Quantcast Daily Spending Money

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Spending Money

For the longest time I have a debit card for my checking account. I really just didn't trust myself with one (remembering to make a record of when I used it, not spending too much, etc.).
    So, when we would make our Disney trips, I would make an envelope for each day and put in the cash the I had budgeted for that day. In most cases that would be fourteen envelopes with cash for food and misc. My budgeting for these trips is really a bit on the fat side, so most of the time I would have daily money carrying over to the next day. Like day five envelope would have $70 in it and I would still have $70 in my pocket from day four.
    This system has really worked out great. Towards the end of the trip when we go to pick up a few souveniers, we have a healthy wad of leftover money.

I finally buckled and got me a debit card a couple of years ago, but it is staying in my pocket. The daily envelope system has worked out great for us, and I still haven't grown up enough to trust myself with a debit card in the parks.

Anybody else have trip budgeting systems that they stick to?
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We would bring Disney $$, & hand them out to the kids for each days food allowance. It was amazing how, when they had an amount to budget, they got real careful about ordering soft drinks, and the biggest ... As for the grownups, we just keep receipts and tally after using the charge card.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRocker View Post
    So, when we would make our Disney trips, I would make an envelope for each day and put in the cash the I had budgeted for that day. In most cases that would be fourteen envelopes with cash for food and misc. My budgeting for these trips is really a bit on the fat side, so most of the time I would have daily money carrying over to the next day. Like day five envelope would have $70 in it and I would still have $70 in my pocket from day four.
    I have always done the same thing. I have always worried I would run out of my money too early. The way I figure out how much money to budget for each day is, (1)If it is a park or non park day (2) Where we are eating at, (3) Any special events ie-MVMCP I allow myself extra money for those events (4) Extra money just for water and powerade.
    I always end up "rolling" money over from one day to the next, Because I spend it more carefully if I have an exact amount saved for that day. I usually have a good amount of money left over after the trip also, which is a nice plus!
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I would seriously consider the debit card, or a credit card for a trip. If that money gets lost or stolen, you're up the proverbial creek. While I admire the fact that people don't want to use debit/credit cards, there are just so many advantages to it. The money comes right out of your checking account (debit card), so if you do break the rules, you're only hurting yourself. Knowing that should be enough to keep you in line. While I don't like credit cards, sometimes they just are a necessary evil. And honestly, as long as it's paid off each month, I don't see any problems with them. Once you start to carry a balance, and accept that you will, you're done for.

We do bring a little cash with us. We don't let it ride though. Anything not spend that day just stays in the account.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recommend a Disney gift card for kids? I am worried about cash and my kids loosing it.

Post Thanks / Like

My first visit to Disney, I used the envelope method and carried over the money I did not use that day into the remaining envelopes, worked great. The last time I visited, I used a debit and credit card. I probably spent twice as much. I would vote for the envelopes. I would take an envelope with me for the day and put the other ones in the safe in the room.
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

The DW and I would always bring travelers checks, with half in her name and half in mine. Very seldom did we use even half of her's. Another thing I do that drives DW crazy is that I never spend singles ($1 bills). At home I put them in a jar and save them to deposit in savings at a later date for a future trip. Since our trip in December, I have saved $300 in singles for our trip in 13 days...
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I like the envelope idea. For my DS6 I am doing the gift card and disney dollar idea. Thanks for he tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Missy_Mouses_Dad View Post
    The DW and I would always bring travelers checks, with half in her name and half in mine. Very seldom did we use even half of her's. Another thing I do that drives DW crazy is that I never spend singles ($1 bills). At home I put them in a jar and save them to deposit in savings at a later date for a future trip. Since our trip in December, I have saved $300 in singles for our trip in 13 days...
    Not sure how you manage to accumulate singles with a teenage child...mine are constantly hitting me up for a couple dollars here or there.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

If that money gets lost or stolen, you're up the proverbial creek.
    Not if I'm prepared for it, with money available through credit cards or debit.

I'm sorry, I can't live my life being frightened of "if's".
    You could say I would be up a creek if I lost <x>, or if <x> was stolen. If I let any of those fears get in my way, I would just stay at home locked up in my closet. I prepare for such occurences, but they will not rule my life.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jusandnew View Post
    Do you recommend a Disney gift card for kids? I am worried about cash and my kids loosing it.
    I guess it depends on the age of your kids, but I loved having gift cards to hand out for lunch or if we were going to separate for a while during the day. I kept a tiny sharpie marker in my bag and wrote the remaining balance on the cards so we knew what we had left. The balance is always shown at the bottom of your receipt.
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

You could say I would be up a creek if I lost <x>, or if <x> was stolen. If I let any of those fears get in my way, I would just stay at home locked up in my closet. I prepare for such occurences, but they will not rule my life.

I think what they were trying to say is that if you lose cash, you can bet you aren't getting it back. Whereas if you lose a debit or credit card, you can cancel them. If they're used, than you're only liable for a small amount, if any at all. I'm not sure about the gift cards, but you might be able to get a replacement with whatever amount was on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant think of budgets when I am at WDW. I worry about after I get home!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're good with budgeting, so we simply use our charge card when on vacation and pay the bill in full when it arrives. I completely understand that this may not work for all people. I think putting your daily allowance in an envelope is an excellent idea. Of course you could lose it, but as you said any number of things "could" happen. And you're only carrying around money for 1 day, not hundreds of dollars for the entire stay. I think it is great that you have a system that works and prevents you from living above your means.

We give our children an "allowance" while at Disney. We don't give them cash or gift cards, we simply tell them what they are allowed to spend. We take a day to go shopping and once they have spent their allowance, they're done. Things can get completely out of control if you don't put some thought into these things ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am like you, I have never had a problem losing the money or it getting stolen. That doesn't even enter my mind that much as far as something valid I should worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by princessesmom View Post
    And you're only carrying around money for 1 day, not hundreds of dollars for the entire stay. I think it is great that you have a system that works and prevents you from living above your means.
    Exactly, I only carry around that days money and I leave the rest in a safe and secret spot where no one would find it. And if I do happen to lose that day's money it isnt a huge amount.
    I have never lost money or had it stolen while using the "envelope" system. It makes it much easier for me to keep track of what I have for that day.
    Besides, I am too busy worrying about what ride or show to do next, to have to worry about spending too much money one day

I still have a debit card and credit card that I can use if I ever needed extra money in an emergency. It's not like I rely solely on cash. It just makes it easier on me to have each day's worth of cash available in an envelope. Plus when I am visiting some other places out side of the "world" some places are alittle sketchy and I don't trust using a debit or credit card there, So It helps to have the cash on hand
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I bring cash and my debit card. I am one that likes to have a back up..don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. I am not very good at budgeting on my WDW trips, honestly. Money goes out much faster than I would like. We always spend more than planned. It all adds up so quickly.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that they make envelopes BIG enough for how much I am capable of spending in a day. I might just consider the envelopes for my next trip. Think of all the money I could save. Okay, I considered it........don't think I could do it.
    I would be afraid that I would lose them. We actually use Travellers Cheques as being Canadians we have to exchange our money. Do they still have travellers cheques?
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

We bring cash for walking around the park, and all purchases, meals and substantial expenses go on the Amex (where we get up to 3% back). Also, and hopefully this is never an issue, buying on a credit card gives you some protection against theft, in case someone grabs a bag of souvenoirs out of your stroller or something (that's never happened to us, thank God).

We don't really do a daily limit, but I have an idea what I want to spend on the trip, and we rarely go over ... but then again, I set a pretty big limit. I've always been of the school that when we go on vacation, we go large. Fewer vacations but better ones ... that kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I hate dealing with cash, but I'm also good at controlling my spending even while using credit cards.

We typically use a reward credit card, either AMEX or Disney Visa, and pay the bill in full when it arrives. I also like the convenience of charging everything with my room key.

We don't do the DDP because it doesn't make sense for our family--we like to eat smaller meals and often share.

On our last week-long trip, DS (9) and I received a $200 gift card at check-in. Between that and our Disney Visa rewards, we didn't spend anything extra. We budgeted $50/day for food and shopping and we had $$ left over for a shopping spree on our last day.

It was wonderful coming home and knowing I had already paid for the whole vacation!

Tess
    poly07
    poly08
    pop09
    popChristmas09

Post Thanks / Like

For the longest time I have a debit card for my checking account. I really just didn't trust myself with one (remembering to make a record of when I used it, not spending too much, etc.).
    This system has really worked out great. Towards the end of the trip when we go to pick up a few souveniers, we have a healthy wad of leftover money.

I finally buckled and got me a debit card a couple of years ago, but it is staying in my pocket. The daily envelope system has worked out great for us, and I still haven't grown up enough to trust myself with a debit card in the parks.

I do the EXACT same thing! And on the front of the envelope I write down the schedule for the day, along with the ADR ressie numbers and times. Helps keep us focused and not to over spend. Also, it helps our kids see that they have just that set amount of money to buy a souvenier.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: