Quantcast DIANA–The People’s Princess Exhibit - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First, Di's dresses (which i'm sure are all lovely), then, the first lady's wardrobe that no one i know really seems to care about.
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

great gal,sad about her early passing,but i'll skip the opportunity to view her gowns.
    thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Press Release:

“DIANA–The People’s Princess” Is One-of-a-Kind Experience Coming to Downtown Disney
    Hundreds of royal artifacts on view in largest Princess Diana exhibit

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    June 17, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The People’s Princess Charitable Foundation, Inc. (PPCF) is bringing “DIANA–The People’s Princess” – a major new exhibit of royal artifacts – to Walt Disney World Resort. Opening in early July 2009, this limited-time experience showcases the life and story of Princess Diana, one of the most iconic and inspirational figures in recent history, including a sampling of the royal dresses Diana chose to auction for charity and hundreds of authentic artifacts relating to her life.

“DIANA–The People’s Princess” exhibit will be held in a 17,500-square-foot setting at Downtown Disney West Side adjacent to DisneyQuest. This unique exhibition is one of the largest collections of royal dresses and rare artifacts ever assembled for an American audience which provides an in-depth historical perspective of her life. The exhibit includes five rarely seen royal dresses worn by Princess Diana.

As part of this unique experience, guests will come to understand:

• The stories of Diana’s own childhood and ancestry and how that lineage was influential in her selection as the future bride of HRH Charles, The Prince of Wales, the future King of England.
    • Her magical royal wedding which was viewed by over 750 million people from around the globe; her favorite role as “mum” to princes William and Harry.
    • Kensington Palace, the royal residence where Diana lived from the moment she became the Princess of Wales until her death and which today plays an active role in preserving her charitable legacy.
    • The historical significance of her role as Princess of Wales and the impact she had through that role on the fashion industry and charitable landscape.
    • How at the Christie’s “Sale of The Century,” 79 of Diana’s royal dresses were sold to benefit charities which helped position her as an astute philanthropist.
    • Her untimely passing and the massive media and public interest in the tragedy.
    • The charitable impact still being recognized through her gowns and personal effects.

A hint at some of the items on display:

• Royal Doulton figurine of Diana in her wedding dress – Made in 1981 at the time of the royal wedding, the doll is wearing an exact replica of the famous wedding dress.
    • The Black Velvet “V” Neck – Designed by Bruce Oldfield and worn by Diana for her official royal portrait in 1985.
    • Wedding Breakfast booklet – Contains guest names and two tickets to observe the bride and bridegroom before and following the wedding ceremony in the quadrangle at Buckingham Palace and Clarence House.
    • Three-foot doll of Diana as a young girl – Released by the Great American Doll Company in 1998 as a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales.

“The late Princess used her globally renowned platform brilliantly,” commented Maureen Rorech Dunkel, founder of PPCF. “She understood that the many different experiences she had in her life, both positive and negative, made her more relatable to the public. She used this quality to connect to the common masses and in doing so became known as ‘The People’s Princess.’ She used her compassion to bring support to all those in need and is still to this date, almost 12 years after her tragic passing, regarded as one of the most influential humanitarians of all time."

“We look forward to The People’s Princess Charitable Foundation bringing this unique experience to our Downtown Disney guests,” said Kevin Lansberry, vice president of Downtown Disney. “We remain committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at the Walt Disney World Resort.”

Tickets may be purchased at the exhibit – $14.50 (ages 10 and above), $5 (ages 3-9). The exhibition will be through Nov. 30, 2009. Hours are 11 a.m.-11 p.m. daily.

Figment! aka Jason şoş
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

And so it is officially official. It is only temporary so no worries here. Better the building be used for something, even though this is nothing more than an I-4 roadside attraction.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another reason to not bother with DTD anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... this thread sure has a lot of negative Nellie's running though it.

I saw an exhibit of the gowns in London and it was very moving and so incredibly well done. The proceeds of the exhibit help to fun The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund. This is one of the foremost charitable funds in the world, and strives to continue the legacy build by Princess Diana. The fund provides funding of very worthwhile causes in parts of the world that would not get assistance otherwise.

