Quantcast Disney Earnings and Attendance Projections Decline - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Who's to say these analysts don't release these reports and then make a ton of money selling short on Disney stock?
    I'm pretty certain that goes on quite a bit.

That's my other issue ... with so much information out there, it's become really easy for people to manipulate the market for their own benefit.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's not really true. The only time an inability to sell stock would affect a corporation's capital funding would be if they were issuing new stock to try and raise capital.
    I'm not going to try to get into economics 101 here, but a analyst lowering the rating also impacts on how all financial dealings with a company work. The value of your company is evaluated in almost every deal and relation with other companies and in dealings with banks. If your business is seen as being in decline it is much harder to get funding and cut deals.

Its about confidence in the company and its profitability that influences other companies (and banks) in their dealings with the company. A lowered rating means less confidence and that in turn means more rigid terms when dealing with that company.

Besides, a company makes money off its stock without issuing new stock. Companies have a quantity of its own stock on hand that they can sell at any time, subject to rules and limits of course. They can also buy their own stock and sell it later at a higher price if they choose, again with rules and limits. The rules and limits are designed to prevent manipulation but it is allowed.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty certain that goes on quite a bit.

That's my other issue ... with so much information out there, it's become really easy for people to manipulate the market for their own benefit.
    That's why you have to pay attention to the source. When it comes from a recognized analyst with a reputation to protect (as is the case here) then its reliable. This is not coming from shorters in the market. Besides, there are at least 3 separate analysts saying the same thing over the last few weeks.

The other way you know that this is not just manipulation is to look at Disney's own actions. Think of what their recent promotions mean. Disney is effectively giving a 43% discount. Think of how drastic that is and what it means to the bottom line. Disney is advertising to the investment community that it is going to have significant decline in its revenue. It isn't a leap for analysts to make these projections.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta be honest here.

After the year I've had with my own job, and the company I worked for (Anhueser-Busch), and looking around at the rest of the economy.

I don't care what anybody from Wall Street has to say. When they open their greedy little mouths; I run.

hard

and really really fast

the other direction
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JRocker View Post
    I gotta be honest here.

After the year I've had with my own job, and the company I worked for (Anhueser-Busch), and looking around at the rest of the economy.

I don't care what anybody from Wall Street has to say. When they open their greedy little mouths; I run.

hard

and really really fast

the other direction
    Sounds like you could use a Heineken...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I'm not going to try to get into economics 101 here, but a analyst lowering the rating also impacts on how all financial dealings with a company work. The value of your company is evaluated in almost every deal and relation with other companies and in dealings with banks. If your business is seen as being in decline it is much harder to get funding and cut deals.
    Right, and if you had bothered to quote the rest of my post, you'd see that I addressed that very issue.

Now a reduction of their credit rating (which I don't believe has occurred yet) could make their cost-to-borrow higher. That could be a possible issue.
    If a company's bond or credit rating is lowered, then yes ... their cost to access funds will go up. That hasn't happened. This analyst was just lowering an earnings forecast.

Look I don't need "economics 101" ... I spent the last 6 years working in the mortgage industry. Ratings agency action, cost to borrow, and all that was basically my entire life during 2007 and 2008. I get how it works.

This isn't like when Moody's or S&P lowers your rating. This guy just adjusted his earnings forecast for Disney. It's not at all the same thing and, frankly, should have a very, very limited impact on their cost to borrow.

In fact, less than a month ago Disney put forth a $1 billion bond offering that received an 'A' rating from S&P.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Consider the source

In fact, less than a month ago Disney put forth a $1 billion bond offering that received an 'A' rating from S&P.
    Not that I disagree with your position, like I said - consider the source.
    How much credence does Fitch, Moodys or S&P have any more after their rubber-stamping of the derivatives issued (a.k.a. "Toxic Debt") from Subprime Tranches?

Disney is still a solid company, they may find borrowing terms are not favorable right now though. Just last year I read a very interesting interview with Mr. Eisner. One quote from it still sticks in my head. He said that a family will put off the purchase of a new refrigerator in order to attend a Disney vacation. I wonder if that will hold true in 2009?

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope all of this means more discounts for us working schmoes who want to still plan a WDW visit, especially for the second half of the year. They've got some great discounts for the first half of the year, how about something for those of us wanting to go in late July.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if any of these Analysts were in Epcot October 10, 2008? If they were perhaps they'd have a "different" view. Because it was pretty much body to body, all the hotels were booked solid.

Alas...my fantasy of an empty park was blown to bits.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

lockedoutlogic Guest

Right, and if you had bothered to quote the rest of my post, you'd see that I addressed that very issue.

If a company's bond or credit rating is lowered, then yes ... their cost to access funds will go up. That hasn't happened. This analyst was just lowering an earnings forecast.

Look I don't need "economics 101" ... I spent the last 6 years working in the mortgage industry. Ratings agency action, cost to borrow, and all that was basically my entire life during 2007 and 2008. I get how it works.

This isn't like when Moody's or S&P lowers your rating. This guy just adjusted his earnings forecast for Disney. It's not at all the same thing and, frankly, should have a very, very limited impact on their cost to borrow.

you guys did a heck of a job....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    you guys did a heck of a job....
    LOL!

Hey, I didn't make the calls, believe me. I just cleaned up the messes from the guys who did.

Not surprisingly, they all took huge golden parachutes and "retired" right before things fell apart.

Go figure!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    I just hope all of this means more discounts for us working schmoes who want to still plan a WDW visit, especially for the second half of the year. They've got some great discounts for the first half of the year, how about something for those of us wanting to go in late July.
    You know what, that's what I've been saying all along, as well. Disney will always be a sound company, a sound investment -- they'll get through this downturn just like they've gotten through all the others. Sure, we may have a few less new attractions to visit and a few less CM's around, but that's fine by me.... it'll still be Disney.

On the other hand, my pocketbook would surely enjoy some benefit from their "downturn"!! I'm sure there are quite a few of us waiting to see what the fall specials will hold before we commit... they'll have to at least be as good as the spring ones to get many of us down there this year....
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

lockedoutlogic Guest

LOL!

Hey, I didn't make the calls, believe me. I just cleaned up the messes from the guys who did.

Not surprisingly, they all took huge golden parachutes and "retired" right before things fell apart.

Go figure!
    shocking....

Post Thanks / Like

Executives at every publicly traded company like Disney do care a great deal what analysts say.
    (1) If Morgan Stanley (or other large brokerage firms') clients don't buy Disney stock, Disney stock goes down.
    (2) Other shareholders (the true owners of the company) get mad when their shares go down.
    (3) If they get mad enough, they demand cutbacks in spending
    (4) If they get really mad, shareholders vote out company executives (which brings me back to...executives at every publicly traded company like Disney do care what analysts say.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Sure, we may have a few less new attractions to visit and a few less CM's around, but that's fine by me.... it'll still be Disney.
    Do you remember what a mess the parks were in the latter part of the 90's and into the 2000s? Less cast members and capital = deferred maintenance and poor customer service. It takes WDW time to dig out from the holes it creates. WDW has made some nice strides as of late, and I'd hate to see that trend reversed. This kind of economy and kowtowing to Wall Street will force Disney to do just that if things don't turn around soon enough.

On another note, we're going down for 4 days next week and we also had a hard time getting into any other DVC resort other than OKW for a 2 BR unit.... That did seem odd to us, going at such a low demand time. Sad the weather won't by 80 and sunny, but I'll take 71 and sunny any day over -10.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post
    Do you remember what a mess the parks were in the latter part of the 90's and into the 2000s? Less cast members and capital = deferred maintenance and poor customer service. It takes WDW time to dig out from the holes it creates. WDW has made some nice strides as of late, and I'd hate to see that trend reversed. This kind of economy and kowtowing to Wall Street will force Disney to do just that if things don't turn around soon enough.

On another note, we're going down for 4 days next week and we also had a hard time getting into any other DVC resort other than OKW for a 2 BR unit.... That did seem odd to us, going at such a low demand time. Sad the weather won't by 80 and sunny, but I'll take 71 and sunny any day over -10.
    as i stated in another thread the other day....

one of the member services drones at DVC told my wife last weekend that their demand for rooms was WAY above the projections that had been passed through the halls at DVC...

That's odd.....i think that if the economy sinks further...almost an inevitability.....you will all of a sudden, see a sharp decline in DVC reservations as well...

My theory is that alot of the newer (past 5 years) owners bought on credit they shouldn't have had and are now attempting to "ride the pony" until it collapses before sell off....

If the DVC spending patterns were like every other sector of the economy (which would be logical)...then that would be the case....

but it's just a theory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    LOL, us too. We have a trip planned for April, so lighter crowds would be nice even if it means shorter hours.

Also WDWNut02
    to Intercot!
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I am headin down from Michigan this March (although i have some convincing to do with the wife)

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this, but it is only going to get worse. I expect it will be real bad by the end of the year and well into 2010. I still have a planned vacation at WDW December 27th-January 4th. With all the hopes of the new President, I don't think he is going to get all the things he wants done. We are just to far into the down turn to right the ship over night. I think you will see a lot of cancelled reservations this year. I think you could see a 25% drop in attendence this year also. It will not make any difference if you give people free rooms for their stay. If the unemployment rate keeps climbing the chances of some of them that have reservations will cancel. I know of four families in my area that have already cancelled. I think the parks will cut back even more in the upcoming months. Don't be surprised if they don't have as many MNSSHP or MVMCP's this year. So don't get your hopes to high.
    I for one don't want any of things to come to past. But just be prepared.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Who's to say these analysts don't release these reports and then make a ton of money selling short on Disney stock?
    I haven't taken economics 101. Can someone tell me what this means? An easy to understand answer please. I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    My theory is that alot of the newer (past 5 years) owners bought on credit they shouldn't have had and are now attempting to "ride the pony" until it collapses before sell off....

If the DVC spending patterns were like every other sector of the economy (which would be logical)...then that would be the case....

but it's just a theory
    So from what I understand, Disney has the right to void any resale that they deem is below their perceived value. Do you think they'll say "no" to all these resales or do you think they'll allow lower prices?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I haven't taken economics 101. Can someone tell me what this means? An easy to understand answer please. I'm just curious.
    Short selling is sort of the opposite of what you normally think of when you think of buying stock.

Instead of "going long" whereby you buy a stock at price x and hope to someday be able to sell that stock at x plus some percentage increase, with short selling you sell a stock you don't actually own with the hopes of buying it later at a cheaper price.

It's kind of complicated and one of those things you sort of have to wonder, "Why is anyone allowed to do this?"
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: