Quantcast Airtran

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Airtran

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airtran

I have a question for anyone who has been in a similiar situation. Airtran won't let you reserve a seat until the day before your flight without paying a fee per seat...We really don't want to shell out the 15 per seat because there are 5 of us and that would be 75 dollars. That being said, we are two adults traveling with 3 kids ages 7,9 and 10, none of which has ever flied before and I am worried about us being able to be together. I already know the liklihood of us getting a whole row is slim to non but I would at least like us to close and have my husband with one and me with the other two or vice versus but I am concerned with this. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look at what seats are available on your flight now. That may help you make your decision. When I did it though, the cost was $6.00 per person. I think there were different costs for different seats.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to make sure you are ALL together, then pay the fees. We paid the charge both times we have flown on AirTran, and were glad we did. The flights were crazy full. Air Canada fees are $25 per person each way to make the same request. Money well spent if I want to make sure I am sitting with my children.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest purchasing the seats. There is a chance that you will be split up, even from your children. I also had the same concerns about an upcoming flight. I called and spoke to an agent who told me unless someone gracially gave up their seat everyone including children would be by themselves. I don't think I would have too many volunteers since the person who would have to give up the seat already paid the price. Be on the safe side and purchase the seats in advance.
    I am not used to all these charges and worries, I usually fly southwest, they just did not have good prices for our flights last minute. Good luck, I hope you all get to sit together.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

We flew airtran in January and we paid the fees. $6 a seat for each way, so $12 RT. We wanted to make sure we al sat together as well. I figure I'm getting a deal already with the cheap flights, and even after paying the seat fees it was cheaper than any other airline. I know it seems like a chunk of change, but that's the only way to ensure you all sit together.
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I paid the ridiculous $6, total of $24 to and from. So stupid. I know for our flights in May we had slim pickings just to get the TWO of us together. I would pay the fee if I were you
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    I don't think I would have too many volunteers since the person who would have to give up the seat already paid the price.

Exactly.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

We are in the same situation and ended up paying the extra $ for seats... mostly for peace of mind. I don't want to detract from any of the "magic" due to worrying about sitting together. Although I look at the flight now and it doesn't seem that seating will be an issue... at least I don't have to be concerned by the "what if's".

Post Thanks / Like

We just booked with AirTran for our Sept. trip and paid the extra $6 per seat each way. Really, with the low airfare we received, it was well worth it. If I were flying with children, it would be a no-brainer just to have peace of mind that we could sit together.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

They have us between a rock and a hard place, you have no choice but to pay it when you have kids. I paid it, the last time I flew them and this coming trip also. I need to be with my family so I pay it. Just like the luggage fees--crazy. Now that oil is leveled off to normal again---or what it was in the '90's--what the airlines paid a barrel we should not be paying these fees---they are making money again hand over fist---watch these next quarters they all make profits.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Clause View Post
    That being said, we are two adults traveling with 3 kids ages 7,9 and 10, none of which has ever flied before and I am worried about us being able to be together.
    I would say that, if you are worried about it, you should pay the extra money to have the peace of mind. As another poster said, it is $6 per person, per direction, so you are looking at an extra $60 total. I think that would be worth the peace of mind, especially since most AirTran tickets are pretty inexpensive in the first place. Also, already having your seat asignments will be particularly helpful on your way home, when you most likely won't have the time or ability to checkin online 24 hours before you leave to reserve your seats.

But that's just my .

"Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

you can go online 24 hours before your flight and pick your seats at no extra charge,i did it at the gate and had no problem doing it.
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We have booked with Airtran twice. Last year it was $6 a seat. This year, my AAA agent ordered the seats and there was not a fee to reserve. Either way, I was glad to have reserved seats. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We flew Air Tran in Nov. and the flight was overbooked. It turned out that the money we spent on seats was well spent because people who didn't have seats were bumped. We were going on a cruise so we had to make that flight. I agree it is not right but you may find yourself in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Clause View Post
    . . . We really don't want to shell out the 15 per seat because there are 5 of us and that would be 75 dollars . . .
    1) Easy.
    2) Don't fly a budget airline.
    3) If you want cheap fares, sometimes there are added fees.
    4) Why should people paying for a seat give ti up for a family?
    5) They paid the seat-reservation-charge and are entitled to "their" seat.
    6) Not trying to be that harsh, but it is a fact of life today.
    7) Maybe you can try Southwest or someone else.

NOTE: We have flown AirTran from Iowa to Orlando. We have seen families split up because they did not reserve seats together.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth paying the fees. We have been broken up on SW and American.
    DVC Member since 03 , Have been "Home" just too many times before to list. June 6 next visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pay the fee

If you want some peace of mind without the hassle of asking people to move than pay the fee. I fly Airtran often and I can tell you that this fee has made it more difficult for those who don't pay it. Nothing is getting cheaper when it comes to the airlines!!!

Hope that helps!

wdw1985

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember almost 95% of all passengers going to Orlando are pleasure travelers. So people want to sit together, you just need to pay the fee. Lots of passengers are in your same boat.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: