Quantcast Is it worth renting a gulf cart?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth renting a gulf cart?

we are goning in feb and we are staying in a cabin i just want to know that is it worth renting a gulf cart i heard people say yes and i heard peaple no so what is your oppion please tell us it will help a us lot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The busses are efficient enough you do not need one for $55 a night. We have our own and love the convenience of having it and not having to use the internal bus.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't rent one for the entire time last October. The bus system is great, and we had no problems with it. We did rent one for 24 hours on the day we went to MNSSHP, and were very glad of it.

DD9 and DS4 were exhausted by the end of the party - we got on the boat to FW and DD fell asleep. It was great to be able to carry her to the cart only a short distance away and then drive straight to our cabin. The alternative would have been to carry both kids from the dock, past Pioneer Hall and to stand waiting for a bus, then carrying them both from the bus stop to the cabin.

Could we have done without it? Yes, but it sure made life easier.

Plus, there was the fun factor of me taking the kids for a joyride while DH napped - not sure we would have explored the resort quite as much without it.

On our next trip, we still may not rent one for the duration, but definitely would get one for a few days, especially MK EMH.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Having a golf cart gives you so much more flexibility and freedom. The bus system is good in FW, but you still have to wait for it and are on their schedule. One time we were waiting on the boat going to MK and my DW noticed she forgot her camera in the cabin. I was able to jump on the cart, go get it, and was back in no time. God only knows how long this would have taken if I had to use the bus system.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

While not a must have, we have gotten one the last couple of trips. We love the freedom they provide, and really enjoy the ride around FW. Touring the loops at Christmas made having one worth while for us. The bus system is good, but the carts really do cut down on the wait time. You can certainly do with out one, as we have many times, but the carts really are a perk worth having if you can afford one. Have a great trip
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

If you have days where you plan on hanging around the resort, I would rent one for THOSE days, only. You wont need it all day since you will be at the theme parks, however, if you are going to be trying to get to the pool and the trading post, stuff like that, I would never stay there again with OUT a golf cart. It is just TOO frustrating. When we camp though, I wont mind buying one for everyday because camping is so reasonable, that there are the extra funds for that little bit of extra comfort.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't spend $55 on a cart, what would you spend it on?

Personally, I can think of better things to do with my money, but it really boils down to that question. Some people find that it's worth it, others would rather buy a sweatshirt with a big drawing of Grumpy.

This is also somewhat of a lifestyle question. If you are laid back and don't mind waiting for a bus, then maybe it's not worth it. If you like to take peaceful walks and don't mind hoofing it to the nearest transportation that goes outside the parks, then it's probably not worth it.

On the other hand, if there are folks in your party who are impatient and hate to walk (or have trouble walking)...
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

For almost the price of a golf cart, one can rent a car.
    We always rent a car, and we love the freedom and flexibility. The buses are a decent fall-back, but we use them solely for inside-FtW transportation. You can come and go, leave when the kids get tired, and not have to wait for a boat or bus. If your budget permits, Id consider skipping the golf cart and renting a car
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

You can't use cars for internal transportation at FW, which is what I believe the question was about. You also can not use carts for external transportation, though I really wish you could
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we camped at the Fort we rented one for our down day. That was way back in 1996. 2007 we stayed at pop centery and we went to the HDDR and we went earlier so we could rent a cart and go looping for a few hours. It was nice. The kids loved it. Is it worth the money nope. was it fun yep. Would I do it again yep.

SFTrny Guest

I think a lot depends on where your focus is for your vacation. If you are focused on the parks...then you probably don't need a cart. But if you are interested in spending downtime at FW and like exploring the area and want to have fun around FW, then a golf cart can be a LOT of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renting a golf cart

Just returned and we rented one for the entire week. We used it to explore fort wildnerness, take it to the marina, or to the front to ride the buses. Our cabin was in the front but still a walk to anything. Only one problem the golf cart died on the second to last day. It seems that there is a problem at some cabins with the plug in. We plugged it in everyday but it kept getting slower with each day. Brought it back to the rental area and they stated no problem until the day it died and then they exchanged it for me...Well worth it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    I think a lot depends on where your focus is for your vacation. If you are focused on the parks...then you probably don't need a cart. But if you are interested in spending downtime at FW and like exploring the area and want to have fun around FW, then a golf cart can be a LOT of fun.
    What SFTrny said....to us they would only be worth it if we were planning on spending some serious time enjoying the recreational opportunites (of which there are many) of FWC....if your pretty much going to be park hopping I'd forgo the rental costs.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think i will stay again without one. Its just too hard to get the the swimming pool. Otherwise, if you arent gonna swim or you plan on swimming at TL and BB instead, then skip it, and walk to the bus stops. We went twice without one and had great trips.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    i dont think i will stay again without one. Its just too hard to get the the swimming pool. Otherwise, if you arent gonna swim or you plan on swimming at TL and BB instead, then skip it, and walk to the bus stops. We went twice without one and had great trips.
    It all depends on what loop you are in. We stayed last fall in loop 1500 (partial hook-ups; Pop-up camper) and we were just across the street from the meadow pool. It took less than 2 minutes to walk over, and less than 5 minutes to walk to the campfire sing-along outdoor movie or the Meadow Trading Post. Very convenient. But not all loops are that close. For us, $58 per day for a cart was not worth the money. That was almost twice what our site cost per night (with AAA discount)
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all! We have wanted to rent one and this June we are renting one from an outside rental place for much less. We are getting 10 days use for $300 all inclusive, taxes delivery everything. Nice carts too. $57 a day was a bit more than I cared to pay from the Fort.
    Btw, I am new here and I am an addict. We'll be bringing our new (old) Camper with a Haunted Mansion theme in June. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bord1niowa View Post
    Hello to all! We have wanted to rent one and this June we are renting one from an outside rental place for much less. We are getting 10 days use for $300 all inclusive, taxes delivery everything. Nice carts too. $57 a day was a bit more than I cared to pay from the Fort.
    Btw, I am new here and I am an addict. We'll be bringing our new (old) Camper with a Haunted Mansion theme in June. Can't wait.
    Welcome to Intercot
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bord1niowa View Post
    Are you picking up the golf cart and transporting it into Fort Wilderness with you? My understanding is that Disney World no longer allows delivery of carts from outside sources to Fort Wilderness.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

No, they deliver it to the overflow parking lot. There are many other campers from the disboards that have and are doing it with no hassle from the CMs. No problems as recent as this week.

Post Thanks / Like

We just bring our bikes. My son is now 9, so he has no problem riding all over FW. My bike is equipped with baskets, so I can do all the hauling. Of course, we don't have any disabilities. If someone in our party did, I would just rely more on the busses.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: