rains, it doesn't get wet.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
    Pack an over-the-door shoe organizer to hang on the bathroom door for toiletries, etc. There is very little room to keep your things in the bathroom - especially at resorts with pedestal sinks, like POFQ. I have used this on every trip I have taken - at WDW or elsewhere.
    I love the over the door hanger thingy... it really has helped us stay organized!

The other thing we do... send down snacks, diapers, stuff for the pool, etc in its own box. That way we don't have to carry it and none of it is stuff we need to bring back with us.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    1. Bring a chip clip to hold curtains closed.
    That's a great tip, as I need the room to be dark to sleep! Thanks, I'll try that!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

1. If you are going in the summer, when you wear less clothes (shorts, short sleeves,etc.) bring & use sunscreen.

2. Close down a park at night. During summer they are open late, but the parks and rides really "sparkle" after dark.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

My tips!

Take duct tape. It can be used for lots of emergencies (torn suitcase, help with blisters, etc). We never used it last year, but was nice to have just in case.

Take cereal bars or other snack bars for the morning. These were nice and quick snacks on the way to the parks.

Take an extra suitcase for souvenirs. My carry-on on the way to WDW just had one set of clothes and essential toiletries. And on the way back was packed full of Donald Duck stuff

Take a trial size of sunscreen. The smaller size fits nicely into pockets while in the parks.

Don't forget the cell phone charger!
    August 2009- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 Magical days!

August 2008- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 fantastic days!

May 1996 (Memorial Day Weekend) Only 1 day, but visited all 3 parks!

One of the world's biggest Donald Duck fans!

Post Thanks / Like

All great ideas. My fav's of these that we always do are:

The disposable ponchos! Very important! Our 1st trip we had better ponchos that we were stuck carrying around when the rain ended because I spent too much on them to throw them away!

I learned on these board about the over the door shoe organizer & we use it for every trip, not just WDW, it's so much better than digging in that toiletry bag every day!

I always carry a snack size baggie with tylenol, ibuprohen, & immodium in my pack, it seems someone needs something at least once during the trip & I've had to traipse all the way back to the front of the parks before to buy these things! Big pain!

We always do the suitcase full of food/snacks so that we have space for the souvenears on the trip home!

Everyone wears a pack with their own camera & snacks to graze on during the day. We repack them every evening, everyone gets to choose what they pack so ds's aren't asking to buy snacks at the parks! Then we enjoy that occasional Mickey bar that much more! DH & I also carry water bottles that we refill throught the day so we're not buying cokes all day! Particularly on hot days, I think the water is a lot more hydrating than soft drinks all day.

Most important tip, IMHO, is that daily break! Whether you relax at the pool for a couple of hours, nap or just chill, for us it makes all the difference in the world! Then we're ready to go again in the evening!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I dont know where I read it, but shipping down a box of stuff to your resort works great for us. I usualy include things like laundry soap, bounce sheets, extra sunscreen & many small I=items that we don't want to buy while we are there.

About the extra suitcase- with the airline fees is it worth it?

#2 tip is the power strip with the cellphone and other chargers on it.

I will have to mention to DW about the over the door shoe rack thing...
    thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    I dont know where I read it, but shipping down a box of stuff to your resort works great for us. I usualy include things like laundry soap, bounce sheets, extra sunscreen & many small I=items that we don't want to buy while we are there.

About the extra suitcase- with the airline fees is it worth it?

#2 tip is the power strip with the cellphone and other chargers on it.

I will have to mention to DW about the over the door shoe rack thing...
    thanks to all
    We were thinking about shipping a box...what does that usually cost? I like that idea better- we are trying to check only 1 bag when we go in August!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

UPS was not expensive (less than $15) but it depends on weight. It was and is one of the best tips- plus its nice when you get to the resort- you have a package waiting for you.

Just remeber to ship it to yourself, care of the resort. Put your ressie # on the package and the dates you are staying. I ship it about 1 week before hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom15 View Post
    At the cs restuarants, ask for a cup of ice water instead of buying bottled water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy_Mouses_Dad View Post
    Bring packets of kool aid, special k drink, powerade, wylers...and buy water instead of soda at the parks.
    I highly agree with these. I would get a cup of ice water from the CS places, then put it in my water bottle, then mix in a powder (usually lemonade for me).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Too far, 1000 miles (18 hours) from port orleans riverside
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Bring a suitcase full of snacks, bring bottled water to the park

(my family doesnt have to worry about the night light thing becuase we always go to port orleans and the blow dryer has this illuminating liight on the exterior although bring a suitcase full of snacks and bring you own bottled water to the parks will always be my top tips
    other than have fun
    Become What You Wish The World To Be

RIP VMK: Mysteriochao 2006-2008

1998 Port orleans riverside
    1999 POR
    2002 POR
    2003 POR
    2005 POR
    2006 POR
    2007 POR
    2008-2009 (dec 28 - jan 07) POR
    2009 POR

Next Trip--- Not planned

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I always ship a case of bottled water to the resort...I typically use Staples because they have free shipping. Very convenient!

We also like to leave the parks when we want to have lunch and have a more relaxing meal at our own resort, or another resort before taking our midday break.

Tess
    poly 07
    poly 08
    pop 09
    pop Christmas 09

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: