Quantcast Is it worth it??????????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth it??????????

We have stayed at several value hotels and don't really care for them. We tried CSR and it was fine. We are currently planning a September trip and I'm trying to decide between POFQ and AKL. We're not planning to get water park tickets this time thus we'll be spending more time at the resort. We're a family of 4. . . myself, DH, DS (13) AND DD
    (10). Is it worth it to pay the extra for AKL??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the money and plan on spending time at the resort, then I would say yes. We have stayed at deluxe property several times and wish we could stay there more often if money would allow. You will really enjoy your stay should you choose to stay at AKL. However, let me also recommend Swan and Dolphin. They are not Disney operated, but are first class all the way. If you are a teacher, nurse, or military, I believe they offer some pretty nice discounts. Their location is second to none with walking access to Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, Fantasia Gardens mini golf and Epcot. You can also catch a boat to DHS from the dock at the swan.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '04 Dolphin / Grand Floridan
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '12 Wilderness Lodge (January/February)
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is in my opinion anyway, THE best resort on property. It's my first choice whenever we go to WDW. I've never taken issue with the transportation, but others say it's not so good.

You've got two of the best table service locations on property right there, the best gift shop, and the resort just has tons of activities going day and night. For someone spending significant time at the resort, I think you'll be hard pressed to find more activities to do without going elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

That really depends on the deal you can get. During peak times for us it's just not worth the premium. Every night puts a huge dent in the paycheck.

But non-peak prices I think are worth it if you're going to be spending time at the resort. In my opinion the food and shops are the best here (minus the obvious Boardwalk of course).

My folks, on the other hand, are perfectly happy at the moderates every year since they spend about enough time in the hotel to sleep...and that's it. They're in the parks from open to close. We prefer to nap, have drinks, let the little ones play in the pool, etc.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

We really love POR and wouldn't think about going any where else. The resort is our home away from home, the landscaping is awesome, the pools are great, the food court is very good and the piano player , Bob Jackson, is outstanding. We are going in 8 days and will miss POR but my parents are taking us to the Poly club level. I guess we'll survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth it?

Yes, every penny!
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pox24 View Post
    Yes, every penny!
    Absolutely. Have stayed both places and would choose AK in a heartbeat. Beautiful resort.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I love CSR resort and it is currently my resort of choice. For me the deluxe resorts are just too expensive and since I have absolutely no complaints about CSR I just can find a reason to splurge for a deluxe. That said, we are trying AKL for the 1st time in Sept when we go with my parents who are DVC members. We've visited the resort before and it is very nice, but there's no way I would do it if I were paying out of pocket.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you're going to be spending more time at a resort you won"t be disappointed with AKL.
    They have lobby tours and poolside activities for the kids where they can make masks and learn about the animals. Plus there's tons of places to watch the animals.
    Ken & Kim
    AKL July 04 Honeymoon!
    AKL Sept 05,
    AKV Sept 06, 07, 08, 09
    BLT Sept 10
    AKV Sept 11
    AKV Feb 12 (Princess 1/2)
    BLT Sept 12 (TOT 10)
    BLT May 13
    BWV Sept 13 (TOT 10)
    BCV Sept 14 (TOT 10)
    BLT March 15
    BWV/AKV Oct 15
    BWV/BLT Sept 16
    BWV/POLY Sept 17
    BWV/CCV Sept 18

Post Thanks / Like

We are going the end of Sept and had a hard time deciding where to stay and finally decided to do a splut stay, 4 nights at CSR and 4 at AKL. We have only stayed at POP and ASMovies the rest of our visits were off property, so we are really excited.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

AKL has nice atmosphere but its big and has not as good bus transportation. Also I like their restaurants. POFQ is small, has a better pool, better bus transport, outdoor entry to rooms. I like AKL, DH and DD like POFQ. Just depends on whats important to you. Restaurants or pool? Shorter rides to parks or animals outside room? Saving money or unique atmosphere?
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I adore AKL and feel like the deluxe resorts are worth it to me. Whether it is worth it is a very subjective opinion, but I love this resort. One way to save money is to do a standard room. There are many areas to view animals outside of room and I don't like to spend too much time in my room. I enjoy using the common viewing areas even more. Sometimes there are CMs from Africa to answer your questions.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm booked

Thanks for all of the input! I went ahead and booked AKL. I've never stayed at a Deluxe resort so I'm really excited!!!! Just 74 more days!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneykat View Post
    Thanks for all of the input! I went ahead and booked AKL. I've never stayed at a Deluxe resort so I'm really excited!!!! Just 74 more days!
    I'm excited to read this! You'll love it!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P