I can appreciate that this type of event is not of interest to some of you, but it's not a throw away -- and will impact thousands of people while at WDW -- both those paying the entrance fee and some of the our greater global community in need.

I found this quote about their past grant activity:

The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund was established in September 1997 and between its inception and December 2007 has awarded more than Ł75 million to 367 organisations in the UK and overseas.

The Fund has continued the humanitarian work of Diana, Princess of Wales by focusing on disadvantaged and marginalised people, providing them with support, a voice and an opportunity to realise their full potential.

Groups of people supported by the Fund have included young people, those who are dying or bereaved, survivors of conflict and people with learning disabilities. Other funding themes have included landmines, mental health and HIV/AIDS. In all of the areas that the Fund has invested in the aim has been to leave a lasting legacy of social change that impacts directly on people's lives.

Learning from these and other areas fed into the process of strategic planning, consultation and dialogue with the voluntary sector that led to the Fund's Strategic Plan 2007 to 2012. Under this new strategy the Fund continues to be committed to maximising the impact of its work and sharing learning about past grants with a wide range of stakeholders.
    I think it's a great opportunity for a HUGE group of WDW and Florida tourists to experience the event -- Diana was a MEGA celebrity on a world stage and it's great that her spirit of giving continues.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Who's that?
    Sounds like Disney may be scraping the bottom of the barrel of monkeys for ideas.
    Wow--whether or not you're interested in seeing her gowns, there is no need to be disrespectful of someone who's deceased.

I didn't get a chance to see the exhibit when it came through Houston, but it was very well received. And as mentioned several times already, the proceeds go to a good cause.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that if it wasn't for the thousands of British tourists that flood WDW with their money, there would be a good chance of additional price increases. Then wouldn't you people be whinning?
    If I hadn't already planned our trip to DL this August, I would certainly consider a trip to see this display. I would love this display to come to somewhere close to me.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

It's official--we are booked for a long weekend in October to see the exhibit (Mom's dream) and go to MNSSHP (my reason to go ).
    şoş Tiffany şoş

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I think it's a great opportunity for a HUGE group of WDW and Florida tourists to experience the event -- Diana was a MEGA celebrity on a world stage and it's great that her spirit of giving continues.

Can't wait to check it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    I would imagine that if it wasn't for the thousands of British tourists that flood WDW with their money, there would be a good chance of additional price increases. Then wouldn't you people be whinning?
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Maureen Rorech, the lady who owns the gowns (bought them back in early 2001) for TPP Trust, lives in Tampa, interesting. On a side note, Diana left a legacy in two amazing sons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Wow--whether or not you're interested in seeing her gowns, there is no need to be disrespectful of someone who's deceased.

I didn't get a chance to see the exhibit when it came through Houston, but it was very well received. And as mentioned several times already, the proceeds go to a good cause.
    Beth, I agree... Even though this isn't my cup of tea, and something I will be skipping in October, there are many more people who will be interested in this... Forget the tourists.. Orlando does have residents who may be very well interested...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely be there!!
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really enjoy seeing that! I am not sure if we will have time on our next trip or not, we will just have to play it by ear.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have no interest in this, and I'm sure we won't bother with it.

But, I am glad that the Virgin site will be in use. Its a lot better than it sitting empty.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not something I personally will be interested in, but please - we are talking about the belongings of a nice person, not a ride idea. I would think we could all be respectful with our opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Respecfully: lame.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, Lord Spencer brought some of the collection to a musuem in St Petersburg. Some of us went to see the gorgeous gowns and were surprised to actually see Lord Spencer. He shook everyone's hands and thanked them for coming.
    The dresses were so beautiful. For me, there are not to many opportunites to see such work. We were speechless. I just called my girlfriends and we have decided to head over one day during the exhibit.

I am really surprised at the disrespectful comments. It's sad that some have to be hateful. If you don't want to go, don't. I don't think anyone will miss you being there.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we could see this...hopefully it will come closer!

For those who do go, I hope you enjoy it!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: