Quantcast should i take my dslr camera?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default should i take my dslr camera?

i'm on the fence about whether or not to take my big ol' dslr camera. i want amazing pics but i'm not sure it's worth lugging around. we will be doing the photopass and i could just use my mom's good, small camera.
    if i take it, i should carry it on the plane, correct? and my camcorder?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Never pack cameras in your checked luggage. Only you can decide whether you want to bring a particular camera with you or not.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I took a large point and shoot 'bridge' camera (the Fuji Finepix s5200) that's about as large as a dslr, and I never had any problems with it on rides, or anywhere else.

I have a Canon dslr, and wouldn't dream of taking a Disney trip without it.

Post Thanks / Like

I took over 1600 photos with my dslr in 2006 and plan to take it again when we go next year. I can't imagine having a dslr and not wanting to bring it with me on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

dont go without it. you can purchase a backpack that will make it easier to tote around the parks but this will be fantastic for fireworks shots, if you stand behind the kids you will get a beautiful sillhouette of them in front of the castle and f'works. THAT alone makes it worth it for me. I will have days where we plan on taking it for photography days and days where we take the smaller camera so I can have a bit of a break from pictures. You don't have to take it out everyday. Also, if you have a tripod, you can take some marvelous professional family pics in the resort, to hang on your wall.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    I will have days where we plan on taking it for photography days and days where we take the smaller camera so I can have a bit of a break from pictures. You don't have to take it out everyday.
    I agree with jonahbear. Take both! I bring my dslr to each park once so I can take some 'good' pics of landscapes and icons, etc. Then the rest of the time I carry our small digital camera for candids of the family, when photopass is not around. And of course I use photopass too I usually average about 1000 pics a trip! Now my DD5 is really into photography (she likes all forms of Art) so she'll probably carry the small camera . . . with wrist strap of course
    Whatever you decide . . . take the camera with you on the plane . . . don't check it.
    Have a great time!
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a DSLR and it's definitely coming to WDW. I'll probably bring my small digital camera too just in case I don't want to bother with the big one everyday, but I'm guessing I'll mainly use the DSLR. I brought my 35mm SLR a few years back and toting it around wasn't a big deal. I bought a small camera bag that also held my sunglasses and money and I was set. I had less to carry than most people I saw. These days we bring a stroller so it'll be no problem to plop my camera bag in the storage compartment. Definitely carry on though; I'd never check a camera.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I lug mine with us and I wouldn't think about leaving it at home! Yeah, it weighs a ton (well, not really) and no you can't pop it in your pocket, but the pictures that you get are worth lugging it around if you ask me.

We take a little point and shoot also and my son takes his little Fisher Price camera with him, but I think we're going to try to get him his own point 'n shoot to take this year -- he just nags us too much about how his camera can't do this and that -- and he is responsible enough to have his own.

So, we'll have tons of pics this year with three cameras going!

Everyone always comments on "how'd you do that?" with the pics I take with my canon and how "wow, they are really nice clear shots"....so if you go in October and see a pack mule with a big dslr...that'd be us!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I would just bring the smaller one. Unless you're planning to lug along a tripod also and make poster-sized prints, or if you have a really specific type of lens you want to use (i.e. fisheye or a low-light lens for taking pics on the dark rides) then a simple point and shoot digital camera provides more than enough image quality for what most of us do - putting pics online, prints, even enlargements up to 11 x 14. Be honest, when it comes to seeing pics our friends or family send us from Disney, have you ever said 'wow that must have been from a DSLR' or 'eh, must have been from a point and shoot'? The difference in quality matters in some situations, but Disney pics are generally not one of those situations.

The DSLR would be just one more thing you have to make sure you don't sit on when you get on a ride, gotta take the lens cap off everytime you want to take a picture, or...... you can travel light, have the little digital in your pocket and pull it out when need be!

To each their own, but I know I'd rather have my hands in the air on Big Thunder Mountain than holding on to my camera to make sure it stays put.

Post Thanks / Like

I take both my Sony DSLR and Cybershot. That way I have the option of taking either one. Some days I take the DSLR and others the Cybershot. It really depends upon what we are doing that day and which you feel like carrying. I've taken some great pics of parades that I couldn't have with the Cybershot.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

My Nikon D40 has made a few trips to WDW now. I would not go without it.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the great advice!!
    and i really like the idea of taking the kids' fisher price cameras too

i think i'll take it. i'd rather take it and decide to not use it, than leave it and wish i had it.
    i guess we can keep it in a backpack that dh can wear when we aren't storing it in the stroller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessat37 View Post
    thanks for all the great advice!!
    and i really like the idea of taking the kids' fisher price cameras too
    That's such a good tip. When we brought my nieces we gave each their own kiddie camera and it was so much fun seeing the pictures they took. We made a book with each kid's pics and those are some of my favorite Disney pics ever....usually off center and odd angles, but so so cute! They loved doing it too.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife always brings here Nikon DSLR and I bring my coolpix and camcorder..often times we'll bring the DSLR for specific occasions in the park or whatever and use the coolpix for everything else...photopass is great as well but we like having our own.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: