Quantcast Brad's Happy Holiday Adventure - Day Two, Part One

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Brad's Happy Holiday Adventure - Day Two, Part One

Who: Just me – my third consecutive solo trip.
    When: Dec. 10-20
    Where: Pop Century, room 6459

Day Two, Part One – A Soggy Start

Mickey & Stitch woke me up at 6:30, and I managed to stagger out of bed around 7 ( I am NOT a morning person). Flipped the TV on to get the weather, and sure enough, a cold front had moved thru overnight & temps had plummeted into the upper 40’s. Brrr… Prepped & ready, I was out the door by 7:45, grabbed an OJ from the food court, and was in the MK bus line by 8. Missed the opening ceremony, but due to the cool weather & immanent rain, crowds were incredibly light! Entered MK via the left tunnel (tradition 1 met), and strolled lazily down Main Street toward the Hub. Stopped by the Partners statue & said my usual Thank You to Walt (tradition 2 met), then headed thru the Castle (tradition 3 met) to Fantasyland.

The first ride I ever rode in WDW, way back in 1971 was IASW, so naturally I have to ride it first each trip. Surprisingly, there was a small wait! After visiting the Dolls (tradition 4 met), I took advantage of the light crowds & managed to ride/see PP, Philharmagic, Snow White, & Pooh all in less than an hour! By the time I exited Pooh however, it truly was a blustery day with a steady, cold rain coming down, and a bit of a breeze just to make things really miserable. No problem, no poncho either, but I’ll soldier on.

Off to Tomorrowland, I rode the TTA, then decided to see CoP just to get out of the rain & warm up a bit. I know it’s corny & dated, but I really like this show. If they ever decide to close it, they’ll be getting a very strongly worded letter from me. After CoP, I was headed for Liberty Square & Frontierland, but thought I might give SGE a shot, after all, there wasn’t a wait. OK, to be fair, if you’re a 5 year old who really like Stitch, this attraction might hold some appeal. However, all I could think of as I was exiting was “What was I thinking?” Oh well, at least it was warm in there.

By the time I reached Liberty Square, the skies were really looking ominous. The Riverboat was loading, so I jumped on board, as I hadn’t rode in a number of years. Good thing I did, as an absolute deluge descended upon us just as we were pulling away from the dock. Staying on the covered mid deck (like everyone else) I enjoyed the trip on the Rivers of America. Pulling into the dock, it briefly let up as we were exiting, but by the time I got to CBJ it was pouring again. CBJ was packed! Probably due to the relentless downpour outside. I hadn’t seen this many people in the wait area for this in years! Yup, another corny show, but I still get a kick out of it & always laugh over “Momma Don’t Whup Little Buford”.

I had a 2:45 lunch ADR at Kona, and looking at my watch I figured I had just enough time to ride HM & get to the Poly to eat. Well, it was still raining heavily & on my way there I got completely soaked & stepped in an ankle-deep puddle right by the Liberty Bell. Now I was simply miserable. No HM today, I needed to get warm and dry ASAP. I headed for the resort monorail. Nuts! It’s broken down & they’re not sure when it’ll be running again. I grab a boat to the Poly. I was a good 40 minutes early for my ADR, so I headed into the Tambu lounge hoping I could get something like an irish coffee to warm myself. No such luck, but I did have a nice warming Grand Marinier while I waited for my ADR.

Feeling a little better, I wandered thru the gift shop, checked out all the xmas decorations, and finally headed for Kona. I was seated almost immediately, and
    Ordered the potstickers, the traditional Hawaiian plate lunch, and a nice crème brulee’ for dessert. Yummy! Although it did take an inordinate amount of time for my entrée’ to arrive. After lunch, I was still a bit soggy even though the rain had gone away & it was sunny by this time. I had planned on spending the evening in Epcot, so I went back to Pop, took a short nap, changed into some dry clothes & got ready for a fun filled night. Part Two to follow.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Glad that you were able to complete your traditions.
    I can feel your pain at a cold wet day at MK.
    I once went to Mk in Feb. and wore long Johns that I had on for the plane ride, I was really glad that I had them on.
    The best part was the short lines in the park.
    I guess a lot of people just did not want to brave the weather.
    looking forward to reading more of your trip!
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Ick! What a wet start!

At least a wet day at Disney is better than a snowy day at home! I hope the weather got better!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you - soldiering on despite the weather! Even so, I hope the weather is nicer for your evening adventures!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good part of your day... despite the weather! I am getting cold having just read it!

Thanks for sharing... can't wait to read the rest of your trip!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the weather. I feel chilly and damp just reading your report. Sounds like a great lunch at Kona! Can't beat that.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up All wet

Brad: That report was all wet. Does sound like what I would do though. Can't wait for your EPCOT report. Good Job.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Just what you expected when you left Michigan, right? COLD AND RAIN in Florida!

I love your traditions, Brad - we we do the same thing in our family!
    if you’re a 5 year old who really like Stitch, this attraction might hold some appeal. However, all I could think of as I was exiting was “What was I thinking?”
    Trust me, even 10 year olds like the attraction, leaving their parents saying the same thing!!!

Hopefully the weather will clear & you'll have a marvelous time at Epcot!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Brad~

Funny, in all the times I have gone to Disney I have never been anything but HOT, so you looking for places to warm up is completely foreign to me...LOL!
    Sorry your day was wet and miserable, however you did manage to make the most of it, and nothing warms your body up like some good "spirits" in the tambu lounge!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the wet start - I think the cold temps would bug me more!

Like the traditions and I also still jump on my first ride from way back in '73....Tomorrowland Speedway. Seemed to be much faster back then!

BTW - we share the same B-day (you have a couple extra candles on yours!!)

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great morning and afternoon in the MK!! lunch sounded very yummy also..off to go read about the rest of your day!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

The rain that day was just terrible! I can feel your pain We didn't even attempt to take the kids anywhere until it cleared up later in the afternoon.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry all was wet. I hate nothing more than squishing around in my sneakers. Must get dry!! I love Kona, the food, the service awesome!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Even with the cold & rain it sounds like a nice first half of the day.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: