Quantcast Babies in the parks...new mom alert! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We took our nine month old and he loved it. We took a lot of breaks in the air conditioning when my older son and husband rode some rides. I am glad that we brought our own stroller. He was comforatble in it and he snoozed away during his naptime. You also need to realize that you can't go commando style. We were usually back in the resort by 7:00. Both my husband and I know that the trip was not for him and that he won't remember it. We have super cute pics that he can see and enjoy. As long as the baby is not miserable I can't see the harm in taking he or she to WDW!
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I see no reason why you can't bring your baby to WDW with you. As long as you are mindful of the heat (which, as you said, is not as much of an issue in March) and of overstimulation (shorter periods of time in the parks) and respectful of those around you if your little one starts to get fussy--no problem.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We went to WDW in October with our three kids DD11 DS4 DS 9MONTHS. We also had an aunt, uncle, gma gpa, and another gma with us. We had the best trip!!!!! You go at your baby's pace. We love theme parks, knew we would want to spend the entire day at the park so we made sure to have a great double stroller and it worked!!! The baby slept in the stroller fully reclined sometimes we went back to the room, sometimes we stayed. I would say relax it will all fall into place.

One thing was, I had not real expectations when booking, because I did not know how the baby would be. But with being laid back and remembering that I was at Disney and would have fun no matter what we had a blast.

We are all returning again this October!!!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kemps@wdw View Post
    No disrespect to those who bring infants to WDW, but I can't understand the reasoning behind this. (Yes, I have a child, and no, I did not take her to WDW till she was 5.) Of course, the child will have no memory of the visit. And after all, isn't all the hustle and bustle that is WDW be a little much for one so small?
    Isn't the hustle and bustle of Wal-Mart a little much for one so small? You have to live your life even with a baby. We don't necessarily go for our son, he just accompanies us on our annual trip. We go in off season when there is not as much hustle and bustle and we use the baby centers in addition to afternoon hotel breaks and my son did wonderfully. We are planning for baby #2 in about another year. If we waited until everyone was 5 we'd never make it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I don't think a child has to be old enough to remember the trip to enjoy a trip but often I read "...baby care center... lots of breaks... back to the room. Then I go to the MK and see 96 degrees and 4pm or midnight and babies being drug through their umteenth hour of a stroller or a sling while the parent just can't stop 'til Splash Mountain. Again.
    I agree that some can over do it, but we stick to our usual schedule and it's never been an issue for us. We go regularly so we're not concerned about seeing and doing everything. It is a different trip when you have a baby along, but it's totally doable.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    Yes, DW and I have to back you up in that one. Say what you will about child memory retention and all, it is over kill for any baby. The reasoning is simple; WE want to go to WDW, WE have a baby. SO what. Seems simple but I don't think people often think abotu what is actually best for the baby versus what is best for themselves. Shoudl you put your vacaton on hold because you had another child, personally, I thkn yes you should. It is our choice to have children and if we do we have to make sacrifices. Wait until the child can actually enjoy themselves. Nothing troubles me more than watchign people bring little kids on the Haunted mansion, etc and heariong the kid scream because the noises are too loud or it's dark, or whatever. OK, let the flaming begin...

D
    Won't flame you but have to disagree in part.
    When our children were very young we lived abroad. I guarantee you the sights, sounds, and smells of WDW are tame compared to much they encountered as we traveled around the world with them at very tender ages. We did all we could to keep them comfortable and certainly slowed down considerably from the pace we took when we were childless. But we could not make it just like home for them especially when we were flying to/from visiting US family and jet lag was added to the mix.
    We needn't have worried. They adapted beautifully, have had very few sick days in their lives, and are now two of the most mellow and adaptable adults you'll ever meet. I think that is in large part because of the travel. We were not being selfish, we were living our lives and they were a part of that. I have relatives who won't take a two day trip to visit aging parents/grandparents who desperately want to see them because it might upset the baby's schedule. Is that less selfish?
    Find a balance (like avoiding the Haunted Mansion with a sensitive toddler) and, of course, keep your babies comfortable, healthy and safe. But I don't believe that means you must keep them home till they can hold an autograph book.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with you. We never left our children at home or stayed home from a vacation because of them. They were a part of our family and we wanted to take a family vacation so adjusted our packing and traveling plans for them and we have never had a problem with it. Did we have bad days or cranky days because of them, yes. But we would have had those at home too, like you say, at Walmart or somewhere else. I never took our kids on any rides that would scare them. Just did the child swap. They loved IASM even at a very young age. They are all big Mickey fans now, even as adults and the next generation is learning to be also.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    Agreeing with my husband on this one...on our last trip, we tried to have an enjoyable lunch at 50's Prime Time, but a woman with an infant so small it must have just popped out was at the table next to ours. The baby screamed and cried through our entire meal. I'm sure the baby wasn't enjoying the parks, and thanks to his mother, we didn't enjoy that part of our day either.
    I'll agree that a crying child can ruin a restaurant experience, but that's more of a problem parent than a problem child. I have been bothered by misbehaving children of all ages while at WDW and I blame inconsiderate parents. It's very easy to excuse yourself for a few minutes to sooth an upset baby.
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I still say you should go. And yes, it would be polite to take the baby outside for a little if they are fussy at dinner....but honestly...I think the parents stress more about this than others...if there's a crying baby where I'm eating..I'm thinking, thank God it's not one of mine!!!
    Have a great time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaffz70 View Post
    I still say you should go. And yes, it would be polite to take the baby outside for a little if they are fussy at dinner....but honestly...I think the parents stress more about this than others...if there's a crying baby where I'm eating..I'm thinking, thank God it's not one of mine!!!
    Well, I have to disagree a little with you there. I have empathy for parents with a fussy little one, no matter where it's at. But it is very distracting and disturbing to me when the crying goes on and on. I think when you are a parent you tend to tune it out sometimes. Not so easy when you are a bystander and can't do anything about it.

But yes, that in and of itself is not a reason not to bring a baby to WDW.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I will just chime in to say that my DD went at 6 mos, 11 months, 19 months and is due to go and celebrate birthday number 2. (my DS went at 6 mos, 13 mos and right before he turned 2) Every trip has been different and I'd say my best advice is to not plan too strictly and see what works for your child and modify plans accordingly. On the first 2 trips,my daughter went on pretty much every ride with us(that wasn't a thrill ride) and I even took advantage of dark rides like Haunted Mansion to nurse. On the last trip she wasn't so interested in rides so we did more "exploring". On every trip I have watched as her interaction with the characters has progressed. On the first trip she would just smile and laugh when they came to her table at meals, she just loved them. On the next trip she interacted with them a little more and on our trip in January she would say their names and run right up to give them a big hug. Seeing her face light up when she sees the characters is reason enough to go. WE have family in Florida and usually stop at WDW for a few days first.
    Now we have been talking about the upcoming trip and she is talking about the rides and having lunch with the princesses and breakfast with Mickey, she is really excited. Will there be meltdowns on this trip....probably. But she still talks about things we did on our trip in January, so I know she remembers, and even if she didn't, I do
    Just go with the flow and have a great time

I don't regret any of my trips taking a baby or toddler. My thoughts are that you just never know when circumstances will change and you can't go so why not make the memories while you can
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Dragging an infant arount a theme park is about the parent wanting to be there and wanting the baby to be close at hand.
    As others have pointed out, so is going to WalMart or even (from the standpoint of the infant) a trip to see grandparents. We do an awful lot of things with very young children that are not focused just on them. Sometimes, I find it OK to live my life while also having children.

...often I read "...baby care center... lots of breaks... back to the room. Then I go to the MK and see 96 degrees and 4pm or midnight and babies being drug through their umteenth hour of a stroller or a sling while the parent just can't stop
    Hmm. Have you looked into the child-care centers in the various parks? I have; and the parents I've interacted with there (for years now) seem very different than the ones you are describing. Can you have rude or out-of-touch parents of young children in the parks? Certainly. And I've also seen rude and out-of-touch adults or kids in the parks without infants. The behavior you are describing I've also seen (too many times), but I don't regard it as a reason not to take trips with kids - I regard it as an object lesson in doing the right thing around kids. And that can (at least in my experience) certainly involve small children.

I'll soon take my toddler grandchild to WDW but I'll pay close attention to when it's time to ride Dumbo and when it's time to take him back to the resort and let him sit in the grass and play with his toes.
    And given that, I suspect you'll likely have a wonderful experience with them. But the again, that's not too different than going with grade-school kids, or teenagers, or other adults. Pay attention and remember others - it gets you a long way. At any age.

I've got three children (11, 8, and 5); had we waited until the youngest was out of diapers, we could have started doing Disney only about two or three years ago. Which means my 11 y.o. son would have missed out on... well, on a lot of trips. We've extended that hiking, backpacking (with a five-month-old), etc., and it's been well worth it - as Long As You Keep In Mind The Limitations.

--
    Brian Davis

PS- As a stay-at-home Dad, I've got to say the tip about the changing tables being more open in the men's bathroom is a good one (less so now than ten years ago, but still). And the Child Care Center / First Aid at AK is, well, AWSOME. Both my wife and I have spent a good bit of time in there over the years.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: