Quantcast Norwalk Virus at WDW? Say It Isn't So! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's what I had about a week before Christmas. Not at WDW, but here at home. Kept me away from work for one day and feeling icky for two.

I think that with as many people that are there, it's always at WDW, just like anywhere there are large concentrations of people, just in different levels of intensity.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Well...the Norwalk virus hit my home address this week....

and let me tell you....it's everybit as nasty as you might imagine....

Nasty....

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I both had the virus on our first ever 10 day trip to the World (usually go for 8). We arrived on a Wed. and by Thursday night I had all the symptoms--in bed all day Friday and part of the day on Saturday. Sunday night my husband got it. We only had 3 good days--the worst trip ever because in addition my DH got a shinsplint and could barely walk.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no... now I'm afraid. We leave Friday and the thought of being in a tiny room with 3 vomiting children is not taking me to a happy place. I'm stocking up on Lysol, Purell, and we're ditching the comforters immediately. I'm bringing our pillows too.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a stomach bug last week and my husband got it this week. and we havent been to disney since oct. i think the stomach bug is everywhere right now.

kate
    Oct 07 POR
    Oct 08 ASMo
    Jan 09 ASMu
    SEP 09 ASMo
    DEC 09 CBR-solo trip
    Dec 10 Pop
    Oct 11 CS
    Oct 12 CSR, Dream
    Dec 12 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda related be careful which peanut butter based snacks you choose to eat!
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I still haven't gotten anything, nor have any of my friends. And that includes my peanut butter and honey sandwiches! In fact, I'ma go make one now.

Then again, I am starting to think I've grown immune to those types of things. Strangely, I only get sick when my roommates get sick now.

Post Thanks / Like

I got this two days after Christmas. It has horrible. The worst was over after one day , but the nausousness lasted about 4 days after. It was really terrible!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

My sister had a stomach bug while in WDW last week, and my mother got bronchitis & penumonia while there as well...luckily, somehow I came home healthy...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Well, my roommate got pneumonia but she has no connection to Disney and I didn't have it. No stomach virus or anything like that.

I did, however, contract pink-eye......again. I hate working with little kids sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I wonder if thats what I caught the night before we left....I was at Cape May and after I was done eating.....I all of a sudden got this instant feeling of nausea.....I went outside to get fresh airI went outside while DBF stayed to wait for the check...and all of a sudden I knew it was going to get ugly so I RANNNNNNNN as fast as I could to the hotel room (Boardwalk Villas)...just as I got into the room I just made it to the bathroom....I was sick all night...At first I thought it was just because I was mixing Chocolate Milk with Soda...which could still be the case....All I know is I still had a feeling of nausea for days after that....But I did learn that mixing chocolate milk and soda is not a good idea....lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the norwalk virus...it can last a couple of days at the worst...

I was told NOT to take anti-diarrhea meds like pepto because they prolong the virus.

Just keep drinking fluids and rest...

We came down with it AT Disney one year and ended up spending more money on pepto and immodium than food....then found out that made it worse!

Don't hesitate to ask for them to referr you to a doctor if you are feeling very badly, it can't hurt to get checked out.
    Sometimes you'll be Sleepy, Bashful, SNEEZY, Dopey and maybe even Grumpy; but I hope you are always HAPPY at the end of the day.

Annual Pass Holder
    AKL-10th Wed Ann Sept 08
    Offsite: Mar 09 Mar 08 Mar 07 Mar 06 Mar 04, Sept 03 Mar 02 Nov 00
    ASM Mar 05
    Magic Music Days Performer May 89

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Virus Alert

Friends of mine went down to WDW over Christmas. They all got sick there, and came home sick. Recovery was very slow. Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Bluewater Beach, Wyevale, Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have just returned from Disney, and yup we both got it. We have a 2 day drive home from Disney and DH got the first night out. We thought it was food poisoning at first. That is until I got it two days later. Let me tell you this is NOT a normal stomack bug and any one who discribes as such has not had it. Norwalk in sever diarrea, vomiting, total body aches and cramping, and fever. I was litterely sitting on the toilet with a pail. The only part of me that didn't cramp was my arms, my legs where so bad that I didn't think I could get to the washroom. But please if you do get this virus, please, please, please drink lots of water. I learn the hard way. I though if I didn't drink the water, it came right back up anyhow, it would be better. NOT, the cramping and pain got worst when I didn't drink lots of water, even if it did just come right back up, at least there was something to come back up. It took me three days to get back on my feet and my stomach is still not good, it's been 10 days since I got it. DH didn't seem quite as bad, but then he doesn't usually get sick to his stomach, but how he managed in the car for a day with this virus, I could not have done it, even stopping every hour or so for washroom breaks.
    By the way, I figure I got it from using the same water bottle as DH on the 2nd day come home, after all we thought it was just food poisening.
    Donna T
    Fall/2015 - ?,
    2/2011 - ASM
    1/2010 - CBR
    1/2009 - AKL, Cruise, Poly.
    12/2007 - DL
    10/2006 - POR,
    12/2005 - AKL,
    1&12/2004 - CBR,
    Many others
    Sept. 1981 - Disneyland Hotel Honeymoon,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Norwalk Virus at Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2009

Most of the 14 members of our traveling party at Animal Kingdom Lodge came down with a horrible stomach flu about a day and a half after arriving on January 15, 2009. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and low-grade fever. The children got it the worst and my four year old threw up for 6 days. I left information with housekeeping about which rooms needed special attention because of the illness in those rooms. When my sister purchased some children's Tylenol in the gift shop, one of the cashiers asked if the kids were sick. When she said that most of our party was sick with a stomach flu, the woman said, "God, no matter how much they clean, they can't get rid of that. It's been going around for at least 3 weeks. About two weeks after returning home, our preschool director noted that another family got sick at Disney in late January and asked which hotel the other family stayed at: Animal Kingdom Lodge! Twelve of them were there from January21st through January 25th, 2009 and had the same symptoms as we did. My mother, who got sick while we were there gave it to my dad after we got home, so this is clearly contagious and not necessarily a food-borne illness or part of the current peanut scare. The Orange County Board of Health has taken information from the members of the two traveling parties that became ill. I reported it to them after reporting the problem to Disney. No response from Disney so far, but the Board of Health is clearly taking this seriously since I've gotten foru calls in three days from them...each time collecting more and more specific information. Our doctor is sending them information as well. The kids get it far worse than the adults! Just be forewarned that this is highly contagious!

Post Thanks / Like

I did, however, contract pink-eye......again. I hate working with little kids sometimes.
    Ugh. I'm sorry. The good news--give it two years, and you'll have immunity to almost every illness commonly found in children. Take it from a first grade teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Ugh. I'm sorry. The good news--give it two years, and you'll have immunity to almost every illness commonly found in children. Take it from a first grade teacher.
    Pink eye is one that comes back though. Along with ringworm. Both of which I have gotten from kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Traveling and Sickness

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Pink eye is one that comes back though. Along with ringworm. Both of which I have gotten from kids.
    Well, I can say that I came back from our vacation a little less healthy than I left. I seem to have contracted some type of upper respiratory infection. But, I wouldn’t necessarily place the blame for it on the lodging. I would think that it was most likely transmitted by either direct contact with something touched by someone else (ride bar handles or seat belts, door handles, etc.) or being in the close vicinity of someone infected with the germs. I did notice quite a few kids with hacking coughs and runny noses while we were in the parks and on the buses running back and forth to POR.

Of course, it could have also been transmitted through the recirculated air on any of the aircraft we flew on.

You know, there is a vaccination against pinkeye. It is called "Piligard" Unfortunatley, it is only for cattle! I haven't been brave enough to try it on myself, but I can attest that the penicillin works the same.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my thirty-first year of teaching and I still get pink-eye every time it comes around!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and her family are returning from WDW today. Everyone one of them came down with a stomach virus when they were at the parks and on different days. I felt so bad for them as it was their first trip ever to the world.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: