Quantcast Is this line jumping? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has inadvertently praised my (and many others) parenting skills. While I may have failed in many areas of parenting, teaching my children responsibility and showing courtesy to others is one thing I have been successful at.

And let's face it, when you do this line cutting manuever, you are teaching your children that it is the correct thing to do.

On the same token, when you get wound up and confrontational with some of these people who find line cutting quite alright, well, you are teaching your kids something there too. Take care when showing your children how to deal with rude people.

Yes, I said it. No matter what the line cutting excuse is, you are rude.

So here's a question; I have heard people spout off these "special" circumstances that "justify" breaking a Disney rule. What does NOT qualify as a "special" circumstance? Pops needed to stop off and grab a smoke? Junior stopped to flirt with some cutie at the souvenier shop? Mom stopped to buy a T-shirt? Someone had to make a potty break? Little girl doesn't feel like standing in line?

Do you share the reason with all of those behind you in line, so that they understand that your family breaking the rules is "justified"?

Have you petitioned Disney to make amendments to the line jumping rules?

Like I have said before, I don't let this little stuff bother while I'm on vacation. But, sitting here at the house, counting down the days (25), I have to wonder. Is this indicative of other things you teach your children?

Where is the line that you draw for your children, when explaining which rules you are "justified" to break?
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What facilitates this continued discussion and, in turn, the act itself are people who excuse it for whatever reason.

Little Suzy needs to use the potty. Fine, you all stand outside the restroom as she goes.

And to those people in line, don't stand for people going past you. I make it a point to block the whole line when I am standing there. I make the person trying to get by me have to say something to me.

You excuse one person, you are, in turn, excusing everybody. And, I will "sweat it" on vacation because sweating at home will not do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Something to keep in mind, just because someone does something not completely by the rules doesn't make them a rude person.

Who here has never driven above the speed limit? That is breaking the rules is it not?

As for making a big stink about it, read a paper, heck read Intercot, good way to start a fight. That's really going to teach your kids something.

Hmmmm....some pretty well known book has a quote..."he who is without sin..." Sometimes the view is different from the high horse.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Something to keep in mind, just because someone does something not completely by the rules doesn't make them a rude person.

Who here has never driven above the speed limit? That is breaking the rules is it not?
    I believe that it's no so much in the breaking of the rule, but in how that action effects other people that makes it rude or not. To use your example, if you are driving above the speed limit on a lonely road then you are not being rude. You're not being particularly safe either- but your actions are only effecting you. However, if you are doing the same thing on a busy expressway then yes, you ARE being rude since you are effecting (and endangering) others.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Jumping

When I'm at WDW I want to relax and enjoy my vacation and not worry about being the who's getting by with what police,

but,

If I were standing in line with my grandson repeatedly reminding him we're waiting for our turn then we get shoved over by the Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey and I know we're about 4 minutes from the character attendant merrily annoucing, "Peter and Wendy are going to Neverland for a break!" I'd be a bit miffed.

I know the Knockyadowns have long planned their vacation and their DBrat thinks s/he needs an autograph from every character in every park but too often, all too very often, Mom and Dad are hot, tired and impatient and they teach their children the rules are for what Leona Helmsley called "little people".

Stay together. Have a coke. Pee. Get in line and enjoy an attraction. Repeat.

Assigning a 'place holder' in line then pushing past children to join that place holder is line jumping. How could it be called anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

What you have described is LINE JUMPING! It is rude and inconsiderate to all persons that waited their turn. I don't see how anyone can justify doing this. In your example - what lessons are they teaching their child? Why don't both parents stay with their child for each character - instead of trying to scheme and cheat those that insist on following rules of common courtesy? They must feel their time is more important than those that are there before them. If you are in line and have to leave for any reason - simple common courtesy dictates that if you want to return - you can rejoin the line at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    If I were standing in line with my grandson repeatedly reminding him we're waiting for our turn then we get shoved over by the Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey and I know we're about 4 minutes from the character attendant merrily annoucing, "Peter and Wendy are going to Neverland for a break!" I'd be a bit miffed.
    Perfect example!
    Second Star to the Right, and Straight on til Morning!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    I will say, IMHO, rudeness has become more common over the years. And because rudeness is so common, many rude people no longer consider their actions rude. [/FONT]
    You hit the nail on the head.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

That....is hysterical! I have to say I really think degree has an awful lot to do with it. I was in line with my wife waiting for Kilamanjaro Safari, when she started getting a little woozy. We both knew she needed water. I took off for the water stand and brought her back some. If that is considered line jumping, with all due respect, too bad.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey is actually from Ohio not from New Jersey. They were at the county fair last summer.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Stay together. Have a coke. Pee. Get in line and enjoy an attraction. Repeat.
    Works for us! And we did just that with up to 18 people on our last trip
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Did we have to bring New Jersey into this?!
    ~ * Liz * ~
    Costuming CM CP Alumni / Aug 06 - May 07 -
    Magic Kingdom / MNNSHP / Mickey's Twas / Spectro / Pirate & Princess / Animal Kingdom / MJJP =)

Last trip: July 10 - ASSp/AKL
    Next trip: May 11 - Planning Session with DFTW!

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Liz* View Post
    Did we have to bring New Jersey into this?!
    Yes

(Now there are only another 49 states & a great number of countries we can insult next...)

You know this is always one of the hot topics...

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider this brand of line jumping to be a misdemeanor offense...not a felony. But an offense nevertheless.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post

(Now there are only another 49 states & a great number of countries we can insult next...)

So.....those British tourists......

Choose your next words very carefully!
    Last edited by Giggy; 05-19-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

you know last year i was in line for a picture w/ a character, and looked over and there was another charcter that starting to take pics...My sister was not in my line, but she got in line for the other....so when i got done, i joined her. no one said anything at all, and i didn't think it was a big deal at all.
    but after actually seeing it in writing, maybe it wasn't...
    not sure...
    so next time, i will be at the back of the line, and if someone joins their family in front of, it won't make one difference to me...
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

complete line jumping, and you should be sent to the back of the line for doing it
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Mouse View Post
    Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey is actually from Ohio not from New Jersey. They were at the county fair last summer.
    That's funny!!!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

Is it line jumping?

Well... "Do unto others". How would you feel if the line in front of you, that seemed to consist of perhaps half a dozen people, suddenly materialized into 20 or 30 people as their families rejoined the line ahead of you?

I'm pretty sure I know how I would feel.

How I would deal with this situation is a separate matter. I've explained to my kids on more than one occasion that there's no such think as a useless person. One can always serve as an educational bad example (sometimes at WDW... or on some days, sadly, commonly at WDW). The result is my kids are more likely to hold doors open for others than me (as it should be, actually). YMMV, but you're in control of the journey...

--
    Brian Davis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    How would you feel if the line in front of you, that seemed to consist of perhaps half a dozen people, suddenly materialized into 20 or 30 people as their families rejoined the line ahead of you?
    I am glad you posted this. I think this is the one thing people are forgetting in this whole discussion. People are treating this like it is in a vacuum. One person getting into line most likely won't be an issue. It is still wrong but in the grand scheme, it won't make much of a difference. However, one is usually dealing with thousands of people and lines that can get very long. Once you start looking at it from that position, one should be able to understand that it can become a bigger issue than what if "I" do it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: