Quantcast Niagara Falls

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niagara Falls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Niagara Falls

I am looking for advice regarding Niagara Falls - we are thinking of doing a 3 night trip in May up there. Any words of wisdom? American side or Canadian?
    How are the boarding crossings etc. Where to stay? What to do?

It will be DH, DD (then aged 10) and myself - according to Google Maps it should take us about 6 - 7 hours driving time.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

American side or Canadian....if you want a falls view hotel room you have to stay on the canadian side.

Be sure to do the Maid of the Mists boat and we also enjoyed doing the tour where you go behind the falls and go out onto the hurricane deck.

As for the crossings its not that big a deal...just make sure you have the paper work you need for yourself and everyone in your party.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default passports

pertaining to this topic, do you or don't you need passports for everybody in your party ? we had heard that as of 6/08 everybody needs them,then just recently somebody said that they pushed the date back more. so does anybody know the date? thanks
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to stay on the Canadian side. If you are driving you will only need a birth certificate for customs.
    FIRST 1975
    LAST : Jan 2017
    UP NEXT: Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I live 10 minutes from Niagara Falls, Canada.

There is alot to do, and sometimes around the time you are coming they have specials where you can combine multiple activities, I think last year it was the butterfly museum, ferris wheel, bird kingdom, and tour behind the falls.

The bird kingdom and butterfly museum were nice, but don't take long to go through. We loved the view from the ferris wheel. They also have greenhouses that are free to go in, and are quite beautiful.

They also have the jet boat tours and helicopter tours. We went on the jet boats, and they were alot of fun. i have never been on the helicopters, but would love to go, my friend does it every year.

right beside the helicopter rides is Great Wolf Lodge, while it is expensive to stay at it looks really neat. my grandkids are a bit young yet but i want to take them when they are a bit older. It is a hotel with an indoor water park. (they have a talking tree and some animals in the lobby) you can take a look around even if you don't stay there. You can only use the water park if you are staying at the hotel.

Marineland should be open at that time of year. I'm not overly crazy about it as it is alot of walking and nothing in between. It does have some cool rides, and the dolphin/sealion shows.

If you want any more info pm me and i will be glad to help.
    Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Niagara Falls

YOU HAVE TO STAY ON THE CANADIAN SIDE.
    The US side is not that nice. They have tried to clean it up some, but the Canadian side is where everything is.....there is a plethera of places to spend LOTS of $$. I would recommend the Hilton---they have a very nice waterslide inside and a great pool. There is also a nice indoor water park called AmericanaNiagara that you can go to for the day.

Regarding the border crossing.....we have been through a bunch of times (in 5 minutes) w/o anyone even asking for any ID for the kids, but wouldn't you know it....the one time, we just went over for lunch, they asked on the way back in the US for birth certificates for the kids. They agent was NOT happy w/ us that we didn't have them. They automatically run your licenses, and he yelled at us and let us through, but I have since heard stories from others that they got detained for 6-7 hours w/o proper ID.

If by any chance both parents are not w/ the kids, then make sure that you have a notarized note saying it is ok to take them out of the country.
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

sisterdisco nailed it....i live 15 minutes from the falls.unfortunately,the american side is desolate.the canadian side is worlds better.
    we often joke that at night when you look across the niagara river it looks like disney world or las vegas and our side looks like a scene from the planet of the apes...
    have fun

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd definitely go with the Canadian side. We enjoy just walking along looking at the falls, and they are increadible at night. My favorite spot is actually looking down right where the water is going over. We always ride Maid of the Mist and go in the tall building that looks like the space needle (sorry, I can't remember the name!). It has a revolving restaurant or did when we were there last a few years ago with wonderful views. That is worth it! We also did the Imax theater which was cool. I haven't been in many years but it is a wonderful place to visit!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I am not whether or not they have this in May, but during the summer months (Jul, Aug) they have an amazing fireworks display over the falls on certain nights. I have been lucky enough to catch it 2 or 3 times.
    Marineland is a LOT of walking with nothing to look at. They have so much land that they could develop.
    I was reading earlier this evening the Great Wolf Lodge is one of the top hotels for some reason or another, but don't remember what it was.
    Any how, I would recommend the Canadian side, but then again I am Canadian, eh!
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone has said....the Canadian side is MUCH better!! You can also walk across the Rainbow Bridge to go to the US side if you want to at say you were there.

There are tons of hotels/motels to choose from, depending on your budget. It is a little expensive there, but I don't think you will be disappointed because it's very beautiful. You can also do a journey beneath the falls which takes you way down to look behind and beside the falls...really neat. Also, the exchange rate on the US dollar is in your favour again, so you will get around $1.20 +/- for you dollar.

Enjoy and you can also PM me if you need any extra help!
    Off-Site: 1977, 1984, 1988, 1991, 1993, and 2000
    All-Star Sports - 2002

Coronado Springs Resort - July 12-19, 2008
    Pop Century Resort - May 14-21, 2009
    Caribbean Beach Resort - August 15-20, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Both sides offer interesting things to do, but we definitely think the Canadian side offers the best view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    ....Be sure to do the Maid of the Mists boat....
    Another vote for the Maid of the Mist boats!
    Richard
    "please stand clear of the doors"
    multiple times as little kid but don't remember the dates
    1993-ft. wilderness
    1994-contemporary
    1995-ft. wilderness
    2002-caribbean beach/polynesian
    2003-off property
    2005-coronado springs
    2009-off property condo
    2011-Bay Lake Towers/Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind leaving the imediate area of Niagara Falls and looking for a fast/wet ride I recommend a nice drive along the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake, about 20 minutes. Once there take a ride with Whirlpool jet boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilk View Post
    If you don't mind leaving the imediate area of Niagara Falls and looking for a fast/wet ride I recommend a nice drive along the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake, about 20 minutes. Once there take a ride with Whirlpool jet boats.
    Where are these Whirlpool jet boats? We try and get down there every summer as we have friend who live 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. This sounds like something DS would enjoy.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely stay on the Canadian side. The best thing we did was Goat Island and the Cave of the Winds which is located at Goat Island. We walked from our hotel (Embassy Suites) across Rainbow Bridge to the park. Goat Island is the oldest state park in the US. You get great views from here. There is a little concession type restaurant where you can get food. The Cave of the Winds is located in the park. You take an elevator down 175 feet. You then come out to walk on a series of wooden decks which take you incredibly close to the falls. They give you special non-skid water shoes to wear and slickers. The views were amazing and the park is beautiful.

I would also recommend the Maid of the Mist boat ride and the Imax movie was very interestng.

It is a beautiful place to visit. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Maid of the Mist is a must-do, but I've seen the lines be pretty long, so I would do it earlier in the day instead of later.

If you're looking for a "destination" hotel, then I would totally recommend Great Wolf Lodge (from the GWL chain in the US). It is a lovely hotel, close to everything and you get the super-cool water park as well. There are some good deals out for GWL right now, both directly from the site, and from travel sites like expedia.

If you're interested in travelling a bit, Niagara-On-the-Lake is about a 20-minute drive, and it is a great little town. They have a super-theatre, and tons of neat stores and restaurants. We have our favourite ice-cream store and chocolate store there!

We're history geeks, and there is SO MUCH to do with history in the area, as well as all of the traditional fun stuff, like the museums and activities on Clifton Hill.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Slowly I turned...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Some of us (probably older ones) will get it. But yes, Canadian side, no doubt. And I've also heard that you need passports now. Don't know when it will be or was officially implemented, but it could speed the process either way.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone will need passports or passport cards to enter Canada and return as of June 1st.

Although I stayed on the U.S. side on my last visit, I would definitely stay on the Canadian side if I go again.

Another thing you need to know...if you're traveling in Canada with your car, you should contact your U.S. auto insurer and let them know you will need verification of your insurance coverage for a visit to Canada. If you don't have proper documentation to prove you have adequate insurance coverage and have a problem while in Canada, they can impound your car.

On our last visit, we also took a ride over and watched the ships going through the locks - quite interesting.

There's also a restaurant on the Canadian side that sits very high and rotates slowly to give you a 360° view. It's a long time since I ate there but the view was fantastic and the food was good.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Step by step...

(Yes, I get the joke)

Currently, Birth certificates are accepted for land and sea travel. Starting June 1, 2009, Passports are required for Adults for re-entry to the US by land and sea; children under 16 can continue to use Birth Certificates.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Another thing you need to know...if you're traveling in Canada with your car, you should contact your U.S. auto insurer and let them know you will need verification of your insurance coverage for a visit to Canada. If you don't have proper documentation to prove you have adequate insurance coverage and have a problem while in Canada, they can impound your car.

Actually, in Ontario this wouldn't be true unless you gave the police some reason to impound the car, ie: impaired driving or driving more than 50 km/hr over the speed limit. You should still contact your insurance company but more for the reason that you need to make sure that if you do have an accident you insurance will cover it out of country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: