Quantcast What do you do when the parks first open

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do when the parks first open

As many time as I have been to DW and waited at the gates like everyone else when they drop the rope do you run with the crowd or hang back and take it all in.

I know that most want to be on a particular ride first and not fight the crowd, but you know even though I do not run to a popular attaction I still get on with little wait. What do you do and what do you think about this?

Are you a runner?
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time we were runners, was when we hightailed it to TSM at rope drop. It was exciting and fun to be caught up in that moment, but I would not make a habit of it. Not on every trip, just for a few select special things I suppose.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that 95% of the time we are the extreme first people on the ride, or at least on the first ride cycle. We don't run, we Disney Walk!!! And yes, that term is used in our daily vernacular. We also "drop it down" which means "drop it into Disney gear"!!! We're very serious about park opening.

Oh yeah, we also have a "Disney Manuever"!!!
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

My Disney run list:
    MK: Space Mountain
    Epcot: Test Track
    DHS: Haven't done TSM, but probably that
    AK: Everest
    DL: Nemo
    DCA: TSM
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

It's more like a crawl than a run, but:

MK: Peter Pan's Flight

Epcot: Soarin

DHS: TSM

AK: Safari
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Husband and I don't typically run but we do have an agenda. We usually go for a fastpass first then go do something bigger that has a long wait. For example at AK we get a fastpass for Everest first then go to the Kilamanjaro Safari.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip my 14 yr old son and i ran to Space Mountain, RocknRoller Coaster and Everest. We were chastised each time by cast members yelling at us, "No running in the parks!" I'm sorry, but i kept running and laughing at myself all the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite know how I do it, but I seem to be able to both run and take it all in at the same time - except for AK. There is just too much to see to take it all in when running, and we always have the argument over who's getting the fastpasses for EE and who's getting getting in line for the safari.
    Jambo everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a runner here. It just seems silly to me. I mean like the OP said I still get on with practically no wait so why bother running?
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering we've always had to stop and get a stroller we never bother running. We did have an early Crystal Palace breakfast at MK and were able to be at rope drop near fantasy land. My youngest wanted to try to be the first in Tinkerbell's shop to wake her. We were the only people waiting near the rope for the longest time. Everyone else in the area seemed to either be going to BBB or CRT. Unfortunately a little girl arrived at the rope moments before rope drop and a nice CM who we had been chatting with asked the little girl if she'd like to wake Tink. My son was devastated. So instead we decided to try to be first in line for Peter Pan for him. We did a little jog and were indeed first in line. Other than that, no running for our family.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haaa..

Running....NO WAY! We DO NOT run for anything at WDW, we try to take it all in. Honestly we have never had a problem getting on a ride because of not running. We walk and head straight for whatever suits our fancy at the moment. But running to an attraction, never!!!
    Last trip February 2008 - Saratoga Springs

Next trip May 8-17 2009 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

At MK, we speed walk to Buzz for fast passes and rides.

At DHS (MGM), we speed walk to Toy Story Mania for fast passes and a ride (now).

At EPCOT, we get Soarin' fast passes and then head to Test Track and Mission Space.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
    We don't run, we Disney Walk!!!
    Agreed! We definitely do NOT run for anything, but we do have a pretty brisk walk when heading for our favorite attractions at a park opening.
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)
    Disneyland Hotel ('08, '14)

Next Up: Beach Club- Oct 2016

Post Thanks / Like

We do the disneywalk...go to the main attraction we want to get done and then stop and take everything in. That way we don't feel like we might miss our ride and we don't feel rushed.

Next Trip - November 2016 - All Star Sports
    March 2009 - All Star Movies
    Nov. 07 - All Star Sports
    March 2006 - All Star Movies
    March 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2000
    June 1994
    September 1988
    April 1984
    May 1978
    1974 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

We are not runners. We like to take it all in and we have seen a couple of accidents (people running in to each other and falling, and others ignoring the people on the ground, reminded us of christmas shoppers) that cured the desire to run. The only time we ever picked up the pace was when we were in Disneyland and speed walked to Toy Story Mania.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
    Dec. 1999--Poly
    June 2000--Disneyland
    Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
    Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
    Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll admit it...I'm NOT a morning person and while I stay until closing I've only made it to one opening despite my best intentions. Next trip I am going to be there at openings and not half an hour later (and this is written with the best of intentions, we'll see if it or the snooze button win out!) and I don't run for anything (except when I'm late for a class!) so we will be watching everyone else and taking it all in. Eventually we'll get where we want to go.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I have run in the past, but aging has slowed me down quite a bit. Previous runs have been for:

Space Mountain - MK
    Soaring - Epcot
    Everest - AK

That's pretty much been it. Rides that can back up pretty quickly.

For the second two, I would run to get on, and then grab a fast pass either on the way in, or on the way out.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we've ever been there for opening time, when we do get there we don't tend to run but first visit to each park in a vacation we seem to have a pattern.

Magic Kingdom - get on the Walt Disney World Railroad and head for Mickey's Toontown Fair. meet Mickey and his friends, have a look around and start our list of rollercoasters to 'conquer' with Goofy's Barnstormer, then head for tomorrowland and get a Fastpass for Space Mountain. On returns later in the vacation we may take the train to Frontierland or maybe just walk to somewhere liek Adventureland.

Epcot - again no rush but in the past we have had a picture taken by the fountain at the front, then gone to Spaceship Earth. After this we then pick upa Fastpass for Testtrack at some point. We then explore future world first. World Showcase is then something we do in the evening.

MGM (as it was called when we last went) - slightly more of a rush, heading for Tower of Terror. We get a Fastpass if the queue is long, if not just go for it. After that is Rock & Rollercoaster. Though in future visits I'd imagine Toy Story Mania will be high on the list.

Animal Kingdom - No rush here, head for the Safari in the morning before it gets too hot and the animals get sleepy. Following on from this we have the Kali River rapids, we do these early so that there is time for the sun to come out and everyone to dry out. It's Tough to be a Bug is done in the middle of the day when it's getting a bit too hot. Also at the start of the day we like to get the character breakfast in at Donald's Restraunasaurus. Last time we went to WDW they were building Everest, I'd imagine in future this will be another one high on the list of things to do.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

not exactly sure cause we're still sleeping.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

Why, we walk in......HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist.

We are not runners by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe for TSM in May, since we haven't ridden it yet, unbelievably.

We are strollers by nature, and like to take everything in. The sights, the sounds, the smells. I just adore walking down Main Street looking at everything, even though I've seen it already, but I still enjoy it. And the smells coming from the candy shop and the bakery. Yummy!! And that Main Street music loop, is to die for. I listen to live 365 quite often in the mornings (when I'm not working) and enjoy the Main Street Loop so I can get my fix. It's awesome!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: