Quantcast Suggestions for supportive shoes?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for supportive shoes?

I'm nearing 36 now (end of this week!) and suddenly I've noticed that if I wear my mary jane Crocs all day, I have horrible heel pain. As in, can't walk at all by the end of the day.

I walk way more after moving to NZ than I did in the US, and I'm guessing I need shoes with more support. That tends to be in the form of sneakers (I usually wear Brooks), but yeah...I don't really like the look of sneakers with my shorts or capri pants.

The mary jane style seems to fit me best, but in the end I"m really looking for a shoe that is supportive, I can wear without socks, I can wear on water rides, and that won't kill me when my feet expand - which they always seem to do in humidity (no matter how much water I ingest during the day!!). Oh, and to top it off, I have wide feet, so the shoe would have to come in wide sizing.

Recommendations? Thanks, everyone!
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have "Fred Flintstone" feet, and have found that New Balance has a very large selection of "extra wide" width shoes. They have varied colors and styles. Occasionally, I have been able to find Nikes in extra wide width, also. You can always wear the "footies" that are low cut with tennis shoes.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I have some the same issue, I really need to wear an athletic shoe at WDW, but I hate the way they look with capris or shorts. I found really cute and comfy pair of Merrills in a kind of modified Mary Jane style. They are called Merrill Encore MJ. I have noticed that Lands End has a similar shoe at a much lower price, but I can't say how comfy they are. I wear these with capris and shorts and always get compliments on how cute they are. I also have a pair of Eccos in a MJ style. I think they are called Technos, I've had these a couple of years and I think they may have been replaced by a similar style called Yarrah. You can check out both brands online at Zappos or Online shoes. Good Luck!
    95 - All Star Sports
    97 - Dixie Landings
    99 & 02 - WL
    04 - Poly/Disney Wonder
    04 - All Star Movies
    05 - DL Paris
    05 - WLV,1st trip as DVC Member
    06-VWL
    07 - BCV & SSR
    08 - AKL/ Wonder
    09 - BCV
    10 - BCV, SSR
    11 - Disney Drea,
    12 - HHI & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in geology field camp, one of the other students swore by her Teva sandals. She wore them for miles and miles of hiking, day in and day out for six weeks. They dry quickly and she said they were very supportive.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of Cole Haan sandals that have Nike air cushioning - they are stylish and comfortable, but not cheap. I am on my 3rd summer with the same pair. They have several styles to choose from and look cute with shorts, capris, or casual dresses and skirts.
    Stefanie

Disney Trips
    BCV 2009
    POP 2009
    FW Cabin 2008
    BCV 2008
    GF 2008
    POFQ 2007
    Contemporary 2006
    Poly 2004
    DD Doubletree 2001
    Contemporary 1999
    ASM 1998
    Off Property 1997
    DISNEYLAND 1997
    Off Property 1996
    Ft Wilderness 1995

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wire0monkey View Post
    When I was in geology field camp, one of the other students swore by her Teva sandals. She wore them for miles and miles of hiking, day in and day out for six weeks. They dry quickly and she said they were very supportive.
    I second the Teva sandals. I love my pair - and they are very supportive and cushioned. Wore mine around most of our last DW vacation - especially in AK.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a pair of sketcher sandals I got last year. But others I have are TEVA. I have also tried Merril and ECCO's and liked them. I just have not bought them. I like sandals that are comfortable and are still that way after many miles put on them. You may have to try many, many, many pairs to find the right ones. Good luck. Because you are in NZ I am not sure if they have the same brands as they do here in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Dansko sandals just got me through 8 days in The World with no pain or blisters. I have high arches and I carry a good bit of extra weight on my frame, and they were just perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsavannah View Post
    Dansko sandals just got me through 8 days in The World with no pain or blisters. I have high arches and I carry a good bit of extra weight on my frame, and they were just perfect!
    My sister is a physician's assistant at Fox Chase and she swears by the Dansko shoes. What kind of sandals did you get? Would the leather ones be ruined on wet rides/rain?

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have foot problems that require extra support and sometimes a brace that I don't wear like I should. I also have extra-wide feet so even without a brace need really wide shoes. My orthopeadic doctor always recommended New Balance to me. I have also found a store called Foot Smart that has all kinds of shoes and brands for people with "normal" feet and people with "problem" feet--especially wide widths. I love Drew from there. It is a cataloge and also a website with that name. I don't buy shoes anywhere else. I even found some dressy Mary Janes that are from Drew there that I can wear all day without hurting. I've had too many operations for open-toed shoes or heels!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I had been having heel pain when I wore my my mary jane crocs. Then I stepped on a sewing needle while wearing them and the needle broke off in my foot... no more crocs for me! Plus, my heel feels better.

I usually wear Keen sandals at WDW. I love them because they cover my foot and my toes. Teva makes some that are similar... I use to have a pair way back when and they were great. I love Clark shoes for good support also, but they generally aren't the kind of shoes you get wet.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I've looked up Keen, Merrill, Ecco and even Teva, but they all don't offer wide sizes.

Oh, and thanks, Beksy for the suggestion of Foot Smart! Will definitely check that out more.

How about Naturalizer? Their shoes seem to have very good reviews on Zappos, and they have some cute styles in wide.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherbie66 View Post
    My sister is a physician's assistant at Fox Chase and she swears by the Dansko shoes. What kind of sandals did you get? Would the leather ones be ruined on wet rides/rain?
    I had 2 pairs of sandals, both were leather. One was a slip-on stype with elastic on the sides and the other had a buckle stap around the ankle. I got SOAKED on Kali and they were fine! I swear by them, too. I work on my feet all day 40hrs a week and I wear the clogs (can't wear open-toed to work) and they are THE BEST!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for Teva. I swear by them. I used to wear my regular Teva sandals all day at the parks, but now I'm finding more and more I'll wear the Teva Mush flip flops. I would never try to wear a regular flip flop for as much walking as you do at WDW, but the Mush Flips are so incredibly comfy - even more so than the sandals.
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keen

Keen sandals are pretty adjustable with a lace that runs through all the straps, so they may well be plenty wide without offering a wide size. I really like mine, though they are a bit on the heavy side.

Have you considered just going to a bulkier Crocs model?
    -- End of line

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you find these good sandals (keen, eccos, etc)? Are there certain stores that carry them? I have seen them online, but I will need to try them on to be sure I like them before buying. Where did you buy yours?

Post Thanks / Like

I was just checking out sandals online today. L.L. Bean has Teva and Keen watersandals. Dick's Sporting Goods also has them.
    I can't find any at our local stores. I am on a road trip to a bigger DSG tomorrow. There is also an L.L. Bean about 45 mins. away that i will check out if DSG doesn't have what I want.
    I also know the DSW Shoe Warehouse has a couple, not in my size. When I was in MD. the Sports Authority had some, again not in my size.
    My Teva's bit the dust and they were great.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot do sandals of any sort at WDW....the only thing that supports and keeps my footsies dry and blister-free is New Balance tennis shoes, hands down.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

Post shoes

I have severe over pronation and I have always said to wear a shoe that is supportive and cushioned. I used to wear my Brooks Beast running shoes, but found that was too much for a park. So, I have some New Balance training shoes (I think they are 767?) that do the job.

If you can get away with wearing sandals, good for you. I like my feet, shins, knees, legs, and hips (they are all connected, remember). I really don't care what my shoes look like, just that I will be able to walk when I'm 80+ and take my grand kids to WDW
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Post socks

Oh yeah, don't wear cotton socks. Wear a moisture wicking, nylon-based sock. Starter makes some good cheap ones, but you can spend a lot on some expensive ones.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: