Quantcast Another Very Mickey Christmas- Part 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Very Mickey Christmas- Part 1

Howdy all! This is my first official Intercot trip report, so bear with me folks, I can get wordy.
    We just returned from the World last week and I am still decompressing and sorting out my Mickey-ized molecules.

This was the second trip for my little family, which includes me, my hubby and our DD-6.
    We had such a wonderful time that we booked a bounce-back offer for the first time and will be returning to experience the joys of the September low-crowd season.

This was our second stay at the majestic Wilderness Lodge, a place that warms my soul like a wool blanket, a cup of hot chocolate and my favorite fuzzy slippers. I love this place so much I am almost afraid to tell others for fear that I would let out some sort of secret that would cause the Lodge to be booked solid all the time and I will never be able to get a room. So, my friends....shhhhh!

All righty, here we go. We began this trip on December 1st at 5 o'clock sharp. My gracious mother came out to pick us up and drive us to the Econo-Lodge near the airport. We live an hour and a half away from KCI and I don't like to chance bad weather keeping me from getting to my destination. Plus we like to leave our car in the drive, where it usually is, in order to not send any signals of vacancy at our humble abode in the middle of the rolling
    prairie. Anywho...as payment for her chauffeur services I treated Mom to dinner at Islamorada, a fabu seafood place

inside our new metro-area Bass Pro Shop. It was a great kick off to the trip as the theme at the BPS is thick with wilderness, wood and holiday decor and Islamorada is a themed nod to Florida and fishing....I may have to make this a tradition now that I think of it.

The Econolodge was lack-luster, quasi-clean and the fella on duty was angry with the Universe for some reason. We had to haul our bags up two flights of stairs as there was a glaring lack of an elevator.....note to self, you
    get what you pay for....next time we shall stay elsewhere. But that is all beside the point, the room served it's purpose, and we utilized the free shuttle in the morning to get quickly to our terminal.

I realize that the most stressful portion of any traveling is the actual travel. I think people at airports are in general wound-up tighter than need be. There is always someone you are never moving fast enough for....you
    hurry hurry hurry, so you can sit and wait, so you can hurry hurry hurry, so you can sit and wait. I shant rant however. All in all, it was a fine flight on a Shamu painted Southwest jet. We arrived just shy of noon...waited in a VERY long ME line, but was quite happy to do so...as I had ARRIVED! *contented sigh*

We were then expressly and magically whisked to our resort. The approach on Timberline drive is awesome, the sight of the wood posts and craftsman lanterns give me happy tingles all over. Our room wasn't ready until 3pm so we just chilled and absorbed the being-ness of the Lodge. We grabbed the first of many bites at Roaring Forks. It is a small food court with limited yet varied enough selections to make us happy. We sat on the beach, and let the reality that we were looking once again at Bay Lake sink in. Our DD built a sand snowman and found a little shell to crown him with. We hit the Mercantile for the first of many browsing and buying sessions. When we finally got our room assignment we were happy to find our request for the main courtyard was honored for our bunk-bed room, as well as the request for the 6th floor. I wanted to be up as high as possible for the best view of the lake, and as luck would have it...we were facing the magic kingdom as well.

We popped onto our first bus and headed to Epcot for our traditional "First Ride" on Spaceship Earth. We were all pleasantly entertained by the little Jetson's style movie at the end with our funny heads on futuristic bodies. Our last visit was December 06' so the SE updates were new to us. My weird hubby liked to set his language to Japanese at the beginning of his ride, even though he doesn't speak or even comprehend it....he's just weird like that. We cruised through the Seas with Nemo and stopped in to fill a hunger void in DH's tummy at Sunshine Seasons...he's a veggie and has to pick and choose from what is offered him. We located some scrumptious hummus and pita and just enjoyed the bustling setting while we gobbled it down. I wish we would have hopped over to Figment at this point as it was shut down at our later attempts to ride it, but we opted to do a quick partial tour of WS as this juncture instead. A friendly jaunt across the lagoon to Morocco led us to just sort of mindlessly wander,
    occasionally pinching ourselves......WE ARE HERE AGAIN!!! I just like to breathe deep and imprint the smells and sights around me on my memory banks.

It was quite chilly-willy this night, we had coats zipped with hats and gloves donned. Strange to arrive in the quintessentially balmy Orlando and still have rosy cheeks and noses...but it was happily seasonal anyhow. We had an 8:00 ADR for Rose and Crown...our first time, and planned just so we could finish up dinner with Illuminations. It was yummers! I had the cheese board for app. and loved it. I will go back just for that. Hubby went the Indian food route, as it's his favorite, and ordered the samosas for app. and loved it as well. He had the veg curry for dinner and I had fish and chips with mushy peas. Mine was good, but the fish was slightly too greasy. The mushy peas were awesome, it hadn't occurred to me that they would really be mushed, or mashed peas...I like! Hubby thought the curry was weird tasting but he's a bit of a curry snob, it was just more heavy on the coconut milk than he is used to. The service was lovely, and I adore the British accent the servers chatted with us in. It got a bit chaotic and slow, and well, absent as the fireworks began, but it was completely understandable. The whole place basically stopped and all shuffled out to the porch to watch under, thankfully, the roasty heat lamps. DH stayed inside in avoidance of the chill and played with his I-Phone, while DD and I had a grand moment snuggling together and taking in the excellent view of Illuminations. I really like the Peace Song addition at the end for the Holiday touch....it's the song we sing at the end of every church service, so it had extra coincidental sentiment for me.

We then made our first slow and joyfully weary trek to the bus stop, plodding slowly through FutureWorld to catch the sounds around us and take notice of the fiber optic sidewalks that seem to delight every time you come upon them. The stuffy body heat that rose up from a sardine packed bus was welcome this night, as were the aching ankles, the stuffed tummy, and the senses and heart filled with wonder and contentment. It was a wonderful "Welcome Home" away from home kind of day.

More to come.......
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That was great, can't wait to hear more!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Your first day there sounded wonderful!!! It's making me excited for us to arrive on Jan 18th!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like such a wonderful start! I am getting so excited reading these trip reports from my fellow intercotees....making me very excited for our January 6th arrival! I keep getting butterflies in my tummy picturing everything taking place while reading the reports! I am getting so anxious to be there!!!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Loved your report! I feel like I'm there right along with you..loved how you described your arrival down Timberline Drive...Great storytelling! Can't wait to read more.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

A Wonderful day at Epcot and a great resort, what a start

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report-- can't wait to hear more. You now are required to write a trip report every time because you're fabulous at it!
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

You sure do have a way with words!! I felt like I was right there with you!!

Thanks for taking the time to share. I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

wow..i really enjoyed reading your report so far..i really like the way you write..
    sounds like a good time in disney so far for a first day!! cant wait to read more!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! I'm also a big fan of Wilderness Lodge!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

What a great start. I love your writing technique!! Don't stop!

Heading off to read more. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Wilderness Lodge sounds like a great place to celebrate the holidays - can't wait to read more!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

What a great first day for your family. Can't wait to read more.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: