Quantcast finger scanners - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: finger scanners

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that stamps were discontinued because they are in effective and costly. THe CMs needed to man the exit turnstyles, along with the ink and then still have to argue with people who "forgot" etc. Not very efficient.

The biometric scanners are mostly effetctive in treating all the ills of the old SYSTEM with the added benefit of preventing unused ticket sales which also increase their profits.

I doubt the 30 rule on keeping information is true. As an AP holder, I can visit beyond the 30 day limit as well as the non expiration ticket option could require them to hold that information for tens of years.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I doubt the 30 rule on keeping information is true. As an AP holder, I can visit beyond the 30 day limit as well as the non expiration ticket option could require them to hold that information for tens of years.
    Perhaps the rule is 30 days after expiration?

Finger scanners aren't something that bother me. If they wanted people's finger prints for some ulterior motive they could always just go around the parks and scan anything people have touched. Seems harmless enough to me.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

So, for those of use who choose to ID route, does Disney require one to take their ID out of it's carrier or can one just show their ID in it's carrier?

I'm thinking of using a neck landyard that would allow me to place my ID in it. The pouch for the ID has 'window', you know, like in a typical wallet. I'm thinking I could just keep my ID and Key to the World in this pouch (aka neck wallet).

Thoughts?

SMSP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    For those who think the scanners hold up the line imagine the people digging for the Photo ID for 20 minutes
    Excellent point Photo ID would never work and it would make the lines much longer than they already are.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smsp View Post
    So, for those of use who choose to ID route, does Disney require one to take their ID out of it's carrier or can one just show their ID in it's carrier?

I'm thinking of using a neck landyard that would allow me to place my ID in it. The pouch for the ID has 'window', you know, like in a typical wallet. I'm thinking I could just keep my ID and Key to the World in this pouch (aka neck wallet).

Thoughts?

SMSP
    I think this would work. As long as they can see it.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbellaella View Post
    There is just something wrong with giving anyone your finger print.
    I believe it's measuring distance between joints on your finger. It would be a nightmare if they were using fingerprints; they'd be constantly cleaning the scanners.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer: It does not record your fingerprint it takes the shape of your finger and converts that shape to a number which is stored on your ticket.

The information does not go into any Disney computer, it goes on your ticket. You can't convince some people of that, but I guess they know more about it than those of us that work turnstiles.

For photo ID, your must have your name imprinted on your ticket or photo ID is of no use. It actually slows down the time thru turnstiles as we have to handle both the ticket, the ID and then do a manual push on the keypad in order for the turnstile arm to turn.

The quick way for it to read is to LAY your finger on the keypad, don't press down or use the fingertip, push it all of the way up into the metal socket. For ladies with long fingernails, place the nail extension onto the metal part and the finger up to the metal socket. Don't have it rolled on the edge and don't walk all the way up to the turnstile arms and then try to bend backwards to put your finger in the socket.

There are several levels of turnstile ticket security that turn on and off randomly, which is why you may have to do a biometric scan or not. Turnstile cast have no control over that.

It's always funny that when we are on the highest security level. we have to beg people to place their finger on the socket and when we are on the lowest level, we have to beg them NOT to. Just watch the green light and when it starts to flash, walk thru the turnstile.

Just a few turnstile tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the line to enter, using the scanners, can be long because of issues, but for the most part they work really well.

As far as germs go we use a sanitizing hand product after entering the park and after riding all the attractions.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it terrible that there was even a reason to implement the scanners in the first place? Dishonesty doesn't belong in the "happiest place on earth"
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

its amazing, I started this post 2-1/2 years ago and its still going strong. Love intercot
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

I find it ironic that people are worried about what Disney is doing with our fingerprints (which its not a complete fingerprint) But have no problem giving them all of our credit card information. If I was one to worry I'd worry more about their data base being hacked and someone stealing the credit card information. But I'm sure Disney doesn't want that to happen and have a solid security system in place.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all have our worries.....finger prints - credit cards - germs - airport scanners/searches. I am a lousy sleeper and if I spent time thinking about this stuff, I wouldn't sleep at all...and may just lock myself in a closet and never come out!

Naive? I am in many ways. I am a bit too trusting....may be why I'm twice divorced!!

To each his own....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Short answer: It does not record your fingerprint it takes the shape of your finger and converts that shape to a number

1- which is stored on your ticket.

2- The information does not go into any Disney computer, it goes on your ticket.

3- You can't convince some people of that, but I guess they know more about it than those of us that work turnstiles.
    ------------
    1- Nope.
    2- Nope.
    3- It will be very hard to convince me of that.
    If that were true, it would require that the turnstile be able to record on your ticket's mag-stripe (without destroying the info that's already on the stripe.)
    No reason to try to do that.

The finger-scan's "number" (representation of key points on a small section of your finger's image) is stored in the Automated Ticketing System (ATS) computer along with the number that represents your ticket info.
    That info will include the original date and assets on the ticket when purchased, time and date that the ticket has been used, and the list of assets remaining (number of "days left") on the ticket. This file is also updated if a ticket is upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to see if this was addressed earlier, but if not.

A "child's" ticket (3yr-10 yr) does not use the finger-scanner.

Many times kids will put their finger on the scanner (just like Mom and Dad,) but the scanner does not activate when a child's ticket is put through the reader.

Those kids also do not need any ID.

The scan is also not used for "YES" program tickets, and, many times, not for "school-group" tickets, like visiting bands who perform at the parks (who often get group tickets.)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I never even considered what that finger scanner did but bringing that up kind of upsets me because Disney's information system already kind of upsets me. I have nothing to hide and I find it somewhat Offensive how much they know about my family. At first, having mail arrive with our trip dates and names on it was cute but the more we thought about it the more it started to upset me and my husband how they keep track of everything you do there and how often you go and what not. I even had a Disney cast member call us once, when we hadnt been there for several months and ask us when we would be returning and if we had a bad experience on the last trip that was keeping us away. It is great that they are following up and have great customer service but really how far should this go? At check in at Fort Wilderness I have always felt like they are very rude to have us check in while we are still in our vehicle. I feel as if I am being pulled over and strip searched by a police man, but then again on the other hand, I am very glad they do this to other people. I think that they just want the parks to remain safe and I feel like if they stopped having finger scanners and stopped being so diligent with check ins that we might be vacationing in a dangerous place. So, I will just go along with what Disney wants even though it kind of makes me question the whys to the things they do. They obviously know what they are doing and its working.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Even if Disney does somehow use information gleaned through the use of finger-scanners, companies tracking people electronically is nothing new. Right now your search engine could be gathering information about the sites you visit, your cell phone noting where you travel, your debit or credit cards what stores you visit, your toll road transponder sticker what highways you drive. Most of the time (if not all, IMO) it's for marketing and data-gathering purposes. But it's out there. Even those new Freestyle Coke machines they're phasing in at the resorts will be gathering information on what sodas (or combination of sodas) everyone is drinking and sending that information right back to the Coca Cola company.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfamilyof3 View Post
    Ugh I hate those things

We opt to show photo id rather than scan our fingers. I'm a germophobe to begin with, and I've stood behind plenty of people who had their finger up their nose before having their finger scanned. For what it's worth, we've never gotten sick at WDW since everyone in my family uses the photo Id rather than finger scanning. That, and frequent handwashing.
    I agree, my family is filled with germophobes so we just bring hand sanitizer with us everywhere we go
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the" not fingerprints". WDW says so and I have to be print scanned for work. The
    real thing is nothing like WDW.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Even if Disney does somehow use information gleaned through the use of finger-scanners, companies tracking people electronically is nothing new. Right now your search engine could be gathering information about the sites you visit, your cell phone noting where you travel, your debit or credit cards what stores you visit, your toll road transponder sticker what highways you drive. Most of the time (if not all, IMO) it's for marketing and data-gathering purposes. But it's out there. Even those new Freestyle Coke machines they're phasing in at the resorts will be gathering information on what sodas (or combination of sodas) everyone is drinking and sending that information right back to the Coca Cola company.
    Are the Freestyle Coke Machines coming to WDW resorts? Those machines are awesome.

Oh and you forgot to mention how Grocery Stores track you. Ever wonder why the coupons that the checkouts generate is always for stuff you buy or may be interested in? Lets face it in this day and age we are all being tracked. Unless you use actual cash for everything I don't know if there is a way to not be tracked.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my question... Let's say worst case scenario Disney is saving and storing full finger prints for the millions of people that pass through their gates this year...

What would it really matter? What would they do with a fingerprint? I doubt they will be going around planting prints at crime scenes, or trying to break into companies that use fingerprinting to gain access... And even if there becomes a day you can pay with your fingerprint, that's no different than handing them your credit card to store.

I think people get way to caught up in stuff like this lately, probably from watching too much Bourne Identity

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: