Quantcast Did you/would you ever take your two young kids to Disney alone?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did you/would you ever take your two young kids to Disney alone?

My children will be 6 and 4 in the spring. I want to take them (I would be doing the trip solo with them) to Disney but I wonder if this is a wise idea. Have you ever done it? What worked for you? What didn't?
    "People can be only divided into good or bad; their race, religion, nationality don't matter." Irena Krzyzanowska

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have 2 smaller children, and although I have never taken them alone, I wouldn't hesitate to do so! I'm such a huge Disney fan myself, but I know that if I took both the kids myself I would definately have to pace it and do all the things to make them happy. Most important for that would be plan, plan, plan!

Post Thanks / Like

I took my DD's while DH and DS went to a football game! We had a great time! It was a different pace than usual, but tons of fun and time to stop and smell the roses. (During flower and garden festival!) Go and have a wonderful time, enjoy them while they are small!

Post Thanks / Like

I took mine when they were 3 and 7 and was solo for part of the trip. We went to the parks in the am and stayed until they were ready to leave. The afternoons were mostly spent by the pool. Dinners were either CS and a trip to the arcade or room service and a movie followed by a good nights rest. My boys are both early to bed, early to rise and it worked out well.

The hardest part of the trip. IMO was the airport in the luggage. Now with DME that would probably make it a bit easier.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've actually considered taking all 3 of mine (at the time, ages 9, 7, & 5) by myself. My only restriction would be that everyone would have to be tall enough for at least Splash, and possibly Space (for my kids, just because they love it). You won't be able to do a child swap so they'll have to be OK riding only what ~everyone~ is tall enough to ride.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of rides....I want to make sure we can ride these things together:

Buzz
    Winnie the Pooh
    Snow White
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Haunted House
    Barnstormer I think they could go together in a seat in front of me....

What rides are only 2 seaters? I am not sure we will go to Epcot but for sure we will go to MK, AK and perhaps MGM (never been to MGM).
    "People can be only divided into good or bad; their race, religion, nationality don't matter." Irena Krzyzanowska

Post Thanks / Like

I have been at WDW alone with my two DSs! We went ahead of DH to get some extra time at the parks for a long weekend. It was this last summer and the boys were 1yo and 3yo at the time. It was nice because the little one could still fit on my lap for rides and the older one is done with a stroller. We had a great time... people were really helpful if they saw me struggling on and off the bus. CMs at the resturants were very helpful... have you tried pushing a stroller and carrying a tray?? YIKES. I can't wait to go when they are 6 and 4!

There aren't too many rides that I can think of that you would have many problems with. Do they like thrill rides? The only other thing would be to make sure you are taking enough breaks... you don't need them both to fall asleep on the way back to the hotel!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I took 5 kids alone...they were 14, 12, 10, 7 and 5. We had a blast! No problems at all. I can't think of anything that didn't work. I sat with the 7 and 5 year old while the older 3 went on some rides they didn't want to do. The only difficult part was at the end of MVMCP. The 7 and 5 year old fell asleep. We had to carry them from the bus stop back to the cabin at Fort Wilderness...

We had a fantastic trip.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I always joke about maintaining the adult to child ratio, but really it's no joke. We prefer for each adult to have a child they are responsible for. Plus, with a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old you may want to split up sometimes. The 6 yr old will likely be tall enough to ride some of the bigger rides that the 4 yr old can't. At least that was our experience when we took our 2 nieces at that age. Who watches the other while you take one to the bathroom? Do you take both with you through the line at the CS restaurants? What if one slips away from you in a crowd? Can you get both through airport security plus all your carry on items? Carrying a tray while pushing a stroller is exactly the kind of scenario I would worry about. I know the CMs are helpful, but I wouldn't want to have to count on someone else always helping me out because there might not always be someone availabale. For my family we will always have one adult per child. We just bring along grandma if we need an extra adult.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

My DH took my DS for a weekend when DS was 2 years old. They had fun, but I think DH was a little worn out by the time they got home. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyDoll (cute user name btw) I have always been a "1 adult/1 kid" type of mom. My sister has 4 kids and I have often marveled at the logistics of 1 parent having to watch 1 kids in 1 place.

So, yes ideally it would look like that, but since that isn't a possibility the question becomes "Disney or no Disney". I will take the former and unfortunatelyaAnother adult isn't really an option for me at the moment unless I hire someone (which is still possible I have to look at my overall budget).

I always take both of my kids to the bathroom, my son is still rather small he will JUST be 4 at the time of travel) so for me it isn't an issue to bring him into the ladies room. But that leads to an interesting question...does Disney have "family bathrooms" like they have in Target?

I am planning on only having 1 bag of carry-on luggage so I don't think security will be more of a pain then it already is. Thankfully we are leaving on a direct flight through a small local airport.

In terms of a stroller DD can push it, if I even bring one (I am still on fence about that one). Losing a kid....it could (and does) happen to families traveling with 2 parents, no? I mean that IS a worry for sure. I have to remember to take those pics of the kids EVERY morning so I have a visual of what they had on etc. I also think I will put a piece of tape with my cell phone number on the back of it.

What rides are only two seaters that are kids 6 and under are allowed to ride. I could cry I can't find my "Unofficial Guide" anywhere. I don't want to buy a new one, but I do really need it to plan. I have the Passporter book, but I love working with the two books together ya know?

Post Thanks / Like

It really all depends on the maturity level of the children involved. For example, if one or both of them should become separated from you at a park will they be mature enough to stay in the area and ask a Cast Member for help or will they panic and run around?

I know that our children were expected from an early age to be able to look for help and to not panic. Of course, don't mistake be scared with being panicked. If your gets separated from you they will certainly be scared, that is perfectly normal, however being panicked is when they lose all common sense do silly things.

You also need to be sure that they can give their name and your name as well as a description of what you look like and what you are wearing when they look for help. Also, if you have your cell phone along make sure your child knows that number as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its doable. I would take my kids alone if the only other alternative were not to go at all. I don't think you'll have many problems. After all, lots of people have more than just two kids, at that point even if you and your spouse are on vacation you won't have 1 adult per 1 child. I mean do you stop vacationing once you have your thrid child? Of course not. If it were me, my kids would just have to come into the ladies restroom with me, or I'd find a family restroom. I know there are some in WDW, just not sure exactly where. Also my kids would be told ahead of time that we can only ride the rides that everyone is tall enough for, or wants to ride. Kids will understand that this is a special situtation and that they are lucky to be WDW at all. I know my kids wouldn't put up a fuss if they couldn't ride a few rides if I were the only adult with them. My DH is supposed to be going back to Iraq in 2010 and I will most likely take my kids to WDW alone, unless my mother comes with me. I say go and have a great time.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really comes down to personal decision. If your kids have easy going personalities and listen to mommy (always a plus) then go for it. If you have a kid that doesn't listen so well....it could make a not-so-happy time for you....

While my son is well behaved...he is a handful...extremely stubborn and energetic....no temper tantrums and generally a good kid...but I definitely need help with him....I would probably be able to do the trip alone...but not sure how much I would enjoy myself.

It sounds like behavior is not a problem with your kids but rather a hesitation on your end on whether you can wing it on your own....I think you can.

There is a website that you can order temporary tattoos with you cell # on it to put on your kids each day. If you send me a PM I will give you the info.

Have fun!!!
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the kids. If I had two kids that behave as well as my daughter, I would not hesitate.

My son on the other hand.....
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

My kids and I have been doing it solo for years now. My husband doesn't have the freedom in his schedule that we have, so I take them alone quite often. For our first solo trip, my girls were 4 and my oldest son was 6. Now I have four kids and we still hit the parks without dad. But now I have a 3 yr old, my girls are now 8 and my oldest is 10. And we've been doing this since my baby was 9mos old.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

In 2000, the 3 of us (2 DS and myself) started a tradition of spending a week during Christmas break at WDW. The first year, they were 5 and 8. Probably the toughest part is the bathrooms. However, we wouldn't be the family we are now without the bonding that came from these yearly trips. Who can ride what, with whom, my turn, your turn, I'm tired, I'm not.....so on and so on. It's been great!!!! Yes, you'll be exhausted and sometimes exasperated, but don't miss the experience. My 17 year old is the greatest kid, but doesn't show much emotion until the WDW trip comes around, and then all of a sudden he reverts back to that 8 year old. And my 13 year old loves the traditions we've created. And according to my WDW countdown calendar, we have 12 more days until my sons revert back to 8 and 5 years old. I'm glad I didn't let the fact that I'm a single mom keep us home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the encouragement. I am really really looking forward to it.

I was thinking of coming up with a game and using flash cards, like green, yellow and red. If the kids start acting up I will give them a card. If we get to red card we leave the park.

My dd is a really easy going kid and the older one. She is also very helpful which is great.

My son is tough in the sense that he doesn't always listen. He is more stubborn than my dd. I think if I have some sort of easy card system (nothing fancy just something that can fit in my pocket) it might be helpful. Also if it somesort of thing the kid can physically hold it might be more effective than just a verbal warning yk?

The one blessing is, for the most part, my kids get along. What do you think about hiring a babysitter one day? Is that a totally extravagant idea? I was thinking one of the long days, like go in the morning, come back to the hotel for a break (send said babysitter home) and then go back at night with the sitter for the parade etc.

Post Thanks / Like

the green-yellow-red system is a good one. They use it in my sons class at school ( he is 6). Everyone starts on green---then its yellow----and once red hits....well, you can decide on what happens then.

There are some wonderful babysitting services available while at WDW. I would take advantage of the fact that you can get it.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Wife doesn't usually want to go to Dis with us (hard to imagine, I know) so my two sons and I have always headed down whenever the spark hits us.
    First visit-1972
    Contemporary-Ft Wilderness-Royal Palace/DTD-AS Music-AS Movies-AS Sports-Coranado Springs-Pop Century-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Port Orleans Riverside-Hilton/DTD-Port Orleans French Quarter-Caribbean Beach
    Last visit-Mar 2011
    Next visit-Sep 2011

WarEagle

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: